Roy Moore's revolving door

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Roy Moore's revolving door

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:24 pm

There may be a bit more t this than meets the eye, in terms of lingering support, anyway.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 am

The Alabama Republican Party still stands behind Roy Moore.

Trump still hasn't commented on the matter.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:36 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:There may be a bit more t this than meets the eye, in terms of lingering support, anyway.

That's both disgusting and apparently a fringe group among Quiverfuls, who are already a fringe movement.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby tinyrick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 am

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:31 pm

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Delta Jim » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 am

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Alabama governor Kay Ivey stated that while she has "no reason to disbelieve" Moore's accusers, she'll still vote for him because he's a Republican. "I believe in the Republican Party, what we stand for, and most important, we need to have a Republican in the United States Senate".

What do you stand for exactly?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Alabama governor Kay Ivey stated that while she has "no reason to disbelieve" Moore's accusers, she'll still vote for him because he's a Republican. "I believe in the Republican Party, what we stand for, and most important, we need to have a Republican in the United States Senate".

My guess is, being against those new rights created in 1965. 1965 was when the Voting Rights Act passed. So far, he hasn't said anything about those new rights created in 1964, but I'm sure he has a few choice words to say about those as well.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:22 pm

I am not sure why people are assuming that Moore was talking about the Voting Rights Act; it's hardly the only thing to have happened in 1965. It also doesn't really work grammatically. He said that "they" started making new rights, the antecedent to "they" being the Supreme Court.

He was probably referring to Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479 (1965), which established the right to privacy, and overturned laws prohibiting birth control. The case is unpopular among cultural conservatives because it forms the jurisprudential foundation for Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (creating a right to an abortion) (1973) and Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (overturning state bans on sodomy and gay sex) (2003).

Given both the context of Roy Moore's statement (he was talking about the Supreme Court and new rights; the VRA doesn't really have to do with either) and his own history (he was removed from his seat on the Alabama Supreme Court because he refused to comply with the US Supreme Court's ruling legalizing gay marriage), he was probably talking about Griswold and its progeny, not voting rights.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Aquila89 wrote:What do you stand for exactly?

She probably doesn't even know.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby SandTea » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:47 pm

aviel wrote:...he was probably talking about Griswold and its progeny, not voting rights.

Oh, for a moment there I thought he was a despicable human being. Good to know he only hates women and homosexuals. I'll jot down 'not a racist' in my notes. Right next to 'likes 'em young'.

Seriously, that is why people would assume he was talking about voting rights. He gets a check in every other 'old white asshole' bingo box. It's not an unreasonable conclusion. and I haven't even looked up his record. I'm 99% sure I could find him being a shit to other minorities but I don't need to to know, that in a better world, he wouldn't represent anyone. We don't have a better world so I'm still going to call him a dick hole. Moore, you are, to this world, a dick hole with a papercut.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby blehblah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:54 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:
Aquila89 wrote:What do you stand for exactly?

She probably doesn't even know.

Erm...

Over the last 40 years, Americans have seldom granted their Presidents much freedom to enact their proposals. Since 1987, for example, Republican Presidents have been in the White House, while Democrats have controlled both houses of Congress. The result is what we call a divided government.

That's a bit odd... maybe it was written in '92, and doesn't count Carter?

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:09 am

Aquila89 wrote:Alabama governor Kay Ivey stated that while she has "no reason to disbelieve" Moore's accusers, she'll still vote for him because he's a Republican. "I believe in the Republican Party, what we stand for, and most important, we need to have a Republican in the United States Senate".

She's on Team Republican, she's all in, the rest of what happens can happen and it doesn't matter because that's her team. Kim Jong Un could run as one and she'd be on board. Ha I'm kidding, he's not white. Plus Roy Moore is all about dat Bible yo. He's going to pray the gay away and bring us that much more shame into the new dawn of a new era of something shit idk I'm grasping as much as she is at this point.

Fucking two party system. You put a (D) or (R) next to the name Adolf Hitler and he could get elected in America. Oh but he speaks with such passion! That stuff he did happened like a hundred years ago! I need my team to be in power because then I feel validated.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:05 pm

iMURDAu wrote:She's on Team Republican, she's all in, the rest of what happens can happen and it doesn't matter because that's her team.

I saw this same thing with Team Donkey and Martha Coakley. And not just in 2009, when the Democrats' filibuster-proof majority in the Senate was at stake; I saw the same logic in 2014 for the governorship, when Democrats already had a veto-proof majority in both houses of the MA legislature.

I'm seeing it again with Robert Menendez. Not one Democratic Senator was willing to say he should resign if convicted of corruption; they're still less likely to do anything if he gets away with the "I wasn't doing inappropriate political favors for a donor, I was doing inappropriate political favors for a friend" argument.

Now neither Menendez nor Coakley are as bad as Roy Moore (not even Donald Trump is as bad as Roy Moore), but the point is that it's not just the Grand Old Party that does this. Though I will say that old white evangelicals (aka core Moore) seem to be the single most nakedly hypocritical group of voters in the United States.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Uh, what did Martha Coakley do? Anyway, she lost; both the Senate election and the gubernatorial election. In Massachusetts. Which is kind of like a Republican losing in Alabama.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext