Roy Moore's revolving door

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Roy Moore's revolving door

Postby SandTea » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 am

Just want to post a reminder that moore was twice removed from the alabama supreme court for defying the law, doesn't think a muslim should be allowed to be elected, thinks homosexuals are abhorrent and that their actions should be illegal, is still an Obama birther and a wanna-be theocrat. In case anyone needs a reason to not support him besides the little girl fetish thing.

I got some hope tonight that progress is being made despite how it might seem. Now I have to hope it continues to go forward and that the current admin won't/hasn't already '8million steps back' us. Huh, am I actually being optimistic? That can't be right... must be a phase.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Delta Jim » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 am

Trump tweeted his congratulations for Doug Jones, stating that "The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win." He's right about that, it seems; Jones won by a 1,5% margin, and 1,7% supported a write-in candidate.

SandTea wrote:Just want to post a reminder that moore was twice removed from the alabama supreme court for defying the law, doesn't think a muslim should be allowed to be elected, thinks homosexuals are abhorrent and that their actions should be illegal, is still an Obama birther and a wanna-be theocrat. In case anyone needs a reason to not support him besides the little girl fetish thing.

Republican primary voters only have themselves to blame. Had they voted for Luther Strange in the primary (who was even endorsed by Trump) in all likelihood he would've won by a landslide.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 am

I can't begin to tell you how big of a deal this is. This election was won by black people showing up to vote. Black people in the South don't usually get out to vote. The deck is so stacked against them, they see no point, and rightfully so. They just got motivated and won! In Alabama! The Blue Wave just became a Blue Tsunami and it's about to hit Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee ya'll!

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Windy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 am

Did the democrats dramatically defy expectations again

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 pm

I'd say that the election was decided by Republicans not showing up to vote. Roy Moore got half the number of votes than Trump in 2016. He got less votes than Jeff Sessions when he ran unopposed in 2014. If he got as many votes as Sessions then, he would've won.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Windy wrote:Did the democrats dramatically defy expectations again

It's okay, if it'll make you feel any better the dems will probably fuck bigly to make up for the win tonight.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Cobra-D wrote:the dems will probably fuck bigly to make up for the win tonight.

Do you mean "fuck up bigly" or victory sex?

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Aquila89 wrote:I'd say that the election was decided by Republicans not showing up to vote. Roy Moore got half the number of votes than Trump in 2016. He got less votes than Jeff Sessions when he ran unopposed in 2014. If he got as many votes as Sessions then, he would've won.

Stop killing my boner. I'm still calling Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee. Black votes! Young whites! Major wins!

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Windy wrote:Did the democrats dramatically defy expectations again

They won...in Alabama.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
Cobra-D wrote:the dems will probably fuck bigly to make up for the win tonight.

Do you mean "fuck up bigly" or victory sex?

Hmm both.

In related news jake tapper had Roy Moore spokesman on and it was beautiful:

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 pm

I'd say the man couldn't hit water if he were swimming in it, but it's doubtful he knows how to swim.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:03 pm

If I ever get elected to public office I'm going to be sworn in on a CD of Woody Guthrie songs.

Any rate, people are drawing the obvious analogies between Doug Jones this year and Scott Brown in 2010. They both involved the victory of a candidate in improbable territory which was seen as a backlash against the incumbent president but had a lot more to do with the awfulness of the opposing candidate.

The list of differences are far longer:

1. Massachusetts is a highly elastic state with an electorate composed disproportionately of college-educated whites. We often elect Republicans to office. Alabama is a highly inelastic state with an electorate composes mostly of blacks and white evangelicals and hasn't elected a Democrat to statewide office in well over a decade.
  2. Because of this, primary voters on MA selected a moderate Republican while primary voters in AL selected a liberal Democrat. Scott Brown was more moderate than Olympia Snowe both in statewide office and when he became Senator. Doug Jones looks like he'll be considerably more liberal than Joe Manchin.
  3. When Martha Coakley broke the law she made sure to do it in ways that couldn't get her fired, Roy Moore got his ass fired twice.
  4. Martha Coakley's problems were strictly with how she used her office; the closest she came to a personal scandal was when she called a Red Sox player a "Yankees fan" in an obvious attempt at a bad joke.
  5. Not one Democrat refused to endorse Coakley, that I recall.
  6. The business community of Massachusetts wasn't running campaigns that electing Coakley would tarnish Massachusetts' image.
  7. Any backlash against Democratic overreach was a result of the Democrats actually getting stuff passed.
  8. The incumbent president was elected with a large majority of the popular vote.
There is one additional similarity I recall though, not in the elections but in the reactions from the peanut gallery.

In the comments of FiveThirtyEight, people pointed that a higher percentage of voters turned out for the Democratic primary than had voted for the winning candidate in a similar election (I forget which one), and said that they couldn't see voters in the Democratic primary voting for a Republican. I pointed out that I voted for Pagliucca and was voting for Brown, and that my reasons for doing so were essentially liberal reasons: Martha Coakley represents the worst of the prison-industrial complex. Even then, the commentators remained skeptical that Brown could win. (I was too actually, but mostly because everyone Coakley seemed like the sort of Democrat Massachusetts loves to elect.) Elsewhere, the analysis was less sophisticated but basically amounted to "Massachusetts may love to elect Republican governors, but they'll never elect a Republican senator, not when federal policy is on the line."

I saw similar people making arguments about Alabama. Mind you, some of these people were FiveThirtyEight and Sabato's Crystal Ball pointing out that Alabama is a really inelastic state, and those points were reasonable; it took a perfect storm for Jones to win. But a lot of them were Republicans saying "I can't imagine Alabama would ever send a baby-killer to the Senate." And well, I guess now they don't have to imagine it.

Basically, I think that the only generalizable lesson is that no matter how safe you think the seat is and how much you want a woman or a hell-raising evangelical, if the only candidate who meets those criteria is an awful one, maybe don't nominate them to an open seat while your party controls the presidency.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Like Scott Brown, Jones probably won't be in office for a long time. He was elected to fill the rest of Session's term, which expires in 2020. If the Republicans in Alabama manage not to re-nominate Roy Moore, they'll probably vote him out. He got less votes than Jeff Sessions in 2014, when he ran unopposed.

Trump has sent his "I never liked Roy Moore anyway" tweet:

The reason I originally endorsed Luther Strange (and his numbers went up mightily), is that I said Roy Moore will not be able to win the General Election. I was right! Roy worked hard but the deck was stacked against him!

Amazing that he's bragging what a great effect his endorsement had for a candidate who lost.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 pm

cmsellers wrote:If I ever get elected to public office I'm going to be sworn in on a CD of Woody Guthrie songs.

Like "this land is my land, this land is your land"?

Fuck off you pinko commie :)

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

PreviousNext