Guy fires gun in pizza shop because "pizzagate"

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Guy fires gun in pizza shop because "pizzagate"

Postby blehblah » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:51 pm

http://globalnews.ca/news/3106312/fake- ... ng-police/

Police say a man who said he was investigating a conspiracy theory about Hillary Clinton running a child sex ring out of a pizza place fired an assault rifle inside the Washington, D.C., restaurant Sunday.

What the hell is pizzagate, you ask? I didn't know until I read this yesterday:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-38156985

The saga of 'Pizzagate': The fake story that shows how conspiracy theories spread

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Re: Guy fires gun in pizza shop because "pizzagate"

Postby Cobra-D » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 pm

dammit bleh, I was just about to post this you bastard! damn Canadians taking our jobs.

At any rate the weird thing about this I actually heard of pizzagate in real life, someone mentioned it to me and how it was fucked up that Hillary was running this child sex slave thing. Living in L.A. I generally don't hear a lot of right wing conspiracies coming from people (left wing conspiracies though, a lot more) so it kinda threw me off.

Also If you go there to try and bust a child sex ring, why the fuck would start randomly shooting! what if you hit one of the children.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby sunglasses » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Yeah, it's pretty fucked. And Michael Flynn was tweeting along about it before the election. Since the shooting his son has claimed the reported shooting was a false flag.

FML.

For those who can't read all the links:

Pizzagate is a bullshit conspiracy theory in which people assume that the dems talking about pizza was a code for something other then delicious pizza. They then started to harrass the pizza parlour in question and send them death threats. Reddit banned r/pizzagate.

For some parts of the Internet, the leak of stolen emails from Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta provided an opportunity to scour for evidence of wrongdoing. As the Washington City Paper noted, that included a huge search for stronger ties between convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and the Clintons. What those sleuths found instead were lots of references to pizza, which then led to speculation that the emails about pizza must be code for something bad. The theory made its way onto r/The_Donald, the huge, Drumpf-supporting subreddit, until the hunt spawned its own subreddit, r/Pizzagate, which quickly attracted a dedicated team of Internet investigators.

Edit: more info here as well, including Flynn 1 and Flynn 2: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ts/509567/

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Maybe it's a good time to stop considering conspiracy theorists human. I mean, clearly they're lizard people.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Windy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 pm

blehblah wrote:What the hell is pizzagate, you ask? I didn't know until I read this yesterday:

The saga of 'Pizzagate': The fake story that shows how conspiracy theories spread

Actually there's like 3 Pizzagates.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Windy wrote:
blehblah wrote:What the hell is pizzagate, you ask? I didn't know until I read this yesterday:

What's the other two?

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Chicago style-gate and California style -gate?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby blehblah » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:45 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:Chicago style-gate and California style -gate?

Don't let's start with the thin-crust/deep-dish talk... if anything will rip asunder that nation down below where I sit (assunder, for short) it will be that.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:57 am

Hawaiian Pizza-gate.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:37 am

This pizza stuff can be filed under "Obvious Nonsense", but I've been hearing a lot of pedophilia conspiracy theories from my conservative relatives. Is there any actual evidence of the Clintons being involved in any such thing? Serious question.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:49 am

Kivutar wrote:This pizza stuff can be filed under "Obvious Nonsense", but I've been hearing a lot of pedophilia conspiracy theories from my conservative relatives. Is there any actual evidence of the Clintons being involved in any such thing? Serious question.

No. The closest thing is that Bill Clinton was friends with Jeffrey Epstein, a onetime well-connected billionaire and now convicted child rapist. Trump was friends with him as well and made public comments defending Epstein's sexual preferences when they came out, which is useful to point out if a conservative who isn't NeverTrump tries to make hay out of that.

For future reference, if there was any such evidence you'd have heard about it in the media the same way you heard about Hillary's email server, not from randos who know somebody who knows somebody who totally witnessed Bill Clinton trafficking in young children while he was governor of Arkansas and yet for some reason hasn't ever reported it (just to name one of the more popular theories).

EDIT: Was mistaken on the timing of Trump's remarks.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:20 am

I've been hearing about this for weeks, but I dismiss it for the same reason I dismiss other unsubstantiated claims of all kinds, such as, I don't know, Russian hackers backed by Putin messing with the US elections.

Apparently, this whole thing started with some people who got too much free time on their hands taking a look at some of the leaked Podesta emails and noticing some weird uses of pizza and other pizza related words, which does suggest they're actually using it as coffee for something else. I went through some of those emails myself (even though CNN told me not to) and yeah, the phrasing is certainly suspicious, but going from that to claim that the Clintons and all their associates are involved in some sort of child sex slavery ring is pretty ridiculous.

It's more likely that, just like with the whole spirit cooking thing, the people involved in those emails were referring to some sort of in-joke, and these people had no idea that pedophiles use or have in the past used similar language to talk about their perversions. Which is not to say we should just laugh it off and forget about the whole matter as a crackpot conspiracy, especially if children might be in danger. That said, until a serious investigation is conducted (and as far as I know there really is nothing to grant such a thing) there is no reason for alarm either. And this should go without saying, but even if this somehow turned out to be all true, there's no call for violence and endangering others just to "raise awareness" or whatever, as there's really not many things that might justify such a thing. This person was probably just off his meds or something.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby 52xMax » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:59 am

Cobra-D wrote:
Windy wrote:

What's the other two?

The first one dates back to pre-twitter and facebook days and it's got something to do with footballers throwing pizza at each other after a match. The second pizzagate is more recent one and it was connected to gamergate, when the same people using the hashtag showed their opponents that gg was more than a couple dozen trolls on their moms basements by getting something trending on twitter during the superbowl. And we did.

Believe it or not, the daily mirror's website got something right for once. Kinda. They still tried to add their own spin on it, because it's the fucking daily mirror. Otherwise I agree with their stances about pineapple on pizza.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology ... re-5090622

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:39 am

I've seen some of the e-mails in question.

52x is probably right...they're weird, but in the sense that there's some obtuse in-joke.

Or they're used as a codeword to refer to something else entirely, which is the impression that I got. The wording is just too off-the-wall or stilted, and they consistently refer to "pasta", "pizza", or "cheese". Something's going on, but the whole child-sex ring conspiracy is an insane logical leap based on extremely flimsy reasoning. Chances are, we'll never know what it is, and I'd rather rely on Occam's razor.

CNN, on the other hand...oh boy. Nothing like lying to your audience regarding free information.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:37 am

52xMax wrote:I've been hearing about this for weeks, but I dismiss it for the same reason I dismiss other unsubstantiated claims of all kinds, such as, I don't know, Russian hackers backed by Putin messing with the US elections.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... eaks-rele/

On Oct. 7, however — the same day WikiLeaks released the emails of Clinton campaign chair John Podesta — the Homeland Security Department and Office of the Director of National Intelligence released a joint statement that said, "The U.S. Intelligence Community (USIC) is confident that the Russian Government directed the recent compromises of emails from U.S. persons and institutions, including from U.S. political organizations."

The statement added that the recent hacks "are consistent with the methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts. These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the US election process."

A better example would be the claim that the Russian government was directly coordinating with the Trump campaign, which is unsubstantiated.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next