President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Trump's Christmas message on Twitter:

People are proud to be saying Merry Christmas again. I am proud to have led the charge against the assault of our cherished and beautiful phrase. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

(The late, great Terry Pratchett wrote: "'Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.")

As I have pointed out, there was no assault against saying "Merry Christmas" under Obama; he said it every Christmas while he was in office (and he tweeted "Merry Christmas") this year too. There's this "war on Christmas", where right-wingers scream at everyone who says "Happy Holidays", but Trump did not lead the charge in that (Bill O'Reilly could be credited with it); he set up a " Millennium Holiday Tree" at Trump Tower for the Christmas of 1999, and used "happy holidays" on Twitter in 2009 and 2010.

It's so typical for him, isn't it? He can't even say "Merry Christmas" without bragging and lying.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Delta Jim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 am

Relevant:

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:40 am

Aquila89 wrote:Trump's Christmas message on Twitter:

People are proud to be saying Merry Christmas again. I am proud to have led the charge against the assault of our cherished and beautiful phrase. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

(The late, great Terry Pratchett wrote: "'Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.")

As I have pointed out, there was no assault against saying "Merry Christmas" under Obama; he said it every Christmas while he was in office (and he tweeted "Merry Christmas") this year too. There's this "war on Christmas", where right-wingers scream at everyone who says "Happy Holidays", but Trump did not lead the charge in that (Bill O'Reilly could be credited with it); he set up a " Millennium Holiday Tree" at Trump Tower for the Christmas of 1999, and used "happy holidays" on Twitter in 2009 and 2010.

It's so typical for him, isn't it? He can't even say "Merry Christmas" without bragging and lying.

If I am elected president, I will celebrate every year "A Festivus for the rest of us".

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:43 am

Trump invents a problem that never existed, then credits himself with solving it. That certainly saves a lot of work. It's only matter of time before he starts selling rocks that keep tigers away.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Trump invents a problem that never existed, then credits himself with solving it. That certainly saves a lot of work. It's only matter of time before he starts selling rocks that keep tigers away.

I mean, O'Reilly, Megyn Kelly and the rest of Fox News invented this problem as part of their continuing series on the perceived assault on white culture (Personally, I wish Christmas was small enough that I could drown it in a bathtub) and swore up and down that even though Obama said Merry Christmas every year and Christmas was starting to bleed into late October, that Christmas was on the ropes and that devilish Muslim Kenyan was killing it.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:I mean, O'Reilly, Megyn Kelly and the rest of Fox News invented this problem

Well, that saves even more work - claiming to have solved a fictitious problem others invented.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Aquila89 wrote:As I have pointed out, there was no assault against saying "Merry Christmas" under Obama; he said it every Christmas while he was in office (and he tweeted "Merry Christmas") this year too.

"Obviously a false flag "Merry Christmas" from the Kenyan-born, Muslim POTUS."

Is exactly what someone, somewhere, is saying.

And... ugh... the circle-jerk of politics around something as wonderfully boring as Christmas, to those who are a tad older than seven, continues...

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/12/27/n ... ationalism

A Newsweek article published on Christmas Eve claims that President Trump uses the phrase "Merry Christmas" as a dog whistle for white nationalism.

HOLY JEBUS CHRISTUS!

http://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-nazis ... ism-755991

Wishing people “merry Christmas” instead of “happy holidays” is thus in line with Trump’s decision to ban citizens of Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States, critics say. It fits neatly with his refusal to condemn white supremacists when they march against diversity, and with his condemnation of athletes who protest police brutality against black men.

GOOD GARSH, SOMETHING AWFUL!

And in a reverse-reverse-reversal-yadda-yadda...

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-to ... mp-bigots/

The segment began with Hannity guest-host David Webb mocking CNN host Don Lemon recently calling Trump’s “Merry Christmas”-touting a “dog whistle to the base.”

[...]

“So let me say something about Don Lemon and, quite frankly, CNN,” Starnes began. “Their entire network is a dog whistle for race-baiting, anti-Trump bigots. I mean, it’s 24/7! They really believe that ‘Merry Christmas’ is a dog whistle. It makes me wonder what they think the words ‘Ho! Ho! Ho!’ would be code for.”

Starnes then defended the president, insisting that his “Merry Christmas” push was really trying to tell people that he “understands the true meaning of Christmas” and that “Jesus is the reason for the season.”

See, "we ain't racist, you are racist for saying we're racist, because we said you're racist, and..."

Such an exhausting state of affairs for a winter solstice. The sun really should reconsider how it orbits the Earth.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Krashlia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:19 am

phpBB [video]

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Ya know, I think there's something to the 'Trump is the most flamboyant recluse in the world' idea.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3935097/dona ... ite-house/

After living in Washington for nearly a year, President Donald Trump has yet to enjoy a single non-working meal at a restaurant that doesn’t pay him rent. He hasn’t taken in a performance at the Kennedy Center; hasn’t been to a sporting event; hasn’t toured most of the sights.

[...]

It’s not just restaurants, says Mendelson. Trump has been less engaged on the local charity circuit than other recent presidents, with no stops at local food banks or to help elementary school reading drives. First lady Melania Trump has been venturing out more often, appearing with Jordan’s Queen Rania at a girls’ charter school, attending a holiday toy drive sponsored by the military and visiting with patients and staff at Children’s National hospital.

But the homebody president rarely goes out — and when he does it’s almost always to properties that bear his name.

The man has spent most of his adult life behind a sneeze guard, looking out at the world disapprovingly.

“The reason my hair looks so neat all the time is because I don’t have to deal with the elements. I live in the building where I work. I take an elevator from my bedroom to my office. The rest of the time, I’m either in my stretch limousine, my private jet, my helicopter, or my private club in Palm Beach Florida,” he once wrote.

No, Donald, you do that because you can (or could), and did for so long that you entirely forgot what normal is, and somewhere along the line, you became abjectly frightened of the real world. Since you have some issues, you turned that fear into hatred, and started to fling vitriol and bile from within your self-imposed cell. You idiot, you gigantic moron, you have managed to put yourself into both the best possible position - because you have always been scared for your physical self, and POTUS is the most protected person on Earth - and the worst, because now the entire world is looking back at you, expecting you to not be a frightened recluse, and that scares the shit out of you. What, pray tell, did you expect?

Oh, you didn't think it through, because that's not your thing... gotcha. My bad.

Trump is stuck between being a rejected, wannabe elitist, and a guy who would shower in bleach after taking a subway ride, and he hates intellectuals and the moneyed as much as he loathes and fears people with dirty fingernails. He wants to be the first, while using the second as disposable stepping stones. He's exactly the opposite of what you would get if you combined one of the younger British royals (the ginger or the bald one, whichever) and Mike Rowe.

It is truly amazing that he so obviously sneers at successful people with money, who consider Trump to be a raging moron (*cough* I'd totally beat Tillerson at the IQ'ing! *cough*), while somehow getting away with making his blue-collar supporters believe he isn't actively screwing them. You would think nobody would like the guy, yet here we are.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3935606/amer ... obamacare/

Nearly a third of Americans think that U.S. President Donald Trump has repealed Obamacare (a.k.a. the Affordable Care Act), the results of a new poll show.

When asked if Trump had kept his promise to repeal the ACA, another 15 per cent of respondents weren’t sure if it had been repealed.

On the other hand, half of respondents know that it hasn’t been repealed — including 38 per cent of Republicans.

Even more Republicans (41 per cent) believe the ACA has been repealed, compared to 27 per cent of Democrats and Independents.

*throws-in the towel*

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:24 am

There used to be some uncertainty around whether Trump is still a global warming denialist. People in the White House would neither deny nor confirm it. Well, now he out today on Twitter as a full-on denialist. Because it's cold outside.

In the East, it could be the COLDEST New Year’s Eve on record. Perhaps we could use a little bit of that good old Global Warming that our Country, but not other countries, was going to pay TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS to protect against.

He has access to the greatest intelligence apparatus in the world, and he's still saying the same idiotic nonsense he used to say a few years ago.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: we're fucked. Scientists have declared that climate change needs global cooperation and immediate, bold action. The United States responded by electing a deranged goon who thinks that climate change is fake because there are cold winter days where he lives.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:27 pm

I dont even know how or why climate change was politicized

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby blehblah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
He has access to the greatest intelligence apparatus in the world, and he's still saying the same idiotic nonsense he used to say a few years ago.

According to Trump, the great intelligence apparatus in the world is between his ears. He knows more than the generals, says, "I know more about the big bills. … (Inaudible.) … Than any president that’s ever been in office. Whether it’s health care and taxes.”, and generally figures he has the highest IQ.

It also seems that he could run USPS better than anyone.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-wa ... q2-2017-12

"Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer?" Trump tweeted on Friday morning.

[...]

The deal also benefits USPS in many ways. While the agency posted a net loss of $2.1 billion in the most recent quarter, its package delivery is a profitable service, unlike its letter delivery. With this in mind, it makes sense that USPS would want to strike a deal with one of the biggest players in e-commerce, even if that would mean giving the company a better deal.

The article points to other articles which figure Amazon pays $1.46 per package less than it would without the deal. Yet, the package delivery chunk of USPS is profitable. This looks like Trump's giant business brain at work, again.

Let's say he somehow orders USPS to charge Amazon more (because Trump seems to think he's in charge of everything). Amazon would pay more, but not the magical $1.46 more, because they will strike a deal with another carrier who is happy to have the significant cash-flow injection. USPS would lose a good chunk of cash-flow, and the package business would be less profitable, especially over time (because that cash flow allows a carrier to invest in making the business more efficient). This is why retailers like Wal-Mart can actually get below-cost deals with suppliers; without the cash-flow, the supplier can't build their business into a large-scale operation to recover profitability from deals with other retailers. It is a big retailer playing hardball, but guess what - that's business.

A recent example of Trump appearing to believe he has absolute power can be found in the NYT interview he did.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/29/politics/ ... index.html

Asked whether the investigation into 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's private email server should be reopened, Trump makes a case that such a move could be within his purview.

"What I've done is, I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department. But for purposes of hopefully thinking I'm going to be treated fairly, I've stayed uninvolved with this particular matter," Trump told the Times.

NB: emphasis mine

If he really thinks DoJ is something he has an absolute right to do what he wants with, USPS is minor.

Excerpts of the rest of Trump's interview with the NYT are here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/us/p ... erpts.html

There's way too much to unpack all at once. I will say it's a shining example of why Trump's advisers (including his lawyers) really, really need to keep him as far away from reporters as possible. The best-case scenario for them would be to never, ever, leave Trump alone, never let him make a phone call, or otherwise use a phone, without adult supervision.

I'll just leave the final excerpt here:

TRUMP: We’re going to win another four years for a lot of reasons, most importantly because our country is starting to do well again and we’re being respected again. But another reason that I’m going to win another four years is because newspapers, television, all forms of media will tank if I’m not there because without me, their ratings are going down the tubes. Without me, The New York Times will indeed be not the failing New York Times, but the failed New York Times. So they basically have to let me win. And eventually, probably six months before the election, they’ll be loving me because they’re saying, “Please, please, don’t lose Donald Trump.” O.K.

Yeah... erm... yeah.

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:45 pm

It's odd that Trump thinks he can't get reelected without the support of the media. After all - as he keeps reminding us - he won the election without it.

I will say it's a shining example of why Trump's advisers (including his lawyers) really, really need to keep him as far away from reporters as possible. The best-case scenario for them would be to never, ever, leave Trump alone, never let him make a phone call, or otherwise use a phone, without adult supervision.

Why? Like any of this matters to his supporters. Things generally go like this:

Journalist: "asks reasonable question"

Trump: "vomits up meaningless word salad"

Trump supporters: FAKE NEWS MEDIA BTFO AGAIN, MAGA!!!!

octoberpumpkin wrote:I dont even know how or why climate change was politicized

Fixing it needs government regulations, and American conservatives hate that.

Last edited by Aquila89 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 pm

octoberpumpkin wrote:I dont even know how or why climate change was politicized

Lots of jobs and money are tied up in the fossil fuel industry that's why.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Delta Jim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm

While it's true that there were zero deaths on commercial jets in 2017, that statistic includes foreign airlines and flights that didn't enter US airspace, as in flights not in any way adherent to US aviation laws (thus meaning the president has no authority over them).

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

PreviousNext