Roy Moore's revolving door

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Roy Moore's revolving door

Postby cmsellers » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Uh, what did Martha Coakley do? Anyway, she lost; both the Senate election and the gubernatorial election. In Massachusetts. Which is kind of like a Republican losing in Alabama.

Yep, people are saying Alabama 2017 is basically the mirror image of Massachusetts 2009, though it didn't take a sex scandal to sink Coakley. Still, Tess and I (and several other Obama voters we know) voted for Brown because of Coakley's monstrously immoral behavior while in office. And the key takeaway is that both Moore and Coakley had a solid base of people who would voted for them no matter what.

I brought up Coakley because the 2014 gubernatorial race literally didn't matter since the Democrats had a veto-proof majority in both houses, and Democrats who knew about the issues I described in the linked thread still voted for her because Baker was a Republican. They couldn't defend her, they didn't say what she did wasn't wrong, they just said basically "but ... Repubican!"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:33 am

I wonder what Ted Kennedy's voters said. I mean, he actually killed a woman, and in the next year, he was reelected with 62% of the vote.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Aquila89 wrote:I wonder what Ted Kennedy's voters said. I mean, he actually killed a woman, and in the next year, he was reelected with 62% of the vote.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Ted Kennedy would definitely be an embarrassment for the party if he were running today. The only reason he wasn't back then is cause we were an issues party back then while the Republicans were the values party. A Democrat could survive a sex scandal cause it was all, "Oh, those Democrats!" with the public. You couldn't call them hypocrites cause they never preached holier than thou morality anyway.

Now the Democrats are a values party, as well as an issues party, so it looks really bad when someone whose against sexual assault is guilty of sexual assault.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 pm

I've had a hate boner against Ted Kennedy ever since he came out against Cape Wind despite presenting himself as an environmentalist, and had constant fights with a Democratic environmentalist friend over it. I was in the position to cast a vote against Ted Kennedy the first time I voted, back in 2006. Unfortunately, the Republican who was running against him seemed like a complete nut (even my uncle who is a Republican wasn't willing to vote for him) and there was no third party on the ballot. So I checked the write in option and wrote in "None of the Above," knowing it would accomplish nothing.

If I could do it over today, I'd probably vote for the nutty Republican, but at the time I believed taking a stand against all bad candidates was more important. Still, I don't think either the political hypocrisy of opposing Cape Wind or the way he got away with negligent manslaughter rise to the level of Coakley's misuse of her office.

Incidentally, Don McLean wrote a song I love which is purportedly a veiled reference to Chappaquiddick.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 pm

I don't usually plug articles or writers in here except for sources, but I have to say that even though I typically only use Yahoo as a news aggregating site for news sources I WANT to read (NYT, AP, sometimes NR) there's a writer on their site who wrote an excellent piece a while back on how Trump's like Nixon...in that his downfall will likely be less the corruption and more the exhaustion that he puts the nation through for little gain. I would suggest people who like good even-handed political writing to check him out, he's the only salvageable non-sports writer on Yahoo.

Anyways, he wrote quite a brilliant piece on Roy Moore, and it's less about the political aspect of it as much as it is about politicians we've seen like him, who use their platform to basically fight against their own guilt. Anyways, link here:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/roy-moore-fights-inner-demons-not-pretty-100036594.html

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 pm

cmsellers wrote: Unfortunately, the Republican who was running against him seemed like a complete nut (even my uncle who is a Republican wasn't willing to vote for him) and there was no third party on the ballot. So I checked the write in option and wrote in "None of the Above," knowing it would accomplish nothing.

If I could do it over today, I'd probably vote for the nutty Republican, but at the time I believed taking a stand against all bad candidates was more important.

I don't know, what would voting for the crazy Republican accomplish? It must have been clear that there's no chance of getting rid of Kennedy (he won with 69% of the vote). So why vote for someone you don't support? In such a case, a protest vote seems preferable to me.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm

I mean, that was my logic at the time.

On another note, there's this.

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 8.51.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 8.51.50 PM.png (280.63 KiB) Viewed 4259 times

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:00 pm

cmsellers wrote:I mean, that was my logic at the time.

But what is your logic now? That one must support the lesser of the two evils, odds be damned? (I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just curious.)

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 am

Aquila89 wrote:But what is your logic now? That one must support the lesser of the two evils, odds be damned? (I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just curious.)

Now I basically have a heuristic that the greater the difference between how bad the candidates are, the smaller the electorate, and the closer the race, the more likely I am to vote for the less bad candidate.

But a big change is that back then I believed that the "Ted Kennedy killed a woman and got away with it" stuff was akin to the "Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster" stuff, so my only reasons for disliking him (aside from my general hatred of political dynasties) were political. I never really looked it up because it was old news. The reason I eventually learned it was true was because there was a bumper sticker that said something like "stay happy on Chappy" and I looked that up and found the Wikipedia page on Chappaquiddick and realized "holy shit, this is true!"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 am

Look we're all missing the bigger picture here, as Youthful big handed Trump said earlier, we can't have a dirty liberal win. Besides Trump says Moore denies doing any of this so.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am

He "totally denies it", so he must be innocent, just like Putin, who denied meddling with the election.

Well, Hillary Clinton totally denies being corrupt and Bill Clinton totally denies being a sexual predator, so I guess we won't hear these accusations from Trump anymore either.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:14 am

Pastor claims Roy Moore only went after teenagers because all the women his age were married.

I once robbed a bank, but in my defense, that bank had a lot of money and I like money. And I never robbed that bank. Who told you I did? He's a liar!

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby tinyrick » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:33 am

Ben Garrison finally weighs in:

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Is that supposed to be pro-Roy Moore? I know that it is, but nothing on the picture gives the indication that the accusation against Moore aren't true. It could be easily seen as an attack on his supporters, who simply don't care that he is a child molester.

And why is Biden in the swamp? Yes, I know he was criticized for being too handsy with young women; but so far no woman has accused him with actual harassment. You can put his reputation on the same level as Weinstein's. And John Podesta is in there too - because of Pizzagate? Dear God. That's where Trump supporters are: Pizzagate is true, but Roy Moore did nothing wrong.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext