President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:02 am

This is a pretty omnipresent problem for Presidents, at least recent ones. Obama memorably claimed it was easier to buy a gun in poor neighborhoods than a fresh vegetable, and tried to commiserate with rural Iowans about the high price of arugula at Whole Foods. Presidents don't acquire and prepare their own food (that's what the White House staff is for, among other things), and the kind of people who become Presidents are almost invariably rich enough to afford (and busy enough to want) personal shoppers and a host of other amenities that alienate them from the hoi polloi. Even the ones who weren't born rich have been living that lifestyle so long they're thoroughly out of touch with how the common man actually lives.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 am

I do not know how right he is on this—I think there were several rather more pressing issues for HW in 1992—but my father is convinced that there were two incidents in the debate which basically doomed HW's re-election bid. One incident was when he checked his watch. The other was when he could not name the price of a gallon of milk.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:04 am

I thought the famous "out of touch" incident with HW was when he was amazed to see a supermarket scanner. Except the news reports about that were misleading, he was actually impressed by a new type of scanner that could read torn or mangled bar codes.

I couldn't confirm the gallon of milk thing. This BBC article from 2012 claims that Bush "was forced to admit he did not know how much a gallon of milk cost during a debate with Bill Clinton and Ross Perot." But I looked up the transcripts of the 1992 debates and the word "milk" does not appear.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:22 pm

To me, there's quite a leap from not knowing the cost of staple foods (I don't - I would know $20 for a bag - yes, a bag, or rather, 3 bags in a larger bag, as they are sold here - of milk would be way too much, and $1 a tad low) to trying to justify stricter voter ID laws because one needs to use photo-ID to buy groceries.

The WH pointed-out, as one of their endless attempts to spin the mangled sounds which spew from Trump's face-hole, that Trump meant booze. That was probably after pulling an ad hoc committee together to decide if he meant grocery shopping for booze and smokes, or booze and smokes and guns, or just booze.

I'm not being charitable - the WH likely has a standing committee, 24x7x365, to spin the dumb shit which Trump tweets, says, or pantomimes.

The trick is, it's still a rock-stupid argument in favour of stricter voting ID laws. One is the suppression of sales of booze/smokes/etc. to people who should not be allowed to buy booze/smokes/etc., while the other is suppression of what should be a fundamental right in functioning democracies. On the one hand, twelve year-olds really have a tough time scoring vodka, while on the other, poor and already marginalized groups are further disenfranchised.

Kinda black and white, if you would.

Speaking of voter ID laws, which are meant to combat voter fraud...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... 35cedcd6a1

Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap, one of the 11 members of the commission formed by President Trump to investigate supposed voter fraud, issued a scathing rebuke of the disbanded panel on Friday, accusing Vice Chair Kris Kobach and the White House of making false statements and saying that he had concluded that the panel had been set up to try to validate the president’s baseless claims about fraudulent votes in the 2016 election.

That may sound like a release from the department of stating the obvious, but it's much worse than it seems. Dunlap had to sue to get access to the documents of the committee of which he was a member. The material goes further than showing that the Republicans froze the Democrat committee members out and had nothing even approaching actual evidence of widespread fraud, but also actively sought to rig the findings in ways that are almost precious in their fundamental stupidity.

The materials provide a window into the panel’s operations. In one email, Christy McCormick, a Republican member of the commission, spoke to a staff member about recruiting a career statistician from the Department of Justice to the commission, writing that she was “pretty confident that he is conservative (and Christian, too).”

BUT, Trump really meant buying booze, so it's all better, right?

Speaking of rock-stupid arguments from a Trump, Donald Trump Jr. figures the Democrat platform has a lot in common with Nazis, because reasons!

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html

Donald Trump Jr. emerged from an advance screening of the latest cinematic triumph by pardoned felon Dinesh D’Souza burbling with a previously dormant enthusiasm for historical inquiry. “When you have a bunch of kids in dreadlocks running around screaming about ‘fascism’ and all these things,” he explained, “it’s like, wait a second, have you actually taken a history class, do you actually know what these words mean that you’re running around and spewing. And I think they don’t.”

[...]

“You see the Nazi platform in the early 1930s … and you look at it compared to like, the DNC platform of today, you’re saying, man, those things are awfully similar,” said Trump Jr.

Lastly, from the patriarch of stupid himself, a POTUS pronouncement on the intelligence of two black men, Don Lemon and LeBron James.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... james.html

Trump tweet wrote:Lebron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon. He made Lebron look smart, which isn’t easy to do. I like Mike!

Lemon, the dumbest man on television, had a pretty good come-back.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/04/politics ... index.html

Trump's insult led Lemon to ask in a tweet Saturday morning: "Who's the real dummy? A man who puts kids in classrooms or one who puts kids in cages?"

Lemon added the hashtag #BeBest, a reference to first lady Melania Trump's initiative to support kindness and respect.

CNN PR also added:

CNN's public relations department made a sly reference to that brouhaha in response to Trump's insult on Saturday morning.

"Sounds like @FLOTUS had the remote last night," @CNNPR wrote. "We hope you both saw the incredible work of @KingJames."

As did Dan Rather:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/dan ... 5c73da1bde

This is apparently what the President of the United States feels the need to share with the world at what should be long past his bedtime? It's a disgrace. It's racist. And it's the product of petty but dangerous hatreds. I repeat this is the PRESIDENT??!?

Dan, buddy, slow-down on the caps and punctuation, lest you be dragged to Trump's level of stupidity, at which (as the saying goes) he will beat you with experience.

Then there's the whole think about Acosta being accosted at a Trump rally, and Trump supporting it via retweet, along with Sarah Sanders' refusal to state that the media is not the enemy of the people, while Ivanka Trump did just that in a softball-filled interview which led everyone to wonder "WTF does she do, again?". Not to mention the bit about Trump suggesting that Sessions should cancel the "witch-hunt" in apparent frustration over how nicely the Manafort trial is proceeding, but which totally isn't official WH policy or whatever, it's just Trump fighting back and...

Fuck-it. It's impossible to keep-up.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:58 pm

blehblah wrote:Lastly, from the patriarch of stupid himself, a POTUS pronouncement on the intelligence of two black men, Don Lemon and LeBron James.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... james.html

Trump tweet wrote:Lebron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon. He made Lebron look smart, which isn’t easy to do. I like Mike!

Trump in an address to Congress, March 2017: "The time for trivial fights is behind us".

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
Trump in an address to Congress, March 2017: "The time for trivial fights is behind us".

Indeed, Trump continues to ride - and wedge wider - a wave of non-trivial divisions between minorities and majorities, left and right, Republicans and Democrats, rich and poor, non-white and white, allied nations and tyrannies, trade partners and foes, and on, and on, and on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/opin ... dward.html

To the Editor:

Re “New Book From Woodward Will Detail ‘Harrowing Life’ in Trump White House” (Business Day, July 31):

“Real power is, I don’t even want to use the word: ‘Fear.’” This quotation of President Trump talking to Bob Woodward of The Washington Post in 2016 tells you all you need to know about the man. He defines power as making other people afraid.

This attitude is a sign of cowardice, not power.
William Baker
Stamford, Conn.

T'is, William.

Trump's quote, "The time for trivial fights is behind us", rings true. Just note that in Trump's mind, he is addressing mostly rich, and mostly white, men, while in fact, he was addressing Congress.

Too long have you not been white enough, rich enough, manly enough, or Christmas enough; fear-not, fore your savior has arrived, else why would Pence look like he is having multiple raptures in his pants?

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:14 pm

LeBron James was interviewed about the school he founded. Trump of course has made his own supreme contributions to education, such as Trump University, and the time he was “principal for a day” at a public school in an poor area of the Bronx, gave a fake million-dollar bill, then donated $200 dollars in real money and drove away in a limousine. (I wrote about it) back in 2016).

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Aquila89 wrote:LeBron James was interviewed about the school he founded. Trump of course has made his own supreme contributions to education, such as Trump University, and the time he was “principal for a day” at a public school in an poor area of the Bronx, gave a fake million-dollar bill, then donated $200 dollars in real money and drove away in a limousine. (I wrote about it) back in 2016).

I'm surprised he donated $200. Wouldn't be the first time he showed up to get the credit for a charitable donation and then stiffed the charity in question entirely.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:40 pm

By the way, Trump ended his tweet with "I like Mike" - well, the feeling isn't mutual. I guess now he has to call Michael Jordan stupid too. (He used to like LeBron James too, until James criticized him.)

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Melania said in a statement that she would like to visit LeBron's school. Because he's working to do good things. Unlike someone who is working harder at being self centered while tweeting himself into a corner.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby blehblah » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:01 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Melania said in a statement that she would like to visit LeBron's school. Because he's working to do good things. Unlike someone who is working harder at being self centered while tweeting himself into a corner.

I have the perfect outerwear selection for her visit.

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Double-posting because t'is a new day.

An odd thing about Trump is as he shifts denials, he has a tendency to admit things. His latest unstrategic retreat is about the Trump Tower Meeting (tm).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-tow ... -1.4775236

U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday appeared to change his story about a 2016 meeting at Trump Tower that is pivotal to the special counsel's investigation, tweeting that his son met with a Kremlin-connected lawyer to collect information about his political opponent.

"Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower," Trump wrote. "This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics — and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!"

That is a far different explanation than Trump gave 13 months ago, when a statement dictated by the president but released under the name of Donald Trump Jr., read: "We primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children that was active and popular with American families years ago.

Playing poker with Trump must be very profitable.

The reports which Trump is yapping about indicate that Senior is worried about Junior. Since Cohen has indicated Senior knew about the Trump Tower Meeting (tm) before it took place, that puts Junior in a bit of a bind since, if true, it means Junior perjured himself when testifying before Congress.

As WaPo put it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ri ... 9f252b481d

Trump tweeted what?!?

President Trump is a lawyer’s client from hell. He lacks self-control, cannot tell the truth and will not absorb legal advice he doesn’t like. Most clients don’t incriminate themselves in public. Again and again. Trump does, however.

Yes, WaPo, but you have to admit, the Trump's both Senior and Junior are really, really good at it.

WaPo furthers,

Trump Sr.’s insistence that he did not know about the meeting in advance might, to an outside observer, suggest he knows it would be a problem if he did. But then again, he knew about the meeting after the fact and drafted a false statement, so it’s not as though prior knowledge is essential to the prosecutors’ obstruction case. (In any event, his promise at a campaign event at the time that he’d have a speech on Clinton’s nefarious conduct suggests he certainly knew what the Russians had promised.)

Trump fails to understand that the very meeting he is acknowledging is collusion — or conspiracy, if you will — to break campaign-finance laws. Insisting that it is legal to get dirt from a foreign national is politically and morally offensive (Trump was picked by the Kremlin) and contradicts his claim the Russians didn’t want him to win (another lie in the coverup). He knows they did — they had a meeting to help his campaign.

Like, scary-good.

The political implications of Trump’s latest confession are quite stunning. Will the rest of the GOP go along with the position that it was perfectly fine for Russia to help Trump? That would sure be a change from “No collusion” (to “Collusion, so what?!”). I don’t know how a major political party can maintain the view that hostile powers have carte blanche to influence our elections. Every Republican in elected office or on the ballot should be asked his or her view on the matter.

The notion that collusion with a hostile power is no big deal is so preposterous and unpalatable, you would think Republicans would not dare try to defend Trump on this point. But this crowd? They might just try it.

Is... is that optimism... about Republicans... while Trump holds approval ratings above 80% amongst Republican voters? Erm... yeah, sure, I guess.

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 pm

If it’s legal than why does he think it matters if he knew about it or not?

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 am

Cobra-D wrote:If it’s legal than why does he think it matters if he knew about it or not?

Because he's not trying to avoid criminal prosecution at the hands of a court responsive to the law; he's trying to avoid impeachment and possible removal at the hands of a Congress responsive to their base voters. So his audience is not a judge, but the public--specifically his base and the Republican base. As long as he can keep them firmly on his side, he can potentially head off impeachment by giving red-district Democrats in the House cold feet, and can almost certainly avoid removal by the Senate by keeping Republicans loyal to him.

That means his best defense is to drive a wedge between Republican base voters and the Mueller investigation, and thus discredit the latter in the eyes of the former. That's why he hired Giuliani to "sweep the leg" on Mueller, simultaneously trashing what was left of Giuliani's professional reputation and what was left of Mueller's Republican approval.

Andrew McCarthy wrote:One aspect of this strategy has many legal commentators aghast: the bombastic performance of my old boss, Rudy Giuliani. He has always been brash, but in the role of Trump’s lead lawyer, he no longer seems like the meticulous pro of yesteryear. Thus, he’s been lampooned: a cartoonish figure who can’t keep his story straight. But have you seen the approval polls of the Russia investigation since he took over the president’s defense team? Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe is now viewed unfavorably by 45 percent of Americans, according to a recent Washington Post/George Mason University poll. That’s up markedly from 31 percent at the start of the year.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/ ... -strategy/

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Crimson847 wrote:
Cobra-D wrote:If it’s legal than why does he think it matters if he knew about it or not?

Because he's not trying to avoid criminal prosecution at the hands of a court responsive to the law; he's trying to avoid impeachment and possible removal at the hands of a Congress responsive to their base voters. So his audience is not a judge, but the public--specifically his base and the Republican base. As long as he can keep them firmly on his side, he can potentially head off impeachment by giving red-district Democrats in the House cold feet, and can almost certainly avoid removal by the Senate by keeping Republicans loyal to him.

That means his best defense is to drive a wedge between Republican base voters and the Mueller investigation, and thus discredit the latter in the eyes of the former. That's why he hired Giuliani to "sweep the leg" on Mueller, simultaneously trashing what was left of Giuliani's professional reputation and what was left of Mueller's Republican approval.

Bang-on, Crim.

I read this Chris Cillizza piece the other day, and found myself rather deflated, because it's difficult to deny:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/31/politics ... index.html

There's a lot going-on in that investigation that we don't know about, and so we're all reading the tea leaves.

Certainly, Mueller has Trump's tax returns, and likely a shit-ton of information about Trump's businesses, but he can only go where the investigation leads him. Mueller has turned-over a couple/few prosecutions to different groups (and Dems aren't immune) while he's granted immunity to other characters, like Gates and Flynn. Meanwhile, Mueller has basically handed Cohen over to the Southern District of New York federal prosecutors, where he has also passed the investigations about democrats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 9d30da6a59

Mueller’s referral — essentially handing an ongoing case over to another prosecutor to determine whether charges should be brought — came months ago, these people said. One said there has not been significant activity in the matter since.

The referral was first reported by CNN on Tuesday. The Washington Post previously reported that Mueller has been winding down some of the investigations he is overseeing, in part by farming out cases to other federal prosecutors. He had referred part of his investigation of President Trump’s former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, to that same office. That inquiry is ongoing.

The tea leaves might say Mueller is/has followed a vein which doesn't require the likes of Cohen. Maybe he has Trump nailed-down on obstruction (queue Giuliani saying obstruction isn't a big deal - oh, wait - it's "fighting back"), or worse. There was a lot of information in the indictments of Russian individuals and entities, almost as though the US collects reams of 'the cyber' which becomes highly useful after the fact.

Then again, maybe the tea leaves say, "Eh, fuck it - he's too dumb to have colluded with even a version of himself from earlier in the day, and here's a bunch of financial crime leads which someone else can chase-down because they are outside of my mandate."

Part of it is we all have caricatures in-mind.

Mueller is the tough-as-nails, honourable investigator who may have said, "Just the facts, ma'am" to Gates, who folded like a cheap lawnchair. Trump is the bumbling fraudster who can't even manage to pull-off a cover-up as well as Nixon didn't. Cohen is Saul; erm, yeah - I got nufink beyond that.

Giuliani is a set of bad dentures driven by cobweb-covered mechanisms of what a lawyer's brain should be, or is he (swell the music, new-Tom) playing the the long-game as a sort of bumbling, Colombo-esque, stable-genius?

Manafort is the real deal who outspent his usefulness, until he made like a quahog clam and didn't talk.

Don Junior and Eric are, well, morons with bigger, shinier, and younger dental work than Giuliani, yet they can't help but to throw wrenches into Don Senior's carefully laid plans. And Ivanka... following The Godfather riff, she's the one-dimensional daughter of the grand director-in-chief, and while her character is supposed to be generally benevolent, and thereby sympathetic when presented against a backdrop of cold-hearted clowns, the execution of the character makes it easily deridable, or at least relegated it to the realm of the decidedly useless.

Meh, if The Godfather theme doesn't fit, you can always go with The Untouchables, because Trump figures Manafort is being treated worse than Al Copone. The only problem is you're going to have to square Kevin Costner with Mueller, and that's a fit which I must acquit.

Obviously, our caricatures of the actors in this drama aren't the same as other folks'. On Trump, Spicer put it best - a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

Maybe an unprosecutable unicorn, riding a unicorn of pardons, over a rainbow of conservative light shone through a shower of liberal tears.

I have no idea how this will turn-out, though I have hunches. It will be interesting, whichever way it slides.

Also - timing. Trump's and Mueller's teams are engaged in a strange dance about Trump answering questions under oath. Either it's providing plenty of rope, with a subpoena at the end, or it's a ritual meant to impress upon the audience that every chance was provided for Trump to explain what needed explaining before the report drops. All of this, according to reports, is supposed to go-down before the mid-terms (unless it goes the subpoena route, and Trump's team fights it).

Inevitably, it is theater, even if not every participant wants it that way.

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext