The Boston Marathon

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The Boston Marathon

Postby jayman419 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Mr Dent wrote:It appears those people are utterly innocent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22214511

http://www.smh.com.au/world/teen-wrongly-identified-as-person-connected-with-boston-marathon-blasts-20130419-2i3zb.html

Real news outlets really need to look at their processes of verifying information before publishing it. Publishing hearsay and gossip is simply dumb as fuck.
If they want to help they should compile all the relevant data and forward it to the professionals (Police, FBI) without naming their own damn suspects.

The 4chan thread was just trying to compile pictures, dig through them, talk about them, working the data. That's probably the same thing they were doing on reddit and the other big forums. Crowdsourced investigations have some responsibility to get the data right, but I agree that news organizations should still be held to a higher standard.

And thanks for all the links and info. Pretty sobering stuff.

Even after all this time, the Sun never says to the Earth "You owe me".
Look what happens with a love like that... it lights the whole sky.
~Hafiz
jayman419
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:59 am

bayonet wrote:They are just suspects, I have yet to see any conclusive proof that those two were really responsible, everything I have read just points to some foreign intel which was dismissed years ago, yet everyone including the white house is acting like the situation is resolved, the boston pd posted on twitter that it was "over" , the media has started making up theories as to why they did it, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty and things like rights? This looks more like finding somebody to blame rather than justice, same with the moroccan guy who was at first called the Boston bomber and then everybody was like sorry I guess it was not him, unless I missed some crucial information which seems to somehow evade all the news sources I see, this is fucking bullshit.

P.S. In case I am wrong, I would like nothing more than to be corrected..

Well look, if all that had happened was that they identified this person in the picture and then went after him, then sure, they might not be the guys. But the thing is that they found them after they'd shot a guard, and when the police pursued them, they were throwing explosives at the police. I find it tremendously unlikely that a person identified as the Boston Marathon Bomber, who started chucking explosives at police after having shot a guard, is not the actual Boston Marathon Bomber. Certainly it could be that there are very similar looking people who each happened to commit or attempt murder with explosives inside a few days, but that seems like a contrived and implausible scenario.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Mr Dent » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:51 am

jayman419 wrote:
Mr Dent wrote:It appears those people are utterly innocent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22214511

http://www.smh.com.au/world/teen-wrongly-identified-as-person-connected-with-boston-marathon-blasts-20130419-2i3zb.html

Real news outlets really need to look at their processes of verifying information before publishing it. Publishing hearsay and gossip is simply dumb as fuck.
If they want to help they should compile all the relevant data and forward it to the professionals (Police, FBI) without naming their own damn suspects.

The 4chan thread was just trying to compile pictures, dig through them, talk about them, working the data. That's probably the same thing they were doing on reddit and the other big forums. Crowdsourced investigations have some responsibility to get the data right, but I agree that news organizations should still be held to a higher standard.

And thanks for all the links and info. Pretty sobering stuff.

jayman419 wrote:Here's a sequence of pictures and video captures that point out two suspects, compiled and organized by 4chan. I'm pretty sure it's what the cops and the FBI are basing their current search on.

Mr Dent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby jayman419 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Yeah but those were my words, not 4chan's. They just called it a thinktank. They picked out a bunch of people that they thought looked suspicious.

My own opinion, based on looking through the photos they'd compiled, was that it was the guy in the blue tracksuit, and the dude with him. They were about, what? 15-25 feet from the location of one of the bombs, with heavy ass backpacks that at least one of them was photographed without prior to the bombing. That's pretty strange, in my opinion.

But since 4chan and I both lacked access to the videos that the FBI ended up basing their search on, it was pretty much impossible for the think tank's endeavor to succeed... regardless of how diligent they were about carrying it out responsibly. Also lacking from their search was the eyewitness testimony given by one of the victims.

But I don't feel bad about posting the link. Or saying that I thought it was two of the guys they'd pictured. There was a lot of misleading or conflicting information that day, some of it from the media or social media, some of it from the police themselves or other authorities involved in investigating. That's probably at least part of why they had the scanner feed shut down when they went after the suspects in Watertown. (I'm pretty sure that it was a tactical choice as well, so the suspects couldn't listen in themselves.)

I was listening and reading and learning along with everyone else.

Even after all this time, the Sun never says to the Earth "You owe me".
Look what happens with a love like that... it lights the whole sky.
~Hafiz
jayman419
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:13 pm

jayman419 wrote:Yeah but those were my words, not 4chan's. They just called it a thinktank. They picked out a bunch of people that they thought looked suspicious.

My own opinion, based on looking through the photos they'd compiled, was that it was the guy in the blue tracksuit, and the dude with him. They were about, what? 15-25 feet from the location of one of the bombs, with heavy ass backpacks that at least one of them was photographed without prior to the bombing. That's pretty strange, in my opinion.

But since 4chan and I both lacked access to the videos that the FBI ended up basing their search on, it was pretty much impossible for the think tank's endeavor to succeed... regardless of how diligent they were about carrying it out responsibly. Also lacking from their search was the eyewitness testimony given by one of the victims.

But I don't feel bad about posting the link. Or saying that I thought it was two of the guys they'd pictured. There was a lot of misleading or conflicting information that day, some of it from the media or social media, some of it from the police themselves or other authorities involved in investigating. That's probably at least part of why they had the scanner feed shut down when they went after the suspects in Watertown. (I'm pretty sure that it was a tactical choice as well, so the suspects couldn't listen in themselves.)

I was listening and reading and learning along with everyone else.

Yes but the internet never really forgets and now those people have a reputation that they really do not need especially in today's world where companies are rejecting people because their facebook profiles are not modest enough...

Winner of meta-description contest by poll.

Having a point is over-rated.
bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 pm

I agree, and I think internet "sleuthing" is something we should really try to avoid on this forum. If someone has information about an event like this, they should send it to the proper authorities. We don't need to be accusing potentially innocent people, muddying the waters and possibly ruining lives.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 pm

On the one hand, yeah, but on the other hand, Dzhokhar is already in trial.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Mr Dent » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:13 am

Ok, jayman419, I've tried several times to type out a mature reply, but I can't so I'm just going to leave it at: I vehemently disagree with you.

Mr Dent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:24 am

I will tru to type out a mature reply:

jayman, we have video of Dzokhar planting the bomb. When they were encountered, they were trying to hijack a car. They killed an officer. They were throwing explosives at police officers. Dzokhar admitted to the bombing. The evidence reasonably conclusive. We only have weak circumstantial evidence linking anyone else to the bombing and we have conclusive recorded evidence linking Dzokhar to the bombing.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:58 pm

aviel wrote:On the one hand, yeah, but on the other hand, Dzhokhar is already in trial.

Sure, I was talking about people pointing fingers before the brothers were positively identified as the bombers and saying that further speculation about "other suspects" at this point is not terribly helpful.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Previous