Convicted rapist sentenced to 6 months in prison

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Convicted rapist sentenced to 6 months in prison

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:04 pm

If nothing else, all the pine needles in her vagina probably wouldn't have been comfortable for a woman who was actually conscious.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:31 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:I consider myself something of an expert on the subject of deviant sexuality and I find it highly unlikely that someone would agree to such depravity with a complete stranger. Being penetrated by foreign objects on the ground behind a dumpster is in a COMPLETELY different realm than your typical "sure, let's do it in the alley" scenario. The only way I can imagine any woman legitimately agreeing to such a situation is when it's preceded by the words, "that'll be five hundred bucks."

Both of them were really drunk. It's not really unheard of for drunk college kids to do things like this, voluntarily. Or sober college kids, really. College is not a civilized place.

I don't really see a huge difference between a dumpster and an alley. I mean the dumpster was probably in the alley. Of course being covered in pine needles and injuries is more incriminating than simply being located behind a dumpster.

Also for clarification I don't believe it's the defendants job to know what to say in these situations. That's why they have the legal right to a lawyer. I wonder if any lawyer was present when she spoke to the probation officer. I also wish everyone had a good lawyer, but that right is sadly reserved for the rich.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Why would the victim need a lawyer?

It's the prosecutor who would be responsible for pressing charges against the (now convicted) rapists. Like, a lawyer for her should not even be a discussion point. The prosecutor would also be talking to her about what to prepare for on stand. She wouldn't have needed a lawyer present when speaking to police because they never thought she commited a crime, because she was the victim.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:50 pm

sunglasses wrote:Why would the victim need a lawyer?

It's the prosecutor who would be responsible for pressing charges against the (now convicted) rapists. Like, a lawyer for her should not even be a discussion point. The prosecutor would also be talking to her about what to prepare for on stand. She wouldn't have needed a lawyer present when speaking to police because they never thought she commited a crime, because she was the victim.

Shouldn't anyone who's going to court speak to a lawyer? Also it was only determined she's the victim after the verdict was reached and he was found guilty. False accusation can be a crime.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:03 pm

There are cases where a crime victim or alleged crime victim would reasonably need or want a lawyer, but this doesn't sound like one of them. The victim apparently wanted exactly what the prosecutor wanted, so the prosecutor is effectively her lawyer, and would fulfill essentially the same function AFAIK (informing her about the law before she testifies, giving legal advice on the case, representing her position in court, etc.).

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ! These people have no more sense of conscience and decency than a bunch of tree frogs!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Here is a letter a friend of Brock Turner wrote defending his actions. She blames the girl for getting drunk, and says having sex with someone too drunk to move isn't rape. To be fair this is a position I've seen people on TCS defend as well.

06-turner-letter.w529.h793.2x.jpg
06-turner-letter.w529.h793.2x.jpg (305.69 KiB) Viewed 3588 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:29 pm

I like how she makes a specific point of not blaming the victim directly because (and I quote) "that would be wrong." This woman is nothing but a disgusting monster and I hope she also gets what she deserves.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:46 pm

More personal appeals to the judge:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

A retired federal prosecutor and friend of the Turner family, Margaret M. Quinn, asked the judge to consider the long-term damage inflicted by Turner’s conviction: limited job opportunities and the requirement to register as a sex offender.

“As I know you are aware, the collateral consequences of a conviction are staggering,” Quinn wrote, saying they go beyond his expulsion from Stanford.

She asked the judge to consider allowing Turner to counsel young men and “warning them about the devastating consequences of a single decision.” She suggested Turner could serve as a mentor.

There is no doubt Brock made a mistake that night – he made a mistake in drinking excessively to the point where he could not fully appreciate that his female acquaintance was so intoxicated,” Quinn wrote. “I know Brock did not go to that party intending to hurt, or entice, or overpower anyone. That is not his nature. It has never been.”

Sigh.

DamianaRaven wrote:I like how she makes a specific point of not blaming the victim directly because (and I quote) "that would be wrong." This woman is nothing but a disgusting monster and I hope she also gets what she deserves.

It seems the Internet agrees.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... ccc2f64ade

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Yeah, her little band probably isn't going to get another gig until they throw her out of it. Thanks for sharing that detail.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I'd like to take a moment and applaud the guys who chased this rapist down and detained him for the police. God only knows how bad this would have been if they hadn't intervened. I hope these everyday heroes inspire others not to take the concept of minding one's own business too far. No one should be expected to approach a dangerous criminal the way that they did - that was above and beyond - but anyone who sees that kind of thing should, at the very least, make an anonymous call to the police. If nothing else, it'll lend credence to a victim's accusation and as we've all seen many times, vulnerable women need all the help they can get in our victim-blaming rape-coddling society.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:36 pm

It's nice to see that the rapist isn't the only one who's being supported. I was quite impressed with the following logic:

"The fact that he had good grades or a lot of supportive teachers and coaches, or a lot of athletic accomplishment, and devoted parents and a nice house is not a good reason to treat him less severely than someone who has lacked those advantages," they write.

"In fact, the opposite is true. He should be treated more severely because in spite of having every advantage in life, he committed these horrible crimes against a totally defenseless person."

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 pm

Y'know, I understand being outraged at the rape and the rapist. I hope he ends up doing more than six months because he did a Very Bad Thing.

But I'm not comfortable with attacking this dude's friends and family who offered character testimony on his behalf. Obviously they have a very biased opinion of the situation and their views are not terribly progressive, but they didn't do anything wrong. Particularly his father; parents are kinda supposed to go to bat for their shitty kids when they get in trouble. He'd be a pretty cold parent if he told the judge "Yeah lock the little bastard up and throw away the key."

And regarding his friend and her band... do we really need to check every musician's opinion on sexual assault before we allow them on stage? Can't we just accept that people (particularly 19-year-olds, for heaven's sake) can be wrong about things and try to convince them to change their minds without demanding thought conformity before they're allowed to participate in society?

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Absentia wrote:Obviously they have a very biased opinion of the situation and their views are not terribly progressive, but they didn't do anything wrong.

Oh, I beg to differ. Read the last line of that Leslie bitch's letter. "I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't believe that Brock is 100% innocent." Fuck her for ever even saying the things she did in her letter and fuck her harder for saying them in an effort to get her rapist buddy a lighter sentence. The internet will never forget what she said. Leslie Rasmussen's name will bring that letter up on any search engine for the rest of her life. I'm sure that when she was writing it, she had NO FUCKING IDEA that the whole internet would see it. I'm glad that toxic fucking skank has been exposed for what she really is - someone for whom rape isn't really "rape rape" if it's committed by one of her buddies. God forbid this woman should ever have any children!

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Whoa.

Let's take a breather here.

1. Her opinion may change if she has children.
2. I don't agree with her letter, but I don't agree with attacking her over it either.
3. I really don't agree with the various insults to his friend. Does she perhaps not understand that he has been convicted and they were wanting a character reference for sentencing? Maybe. Did she think that this letter was not going to be seen? Probably. Is it hard for people to break their own beliefs and thoughts on a person? Yes it's very, very hard. It's very hard for people to accept they may be wrong about something or to even restructure their core beliefs and values. If she's known him since he was a child it's going to be even harder.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:16 pm

I won't say any more on the subject of Ms. Rasmussen. Nothing but a whole lot of nasty under that rock.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext