The Boston Marathon

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The Boston Marathon

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 am

ABC News has a couple pictures of the backpack investigators think housed one of the bombs, as well as remains of the bomb itself.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby jayman419 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 pm

Here's a sequence of pictures and video captures that point out two suspects, compiled and organized by 4chan. I'm pretty sure it's what the cops and the FBI are basing their current search on.

Even after all this time, the Sun never says to the Earth "You owe me".
Look what happens with a love like that... it lights the whole sky.
~Hafiz
jayman419
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Wow... if they somehow manage to find a lead based on some guy's facebook pics, I will never complain about dumbasses with their smartphones again...

Winner of meta-description contest by poll.

Having a point is over-rated.
bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby jayman419 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:17 am

Well, no reason to stop complaining about smartphones. At least not yet.

The FBI focused their investigation around the testimony of this guy so I'm pretty sure they got those two right. The 4chan think tank came up with about 5 potential suspects, but none of them matched the two guys that the FBI narrowed it down to with the help of Mr. Bauman. And I'm pretty sure a couple of guys that they were focused on (if you go through the thread I'm talking about the pair in khaki's with matching boots) were actually cops or NG or something.

But these images...

(not the guy circled, it's the guy standing next to him, facing away from the camera)

and

(same guy who was seen not ten feet from the site of one of the bombs, only without his heavy pointy backpack)

... I'd kind of like to know more about. There are several other shots of that same guy (black shirt, white hat, sunglasses above brim) and the guy in blue that they had circled in their thread, I just used the one because it showed their location relative to the site of the blast, and the other is the blowup of him later without the backpack.

Obviously the authorities are only going to release information when it's been triple-checked and they're not going to release anything that has the potential to compromise prosecuting this case or any other. And I'm pretty sure with all the manpower they have on this, 'no news is good news'. (Meaning he's probably already been investigated and ruled out.)

Even after all this time, the Sun never says to the Earth "You owe me".
Look what happens with a love like that... it lights the whole sky.
~Hafiz
jayman419
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Mr Dent » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:58 am

It appears those people are utterly innocent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22214511

http://www.smh.com.au/world/teen-wrongly-identified-as-person-connected-with-boston-marathon-blasts-20130419-2i3zb.html

Real news outlets really need to look at their processes of verifying information before publishing it. Publishing hearsay and gossip is simply dumb as fuck.

People want to contribute and be a part of something, and let's face it, the past week has been unique to say the least, shutting down Boston for a manhunt was unprecedented. But the need for professional journalism to jump on the 'first' bandwagon is alarming.

I've noticed the past few years a significant drop in integrity of journalism, these days all they seem to do is log onto facebook/twitter to get their sources. This is simply not good enough.It's even worse when they take information from websites like Reddit as fact, these people have no way of verifying information, and it cause problems for real investigations. If they want to help they should compile all the relevant data and forward it to the professionals (Police, FBI) without naming their own damn suspects.

Mr Dent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Overlord Moo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:25 am

Good news guys! They got the guy they think is responsible.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... alive?lite

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 am

I wonder if the media's going to start some Anti-Chechnya wave or something.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 am

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 am

Robert
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:29 am

Robert wrote:

Dear God.
Czech Republic is not Chechnya

Honestly I would have been able to locate the Czech Republic and Checnya on a map and I still would have considered my knowledge of the situation well below average. I seriously hope these people are nonrepresentative.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:42 am

aviel wrote:Honestly I would have been able to locate the Czech Republic and Checnya on a map and I still would have considered my knowledge of the situation well below average. I seriously hope these people are nonrepresentative.

I am informed just enough to stereotype Chechnya. I even have the tagline for their Tourism Board:
"Looking for the place thoroughly gangbanged by the decades of Soviet/Russian oppression? For a place rich in both mineral resources and religious extremism? Ever wondered what would a bastard child of Iraq & Afghanistan look like? We ARE the answer, we are Chechnya!"

I guess it is too long, but even this doesn't reflect the clusterfuck that is Chechnya.

Robert
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:04 pm

They are just suspects, I have yet to see any conclusive proof that those two were really responsible, everything I have read just points to some foreign intel which was dismissed years ago, yet everyone including the white house is acting like the situation is resolved, the boston pd posted on twitter that it was "over" , the media has started making up theories as to why they did it, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty and things like rights? This looks more like finding somebody to blame rather than justice, same with the moroccan guy who was at first called the Boston bomber and then everybody was like sorry I guess it was not him, unless I missed some crucial information which seems to somehow evade all the news sources I see, this is fucking bullshit.

P.S. In case I am wrong, I would like nothing more than to be corrected..

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Tamerlan -- the man in the black hat from FBI photos released six hours earlier -- had an improvised explosive device strapped to his chest, law enforcement officials said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... alive?lite

Okay so that is pretty damning evidence I guess.. I am surprised Reuters failed to mention that. I still feel that it was handled in very poor taste. I don't know why, it just seemed wrong, but if they had IEDs and what nots its almost impossible that it was not them....

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Aaaand just when I began feeling dumb for acting like some conspiracy nut I read this...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... combatant/

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/201 ... on-suspect

What happened in Boston was, is unforgivable, everyone involved should be hanged. Period. But all of this needs to happen with due process and within the confines of the law Suspending the constitution for an American citizen is just going to be fodder for anti- American propoganda spewing Muslim fundamentalists which will in turn create more potential terrorists. Our values of freedom and democracy mean nothing if we pick and choose who gets to benefit from them.

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:40 pm

I know many of you have covered this but I'd like to put up the same links as on my facebook.

I try to pass off good information so I hope they are helpful.

First off http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspiracy/boston.asp#crhIy8BBAMPLJtsG.01

Secondly, information on Chechnya http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/04/19/9-questions-about-chechnya-and-dagestan-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/

I see someone already covered that the guys in the pics were not the suspects and were falsely id'd as such by people on the internet and the media so I am not going to rant about that.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

PreviousNext