Roy Moore's revolving door

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Roy Moore's revolving door

Postby Marcuse » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:14 pm

sunglasses wrote:Well, people know who Luther Strange is. Plus his name is easy to spell.

Yeah but Alabama don't pay for strange.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Marcuse wrote:
sunglasses wrote:Well, people know who Luther Strange is. Plus his name is easy to spell.

And they don't know how to spell.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Is that really necessary, DP?

Even I get tired of the "Southern folks are dumb rednecks" trope.

Just sayin'

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey, they're the ones who may elect a pedo to the Senate!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby tinyrick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Luther Strange sounds like it could be the name of a superhero or supervillian. Really it could fit either way.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:05 pm

tinyrick wrote:Luther Strange sounds like it could be the name of a superhero or supervillian. Really it could fit either way.

He's Doctor Strange's evil twin brother who worships Dormammu.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:
Marcuse wrote:

And they don't know how to spell.

Or count apparently.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Roy Moore has been threatening to sue media outlets reporting on the story for defamation. When I first heard this, I thought that he was just doubling down on his "fake news" strategy. But the letter his lawyer wrote is so incoherent that I'm not convinced it resulted from any conscious thought whatsoever. A few choice quotes, with exactly as much helpful context as the letter itself provides:

Trenton R. Garmon wrote:Your client as an entity has also carelessly and perhaps allowed general slander and libel to the reputation of my clients by seeking out, and/or reporting from those who did, individuals who falsely portray the reputation of Roy S. Moore in northeast Alabama, to include Etowah County.

Meaning your client has used terms in reports or carelessly which has falsely portraying our clients.

Thus, do note clearly, yet significant difference which your client's publication(s) have failed to distinguish.

This may be par for the course for this lawyer. From his bio on his law firm's website:

While at Troy University he started on their college football team as the center. This team played both Miami and Nebraska being the only team in the country to play the national champions and the runner up national champions in the same year. Some experts consider the 2001 Miami Hurricanes [Avi's Note: the team he played against, not on] to be the greatest college football team in history.

He was born in Gadsden, Alabama, June 16, 1979 and is admitted to the Alabama State Bar and the United States Federal Court Middle District. [Avi's Note: the name of the latter court here is nonsense, and refers to no actual court]

I have no idea how someone like this gets admitted to law school, much less ends up working for a state supreme court justice.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 pm

His lawyer made some pretty racist comments trying to defend him.

Garmon: Sure, that’s a good question. Culturally speaking, obviously there’s differences—looked up Ali’s background there. Wow—that’s awesome that you’ve got such a diverse background. That’s really cool to read through that. But point is—

Ruhle: What does Ali’s “background have to do with dating a 14 year old?

Garmon: I’m not finished with the context of it. Point of this is—

Ruhle: Please answer. What does Ali Velshi’s background have to do with dating children, 14 year old girls?

Garmon: Sure. In other countries, there’s arrangement through parents, for what we would refer to as consensual marriage.

Ruhle: Ali’s from Canada.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 pm

So is dating 14 yr olds cool now? I mean I was alright with nazis becoming mainstream cause he they have nice uniforms and the guy they worshipped made great comedy films, but I don't know if I can get behind adults dating 14 year olds.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Depends on the circumstances. My parents started dating when my mother was 14 and my father was 21. They dated for four years, then they got married, had four kids and over 30 years later they're still together.

However, my father wasn't prowling the mall looking for teen girls to hit on, like Roy Moore. He's a shy and reserved man; my mother told me that she pursued him, not the other way around.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:14 am

Hey look a that, a sitxth person has come forward with sexual misconduct, this time while he was married. Well atleast she was 28 and not 14 this time, so it can't all be bad.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby tinyrick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 am

If my current calculations are correct, we are now somewhere between

1.Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining <-here
4. Depression
5. Acceptance <-and here depending on the pundit.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:04 am

Aquila89 wrote:Depends on the circumstances. My parents started dating when my mother was 14 and my father was 21. They dated for four years, then they got married, had four kids and over 30 years later they're still together.

But did he get your grandmother's permission to date your mom?

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am

Well, yeah, probably. My mother was living with her parents at the time, she also needed permission to go on dates.

In Roy Moore news, a woman named Gena Richardson, said that after she didn't give Moore her phone number at the mall, he called her high school and asked for her. She was 18 at the time.

A few days later, she says, she was in trigonometry class at Gadsden High when she was summoned to the principal’s office over the intercom in her classroom. She had a phone call.

“I said ‘Hello?’” Richardson recalls. “And the male on the other line said, ‘Gena, this is Roy Moore.’ I was like, ‘What?!’ He said, ‘What are you doing?’ I said, ‘I’m in trig class.’ ”

Richardson says Moore asked her out again on the call. A few days later, after he asked her out at Sears, she relented and agreed, feeling both nervous and flattered. They met that night at a movie theater in the mall after she got off work, a date that ended with Moore driving her to her car in a dark parking lot behind Sears and giving her what she called an unwanted, “forceful” kiss that left her scared.

“I never wanted to see him again,” says Richardson, who is now 58 and a community college teacher living in Birmingham.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext