President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:33 am

Aquila89 wrote:Trump had an interview on 60 Minutes, where he addressed climate change:

Trump: I'm not denying climate change. But it could very well go back. You know, we're talkin' about over a millions--

Lesley Stahl: But that's denying it.

Trump: --of years. They say that we had hurricanes that were far worse than what we just had with Michael.

Stahl: Who says that? "They say"?

Trump: People say. People say that in the--

Stahl: Yeah, but what about the scientists who say it's worse than ever?

Trump: You'd have to show me the scientists because they have a very big political agenda, Lesley.

Still using his favorite source, People Are Saying.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: we are fucked.

I mean, it's not "worse than ever". Worse than humans have ever experienced perhaps, but if you go back "over a millions of years", surface temperatures in the Jurassic period averaged about 3C higher than current temperatures. And the climate could "very well go back"--again, if we're talking about timespans of millions of years as he appears to stipulate. Indeed, it'd be weird if there wasn't any further change in the climate after this one, since the climate is constantly changing.

I'm not sure how any of that is relevant, mind. The example of the Jurassic is helpful for folks concerned about a "runaway greenhouse effect" turning Earth into a Venusian hothouse planet--the planet has been through worse without creating such a runaway effect. But as far as I can tell hardly anyone believes that theory anymore; people seem more concerned about the more conservative theories that still posit serious consequences, like major disruptions in food and water supplies or the flooding of cities, regions, and even entire countries as sea levels rise. So it's entirely possible he's rambling without a real point here, though it's hard to tell because the interviewer keeps interrupting him. He's not exactly wrong, though.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Crimson847 wrote:So it's entirely possible he's rambling without a real point here, though it's hard to tell because the interviewer keeps interrupting him.

Well, I for one liked it that someone finally called his "people are saying" bullshit.

Maybe he isn't wrong, though I don't think he knows much about the theory of the runaway greenhouse effect. But as you've said, what he's saying isn't really relevant to our current problem. The climate will change back millions of years in the future - that is little comfort to us here and now.

And earlier on in the interview, Trump already said that he's not going to do anything about climate change, because he's "not sure if it's manmade".

I think something's happening. Something's changing and it'll change back again. I don't think it's a hoax, I think there's probably a difference. But I don't know that it's manmade. I will say this. I don't wanna give trillions and trillions of dollars. I don't wanna lose millions and millions of jobs. I don't wanna be put at a disadvantage.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Remember Greg Gianforte? The guy who bodyslammed a reporter in 2017 and was still elected to Congress in Montana? Well, Trump does. Gianforte pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and made an unreserved apology to the reporter in question, Ben Jacobs. At a rally in Montana today, Trump nevertheless praised him for assaulting Jacobs.

Any guy who can do a body-slam, he's my guy, [...] I had heard that he body-slammed a reporter. And he was way up... I said, 'Oh this is terrible, he's gonna lose. Then I said, 'Wait a minute, I know Montana pretty well, I think it might help him.' And it did."

The crowd responded with applause.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm

I like that.

He basically said "Oh normally this would disqualify a candidate but this is THE LAND OF HALF WITS!"

And literally everyone applauded. He understands people are pieces of shit and appeals to that. It's why he'll win again.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Useful information though. Should Rampage Jackson ever get into politics, he'll know to run in Montana.

He's also really creepy around women, which seems to be another big plus with these types.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:58 pm

*whispers* he's black

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:00 pm

On Wednesday, after pipe bombs were sent to several political enemies of his, Trump stated at a rally:

We want all sides to come together in peace and harmony. For example, those engaged in the political arena must stop treating political opponents as being morally defective — have to do that. The language of moral condemnation and destructive routine, these are arguments and disagreements that have to stop. No one should carelessly compare political opponents to historical villains — which is done often, it is done all the time, it’s gotta stop.

[...]

And by the way, do you see how nice I am behaving tonight? Have you ever seen this? We’re all behaving very well, and hopefully we can keep it that way. We’re going to keep it that way.”

On Thursday, he tweeted:

A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!

Well, that didn't last.

So if I understand it correctly, it's CNN's fault that someone sent a bomb to their offices, because they report negatively on Trump.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
So if I understand it correctly, it's CNN's fault that someone sent a bomb to their offices, because they report negatively on Trump.

It cries out in pain as it tries to hurt you.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Every time I figure, "This, right here, it is the big one," Trump overachieves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 796b2d8a4a

“Well, I try. I do try . . . and I always want to tell the truth,” Trump said in an interview with ABC News. “When I can, I tell the truth. And sometimes it turns out to be where something happens that’s different or there’s a change, but I always like to be truthful.”

That is laudable. Every snowflake or arsehole should aim for Trump's ideal; telling the his-truth, while having a laugh.

“You have caravans coming up that look a lot larger than it’s reported, actually,” Trump said. “I’m pretty good at estimating crowd size. And I’ll tell you, they look a lot bigger than people would think.”

At some point, at some time, it can be interesting to take a step-back and appreciate how brazen and amazing Trump is. He is going to sell it, every part of it all, and sell it hard.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/ ... hip-947962

President Donald Trump said Monday that he is planning to sign an executive order that would end the practice of bestowing U.S. citizenship onto babies born in the U.S. to non-citizen parents, a move almost certain to draw legal challenges on constitutional grounds.

In an interview with Axios released Tuesday, Trump said he had discussed the idea with the White House counsel and that “it’s in the process, it will happen, with an executive order.”

Wow.

That is no longer a punchline.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment,” Trump said. “Guess what? You don't."

"You can definitely do it with an act of Congress. But now they're saying I can do it just with an executive order."

Trump will become an even bigger asshole if he is put into a corner, while the alternative is a gigantic asshole who won, won, won, again, bigly- a la 63 million majority.

Let's see if there is a, "Rigged mid-terms," call.

Good luck, American friends.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Even if the Republicans maintain their hold on Congress he'll still cry about how the man is keeping him down.

He wouldn't be surprised if George Soros is funding the migrant caravan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is funding it since we're doing fucking wacky conspiracy theories as part of legit political discourse now. Create your own boogeymen and then defeat them = hero.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:11 am

iMURDAu wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is funding it since we're doing fucking wacky conspiracy theories as part of legit political discourse now. Create your own boogeymen and then defeat them = hero.

Trump did nothing after people were microchipped in Wisconsin. Thats my narrative and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by Krashlia on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 am

Krashlia wrote:Trump did nothing after people were microchipped in Wisconsin. Thats my narrative and I'm sticking too it.

The microchips were necessary to go with the new microcheeses.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby blehblah » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Krashlia wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is funding it since we're doing fucking wacky conspiracy theories as part of legit political discourse now. Create your own boogeymen and then defeat them = hero.

Trump did nothing after people were microchipped in Wisconsin. Thats my narrative and I'm sticking to it.

The diligence of the microchipping efforts are questionable, or maybe Paul Ryan was out of town that day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46046870

Mr Ryan has previously clashed with the president on issues such as healthcare and immigration, and reportedly finds working with him frustrating.

"You cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order," Mr Ryan told Kentucky-based radio station WVLK.

"We didn't like it when Obama tried changing immigration laws via executive action, and obviously as conservatives, we believe in the constitution."

Well, yeah - the whole "birthright" thing is part of the constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthrigh ... ted_States

Birthright citizenship in the United States is acquired by virtue of the circumstances of birth. It contrasts with citizenship acquired in other ways, for example by naturalization.[1] Pursuant to the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), U.S. citizenship is automatically granted to any person born within and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States (known as jus soli).[2] This includes the territories of Puerto Rico, the Marianas (Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands), and the U.S. Virgin Islands.[3][4] Birthright citizenship also applies to children born elsewhere in the world to U.S. citizens (with certain exceptions), known as jus sanguinis.

The policy stems from the Citizenship Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, stating "[a]ll persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside," and was meant to override the 1857 Dred Scott v. Sandford decision that denied African Americans citizenship.

Trump, if he were to ever read it, would surely jest, "Holy fuck, you mean we own entire islands of virgins? Is that where dead Saudi journalists go if they repent their fake news?"

The wiggle-room which Trump appears to be focusing on - so much as people are able to focus an ADD-gone-wild case like Trump - is the phrase, "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof". To me, the amendment is meant to be inclusive, for the sake of US citizens (such-as military folk) who give birth to wee Americans abroad. To interpret it as being exclusive, meaning non-citizens who give birth to wee shit-holers on American soil, creates some problems, because it can't simultaneously be one-way and both ways... if that makes sense.

The problems an exclusive interpretation would cause include:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-b ... challenges

My favourite in that list is Ted Cruz, because:

Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada.[156] Cruz's mother was a U.S. citizen and his father was born in Cuba, but his father eventually became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 2005.[157] This gave Cruz dual Canadian-American citizenship, as he was granted U.S. citizenship at the time of his birth by the virtue of his mother's citizenship, and Canada grants birthright citizenship to every person born in Canada. Cruz applied to formally renounce his Canadian citizenship and ceased being a citizen of Canada on May 14, 2014.

You guys can keep him, by the way. Shove him next to Bieber and, for crying out loud, be sure to wear your earmuffs when within earshot. Safety first, people!

Anyhow... back to the original BBC story,

Trump tweet wrote:Paul Ryan should be focusing on holding the Majority rather than giving his opinions on Birthright Citizenship, something he knows nothing about! Our new Republican Majority will work on this, Closing the Immigration Loopholes and Securing our Border!

Riiiight, so if Trump figures there is a bunch of wiggle-room on that amendment, he is, to put it lightly, very, very, fucking entirely, wrong. The Supremes will see the ramifications coming from a mile away. LIttle things, like:

Wikipedia wrote:A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Well, well, well - a well regulated militia, huh?

In the end, the idea that Trump can modify, or skirt, a part of the US constitution via executive order is up there with his middle-class tax-cut (available November 1st, year not specified).

But, Trump will continue to sell it, so long as it has people MAGA-ing in their pants at his rallies. Americans - you are now all attendees of Trump University, which has just added a constitutional law faculty.

EDIT: For clarity, changed "the phrase is meant" to "the amendment is meant" in the paragraph about the 14th amendment being inclusive vs. exclusive

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:23 pm

blehblah wrote:The wiggle-room which Trump appears to be focusing on - so much as people are able to focus an ADD-gone-wild case like Trump - is the phrase, "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof". To me, the amendment is meant to be inclusive, for the sake of US citizens (such-as military folk) who give birth to wee Americans abroad. To interpret it as being exclusive, meaning non-citizens who give birth to wee shit-holers on American soil, creates some problems, because it can't simultaneously be one-way and both ways... if that makes sense.

No, it's definitely meant to be exclusive. Jus sanguinis—the rule that you are American if your parents are—was already the practice, and so established by common law and codified by statute. That said, illegal immigrants are definitely subject to the jurisdiction on the United States. The law as passed was meant to exclude two groups: diplomats and sovereign Indian tribes, back before federal law applied to tribal members. United States vs Wong Kim Ark outlined a third exception: children born to hostile forces invading the US.

The handful of people who are saying Trump has a point are making three arguments. The simplest, similar to the one you make arguing that the clause is inclusive, is a pseudo-textualist basically "my reading says illegal immigrants aren't subject to the jurisdiction of the US because they break the law and don't get caught." This is, of course, patently ridiculous: getting away with a crime doesn't mean you're not breaking the law.

The second one is the fauxriginalist claim that the framers of the amendment never intended the law to apply to people who were not legally resident in the US because they could not have imagined mass illegal immigration, which you may recognize as the exact same argument that some people make about gun control: the framers never envisioned AR-15s, so you shouldn't be able to have one. Except that the drafters of the Amendment knew that there would be further attempts to strip people of citizenship, which is why they attempted to make it airtight.

The third argument is that illegal immigrants are similar to a hostile occupying force, because they come in great numbers and undermine the sovereignty of the US. This one also seems ridiculous to me, and it doesn't even pretend to be originalist or textualist. And yet in the highly unlikely event that the SCOTUS upheld a statutory revocation of birthright citizenship, it seems to me like this is the most likely tack they'd take.

The thing that amazes me is that the people defending Trump on this overlook the separation of powers which is an entirely separate issue on which he is also violating the Constitution. I can imagine that there is an outside chance SCOTUS might uphold a statute ending birthright citizenship, though—I will stress—a very small one. I simply cannot imagine them upholding an executive order which directly contradicts an act of Congress on a matter explicitly reserved to Congress under any circumstance.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby blehblah » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:18 am

cmsellers wrote:
The handful of people who are saying Trump has a point are making three arguments. The simplest, similar to the one you make arguing that the clause is inclusive, is a pseudo-textualist basically "my reading says illegal immigrants aren't subject to the jurisdiction of the US because they break the law and don't get caught." This is, of course, patently ridiculous: getting away with a crime doesn't mean you're not breaking the law.

Solid information throughout throughout your post, CM, and we seem to agree on much of it. The one little thing is I didn't mention illegal immigrants. Instead, I was being much simpler... smaller words, and all that.

There are two cases; children born outside of the US to US citizens, and children born in the US to non-US citizens.

What I meant by "inclusive" vs. "exclusive" is that excluding children born in the US to non-US citizens, regardless of the status of the parent(s), is exclusive, meaning, roughly, "let's make it really difficult to get US citizenship". The inclusive alternative, as is practiced in quite a few other places, makes it less difficult. It was meant in the same way as the difference between an exclusive club, and inclusive joint.

Ways other countries have dealt with it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... mp/574453/

Personally, I'm not sure if "anchor babies" and the like are actual problems in the US or Canada. It would be interesting to see if there are any credible statistics on it. Up here, we are also told we have a "health-care tourism" problem, whereby people achieve health-care in Canada, and then leave until they are sick.

I tend to believe these are statistically irrelevant issues, in the grand scheme, but I haven't seen any numbers to back that up.

I also scratch my head at online comments (sites which allow Facebook comments) about "immigrant invasion!". We have that up here, thanks to a bunch of immigrants to the US choosing to head to Canada over the last while (there is a way to deal with that).

cmsellers wrote:The thing that amazes me is that the people defending Trump on this overlook the separation of powers which is an entirely separate issue on which he is also violating the Constitution. I can imagine that there is an outside chance SCOTUS might uphold a statute ending birthright citizenship, though—I will stress—a very small one. I simply cannot imagine them upholding an executive order which directly contradicts an act of Congress on a matter explicitly reserved to Congress under any circumstance.

Ayuh, right there with ya. As I said, a tad more succinctly, "if Trump figures there is a bunch of wiggle-room on that amendment he is, to put it lightly, very, very, fucking entirely, wrong. The Supremes will see the ramifications coming from a mile away".

This is something Trump is floating out there as a trial balloon, a "woe unto you," sack of fright, because that's his game. As the Guardian put it,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-fox-news

The only thing Trump seems to fear is running out of fear itself

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext