Your local news

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Your local news

Postby cmsellers » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Tesseracts wrote:By the way Castle Island is a complete lie. It's not a castle, and it's not an island. It should be called fort peninsula.

What about Fort Head?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Albatross727 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:08 pm

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, is under fire for a speech he gave to the Scottish Labour conference (I believe yesterday) in which he said there was,
no difference between those who try to divide us on the basis of whether we're English or Scottish, and those who try to divide us on the basis of our background, race or religion.

This has understandably upset the Scottish National Party, at whom the reference was aimed. Their leader, Nicola Sturgeon tweeted that,
It is an insult to all those Scots who support independence for reasons of inclusion & social justice - the antithesis of what he says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39089604

My opinion, for what it's worth...
Spoiler: show
If you look at the quote in context (you can read it in the link) I don't think Khan was saying that there's no difference between being in favour of Scottish independence and being racist, that's just how it sounded and he really should have seen the criticism coming and changed the wording. What he meant was that it's hypocritical to argue against the kind of divisive, right-wing populism we've seen increasingly more of recently while trying to achieve the independence of one specific part of the country from the rest. In short, according to Sadiq Khan at least, it's not really any different to believe in putting 'Scotland first' than it is wanting to put 'Britain first'.

I don't fully agree with him and I think the reference to racist/religious bigotry was unnecessary, but I do think there is at least a grain of uncomfortable truth for the supposedly liberal SNP. That said I'm pretty sure that if I were Scottish I'd be wanting independence now.

I didn't choose the furry life, the furry life chose me.
Albatross727
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: TCS Birdmaster General

Postby JamishT » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 am

Back home, a junior in high school passed away unexpectedly (because of a preexisting condition, and he went in his sleep [I'm so sad for his mom or whoever found him especially]). Being that the high school has about 500-600 students, it's huge news, and the whole Valley seems to have come together with businesses closed on the day of his funeral and stuff. Also a GoFundMe has raised over $12k in about 2 days, which is crazy to me based on the average income of the small population of the Valley.

Yep.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Absentia » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:40 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-bolivia-france-videogames-idUSKBN1692PK

Bolivia is pissed about Ghost Recon: Wildlands, sends request to the French embassy to ask Ubisoft to tone the "Bolivia, land of cocaine-fuelled cartels" down.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Piter Lauchy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:07 pm

JamishT wrote:Back home, a junior in high school passed away unexpectedly (because of a preexisting condition, and he went in his sleep [I'm so sad for his mom or whoever found him especially]). Being that the high school has about 500-600 students, it's huge news, and the whole Valley seems to have come together with businesses closed on the day of his funeral and stuff. Also a GoFundMe has raised over $12k in about 2 days, which is crazy to me based on the average income of the small population of the Valley.

Yep.

While I'd obviously prefer these kinds of tragedies didn't happen, I'm always touched by the people's reactions. All petty differences are forgotten and everyone bands together. Goes to show that people are amazing when shit hits the fan.

As for my local news: My knowledge of this is mainly based on headlines, so it might be inaccurate, but basically Turkish politicians were banned from campaigning here. If you're wondering why Turkish politicians would want to campaign in Germany, there are many Turks with dual citizenship here.
German officials aren't happy with Turkey's transition into a dictatorship and want nothing to do with that, so they banned that shit. Erdogan, upstanding gentleman that he is, invoked Godwin's Law by comparing this to Nazi practices. Merkel's response was chill as always, basically saying that these accusations couldn't be addressed seriously because all they do is trivialize the real horrors of the holocaust.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Albatross727 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:48 pm

First Minister of Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon has announced she is going to ask the Scottish Parliament to approved a second referendum on independence! That's right! Another referendum, fucking marvellous!

Of course this is a long way short of a referendum actually happening. The Scottish Parliament will most likely vote in favour, with the SNP and the Greens (with 69 of 129 seats between them) supporting independence. The issue then goes to Westminster, where support for another referendum is much less plentiful. Which isn't to say that it definitely won't happen, but with Article 50 due to be triggered any day now and the brexit negotiations looming it's hard to imagine the UK government entering another constitutional crisis before we've dealt with the current one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotl ... s-39255256

I didn't choose the furry life, the furry life chose me.
Albatross727
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: TCS Birdmaster General

Postby Marcuse » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Albatross727 wrote:First Minister of Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon has announced she is going to ask the Scottish Parliament to approved a second referendum on independence! That's right! Another referendum, fucking marvellous!

Of course this is a long way short of a referendum actually happening. The Scottish Parliament will most likely vote in favour, with the SNP and the Greens (with 69 of 129 seats between them) supporting independence. The issue then goes to Westminster, where support for another referendum is much less plentiful. Which isn't to say that it definitely won't happen, but with Article 50 due to be triggered any day now and the brexit negotiations looming it's hard to imagine the UK government entering another constitutional crisis before we've dealt with the current one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotl ... s-39255256

I'd love to hear how the SNP tries to argue in favour of independence when their own people have said now that oil revenues should be calculated at zero because there's no way to rely on them. In the last campaign they had revenues at several billion and still had a 21 billion black hole on top of that. I really don't see how they could argue they'd be better off outside the UK even with EU trade. I do wonder if Teresa May might even block a second referendum on the grounds that the last one was only a few years ago.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Two local congressmen appear at Pride event.

I found this interesting because one of them is a Republican, specifically a Republican who thumped the hard-line conservative incumbent in the primaries last year. This is what progress looks like.

Taylor recently introduced legislation to expand housing protection based on sexual orientation or gender identity. It was believed to be the first time a Republican lawmaker was the initial sponsor on such a bill.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Nice. One of the local Republican City Council members, Jim Love, co-sponsored Jacksonville's update Human Rights Ordinance protecting the LGBT community, although he was not the initial sponsor.

I actually met him last year at an event, and he was really down-to-earth and nice.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:56 am

There's a blizzard predicted for the northeastern US tomorrow and Wednesday, and we're supposed to get around a foot and a half (45.72 cm) of snow here. Naturally, people around here are losing their collective shit.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:32 am

South by Southwest (SXSW) is going on and there's probably newsworthy stuff happening there, but I'm trying to avoid it and there doesn't seem to be anyone as important as Edward Snowdon or one of the Obamas speaking this year.

So, instead, learn about how the authorities are looking to "question" a group of Russians who "rescued" a "bat" from Ladybird Lake. Neither the bat nor the Russians have been seen since the incident.

Now, I'm not saying that the bat is a prototype spy robot sent by Vladimir Putin as he plots to foment the secession of Texas from the Union. I'm not saying that, but do we have any evidence that it's not? I'm just asking the questions nobody else will.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:26 am

This is not the hero we deserve, but the one we need.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Krashlia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:28 am

clearly a euphemism for interracial.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby El Saico » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Our Feds just launched a massive operation against several meat processing companies, including our two largest - JBS and BRF.

Apparently, they were selling expired/rotten meat with additives to mask its physical aspect, adding soy protein to increase the protein content and so on, all with hefty bribes to the Ministry of Agriculture inspectors for letting it pass.

No English links yet, but the thing has just exploded.

The path to wisdom does, in fact, begin with a single step.

Where people go wrong is in ignoring all the thousand other steps that come after it. They make the single step of deciding to become one with the universe, and for some reason forget to take the logical next step of living for 70 years on a mountain and a daily bowl of rice and yak-butter tea that'd give it any kind of meaning. While evidence says that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, they’re probably all first steps.
El Saico
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Serial Hit-and-Runner

PreviousNext