President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

Postby cmsellers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:00 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Why? Won't she get like a quarter of his money?

As if Michael Cohen didn't draft an ironclad prenup.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Both of his ex-wives signed prenups, then contested them during the divorce.

Anyway, Trump had a rare moment of honesty:

I’m not a drinker and I can honestly say I never had a beer in my life. One of my only good traits. I don’t drink. I never had a glass of alcohol. I never had alcohol. For whatever reason. Can you imagine if I had? What a mess I would be. I would be the world’s worst.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Me: "I don't think anything Trump says can surprise me anymore; the last time was forever ago. He had a good run, but it's over."

Trump:
I’m not a drinker and I can honestly say I never had a beer in my life. One of my only good traits. I don’t drink. I never had a glass of alcohol. I never had alcohol. For whatever reason. Can you imagine if I had? What a mess I would be. I would be the world’s worst.

Me: "...Clever girl."

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 pm

What is so surprising about this one in particular? The self-criticism?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 pm

Aquila89 wrote:What is so surprising about this one in particular? The self-criticism?

Yes, and the relative harshness of the self-criticism. Trump saying he has few good traits, even as a joke, is unexpected. Saying it off the cuff (not in, say, a speech that someone else wrote) is really unexpected.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:10 am

Since no one has reported on it on the forums yet (avi brought it up in Discord already), The Failing New York Times reports (Hill summary if you can't block the NYT paywall) that Trump evaded half a billion dollars in inheritance taxes on his billion-dollar inheritance.

Avi expects that this could be a big deal if it is proven that he engaged in actual illegal tax evasion. I suspected that since a big chunk of his base hates taxes and believe the IRS engaged in a conspiracy to persecute conservatives, that that will become the dominant narrative on right-wing media. However I realized that this is the estate tax, which a lot of Republicans consider a "death tax" and "double taxation," slashed dramatically under W., and keep trying to eliminate entirely. This makes me really think that it won't budge the needle on his approval ratings.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:35 am

I suspect that would split the right and by extension conservative media. National Review and the Daily Wire would preen all day long if Trump was found to have broken the law; otherwise they'll cluck disapprovingly and go back to melting down over Kavanaugh. Fox and Breitbart on the other hand would probably hammer two things: "but it was so long ago and he's a different man", and "the Left does it too" featuring a performance by Menendez and company.

It would be an improvement over the Kavanaugh hearings, which appear to be more or less inciting the right against the left and vice versa while leaving a lot of swing voters cold, but then a devastating bout of ebola would be in the running to be an improvement over the Kavanaugh hearings.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 am

That was a long informative read (just like me, ladies ;) ), it's just too bad that the people who matter won't believe a word of it. I mean, I guess they'll believe Trump's lawyer's denials of it all, but thanks to Trump's ability to make his supporters write off anything that makes him look bad, this will fall on deaf ears in Trump World. If they even hear about it.

If he weren't President, this would be an interesting piece on a rich family's financial shenanigans, and no one would bat an eye (or home run, but IDK what sport we're playing) at it. If this all crashes around him, it's going to be so much worse for his public reputation than if he hadn't seriously run for President. At the same time, he could still get some money/loans/whatever based on his former President status. I'm not sure, but I imagine Nixon was fine financially after he resigned.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:22 am

Crimson847 wrote:It would be an improvement over the Kavanaugh hearings, which appear to be more or less inciting the right against the left and vice versa while leaving a lot of swing voters cold

I mostly agree with your post, but I need to quibble with this. I'm a former swing voter, someone who objected to both Trump and Hillary (though I thought Trump was far worse) and voted for Johnson, someone who really did not want to be a lean Democratic voter just because of how much Trump sucks, someone who was rooting for Cruz and Menendez to loose equally despite my anger at Trump's Congressional enablers and desire for a Democratic Senate to check him.

However the Kavanaugh hearings have resolved me to vote for any Democrat less awful than Roy Moore for all federal offices for the forseeable future. It even has me hoping that the new polls showing a close race in New Jersey are wrong, because the Republicans managed to find an issue I care about more than actual corruption. I have not been this angry about anything in US politics since the start of the Iraq War. It shattered my belief that Republicans will constrain Trump when it is in their political interest to do so, since as I have noted, there is no political upside for them here, and all the reasoning I have seen them use to justify it seems absolutely insane.

I have seen several thinkpieces which are somewhat ambivalent on Kavanaugh after the hearing, but they all seem to share several similar traits. They are all written by white men who as far as I can tell are older and either NeverTrump Republicans or at least right-leaning. They all express disgust with the Democrats almost as much as the Republicans and a fear that an innocent man's life may have been ruined. And they all say that with much sadness that Kavanaugh must be rejected mostly for reasons I have already brought up. I haven't seen a single editorial after Thursday which is ambivalent on whether Kavanaugh should be confirmed, rather the question seems to be how much blame should be placed on Democrats.

This all suggests to me that A. we will probably have far fewer undecideds when polls (which already showed a strong plurality or even majority against confirmation) taken after Thursday start coming in, B. undecideds were probably mostly older and right-leaning but anti-Trump, and C. even the people who really want to pin as much blame on the Democrats as possible are opposed to confirming Kavanaugh if they aren't Trump's core supporters.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Irishjava » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Trump mocks Ford's testimony at a rally to laughs, applause: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/politics/trump-mocks-christine-blasey-ford-kavanaugh-supreme-court/index.html

I'm so tired.

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:00 pm

During the campaign, when he was accused of sexual misconduct, he insinuated that one of the women accusing him is too ugly for him to assault. ("Believe me, she would not be my first choice, that I can tell you. That would not be my first choice.”) So it's hardly a new low for him.

He's actually making the same point Rachel Mitchell, the prosecutor who questioned Ford made in her report: Ford doesn't remember important details. He's just making it like an asshole. You know, the usual.

A few days ago, Trump was saying that Ford's testimony was "very compelling and she looks like a very fine woman to me" and that she was "a very credible witness". But there's nothing unusual about him switching positions within a week either.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:10 pm

If anything that could disqualify him from being a member of the court, that everyone could believe because Brett admitted to it, its that he's an Alkie.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17 pm

No sir, Bart never once blacked out or failed to recall events from the previous night. He's never had an alcohol problem.

That a little schnapps couldn't fix.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 am

cmsellers wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:It would be an improvement over the Kavanaugh hearings, which appear to be more or less inciting the right against the left and vice versa while leaving a lot of swing voters cold

I mostly agree with your post, but I need to quibble with this. I'm a former swing voter, someone who objected to both Trump and Hillary (though I thought Trump was far worse) and voted for Johnson, someone who really did not want to be a lean Democratic voter just because of how much Trump sucks, someone who was rooting for Cruz and Menendez to loose equally despite my anger at Trump's Congressional enablers and desire for a Democratic Senate to check him.

However the Kavanaugh hearings have resolved me to vote for any Democrat less awful than Roy Moore for all federal offices for the forseeable future. It even has me hoping that the new polls showing a close race in New Jersey are wrong, because the Republicans managed to find an issue I care about more than actual corruption. I have not been this angry about anything in US politics since the start of the Iraq War. It shattered my belief that Republicans will constrain Trump when it is in their political interest to do so, since as I have noted, there is no political upside for them here, and all the reasoning I have seen them use to justify it seems absolutely insane.

This might help with that:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... epublicans

Also, the impression I get is that the GOP decided the House was lost, so they're now focusing on making sure they hold the Senate, which means driving conservative turnout into the ceiling since the Senate fight will overwhelmingly be fought in red states. Best way to do that? Culture wars. And if you look at 538's Senate forecast it appears to be working.

This all suggests to me that A. we will probably have far fewer undecideds when polls (which already showed a strong plurality or even majority against confirmation) taken after Thursday start coming in, B. undecideds were probably mostly older and right-leaning but anti-Trump, and C. even the people who really want to pin as much blame on the Democrats as possible are opposed to confirming Kavanaugh if they aren't Trump's core supporters.

We already have the first batch of post-hearing polls--that's what I'm largely basing my reasoning on.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 2450658310

ETA: As for being angry at the GOP's fuckery, I sympathize. Have you seen National Review's coverage of all this?

It's not just the hacks like John Fund either. All their writers (et tu, David French?) have been veering into conspiracy theorizing about Democrats to varying degrees, and flatly ignoring more reasonable, unanswered concerns about Kavanaugh's testimony in favor of dropping all their ordnance on the easy targets like the Swetnick allegation and then heading for home.

There's no escape from the madness anywhere it seems.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Trump had an interview on 60 Minutes, where he addressed climate change:

Trump: I'm not denying climate change. But it could very well go back. You know, we're talkin' about over a millions--

Lesley Stahl: But that's denying it.

Trump: --of years. They say that we had hurricanes that were far worse than what we just had with Michael.

Stahl: Who says that? "They say"?

Trump: People say. People say that in the--

Stahl: Yeah, but what about the scientists who say it's worse than ever?

Trump: You'd have to show me the scientists because they have a very big political agenda, Lesley.

Still using his favorite source, People Are Saying.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: we are fucked.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext