ACLU Files Complaint Against Discriminatory NC Law

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: ACLU Files Complaint Against Discriminatory NC Law

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)

That's officially my new signature.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02 pm

There's a misconception that being LGBT is not due to the hardwiring of the brain or anything like that, but a fetish. So, the reason all the focus is on transwomen is that according to the oh so enlightened theoconservatives of the North Carolina State senate, the whole issue is that the part of this mysterious group of people who are nothing but walking sex drives are plotting to put on a dress and rape their women, because trans people are apparently evil rape ninjas.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Absentia » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:59 pm

I am amused by lawmakers apparently believing that a sexual predator who is willing to risk a felony rape charge by assaulting a woman in the bathroom will somehow be dissuaded by the threat of misdemeanor "using the wrong toilet".

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 am

I grow increasingly weary of North Carolina's backwards policies on so many things. As someone who has lived here almost my entire life, and is usually proud of North Carolina, this sort of behavior makes me want to leave the state.

I know I have a lot of family and co-workers that support this bill. This is because when they think of trans-gendered people, they think of people that look like men in dresses, scaring little girls in female restrooms. It doesn't occur to them that this man.

Spoiler: show

Is now legally mandated to use a female restroom.

It also goes against my personal opinion that government should stay as local as possible. As much as my brain loves the idea of people being easily sort-able and controlled en masse, the reality is that humans are a vast collection of variables, and the closer you get to dealing with them one on one, the better everything is. Taking away a city government's ability to make certain ordinances limits that, even beyond the ken of this actual event.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:15 am

Anarchy is the most local government of all.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Jack Road » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:17 am

Anarchy in my opinion, is not a viable government. It is just people without an official government, and a lot of different governing structures that conflate with each other. Hence the limiting term "as possible"

Damn, double post.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Windy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:35 am

It is totally rational to allow Christine into whatever bathrooms she wants, and anyone who doesn't feel the same way as me is a bigot.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:11 am

It really isn't that complex Windy.

If you come across a gender-segregated room of any kind, use whichever room you feel most comfortable in. If it is illegal to do so, make the choice that suits you best. But in reality, we should be legally supporting whatever choice makes you most comfortable. That isn't a political party stance. That is pure human rights.

If you have been sexually assaulted or harassed anywhere, including in a bathroom, report this with the proper authorities.

You posting an image of a well-known mentally disordered person does not do a lot to convince me of what I believe is right.

Some Facts
People commit crimes in gender-segregated rooms regardless of what gender they are.
There is no evidence I have found that suggests that laws allowing people to use whichever gender-segregated room they want leads to more crimes.

Damn, triple-post.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby A Warrior Bunny » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:34 am

Windy wrote:It is totally rational to allow Christine into whatever bathrooms she wants, and anyone who doesn't feel the same way as me is a bigot.

[ Image ]

I'm glad you're finally getting it, Windy.

!!! THIS POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY BITTERNESS, DEPRESSION, AND ACUTE INTERNET EXPOSURE !!!
A Warrior Bunny
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: He Who Smirks

Postby Windy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:42 am

Jack Road wrote:But in reality, we should be legally supporting whatever choice makes you most comfortable. That isn't a political party stance. That is pure human rights.

This is literally a moral code based on feels.

If you have been sexually assaulted or harassed anywhere, including in a bathroom, report this with the proper authorities.

You posting an image of a well-known mentally disordered person does not do a lot to convince me of what is right.

Some Facts
People commit crimes in gender-segregated rooms regardless of what gender they are.
There is no evidence I have found that suggests that laws allowing people to use whichever gender-segregated room they want leads to more crimes.

Damn, triple-post.

I don't care about crime. Make all bathrooms non-segregated if you want. It's the part where you're trying to force your ideology onto everyone else that annoys me.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:11 am

See, ideology means "a system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy."

The word system means "a set of principles or procedures according to which something is done; an organized scheme or method."

So you can see how the term "my ideology" is inherently charged. Especially when you use volatile language like the word "forced"

Understanding the word "ideology" requires understanding that that its very definition revolves around the idea that a substantial group of people subscribe to it.

Attacking an ideology under the phrase "her ideology" "his ideology" "that person's ideology" deliberately dissects the word from what it means.

In general the current modern ideology of political direction states that any person who is a representative of a group of people should act according to what is best for that group of people. And of course the idea of "what is best" is under a great deal of disagreement of discussion, as it should be.

But when a choice is made by representatives of the people, it is nonsensical to phrase it as supporting this ideology or another ideology. Or of forcing one ideology over another ideology. Because it is understood that any choice made by any person is either for or against any number of ideologies. The very mechanism of choice by any individual "forces" an ideology on other people, especially when you are talking about representatives of multiple people.

Saying you are annoyed by me forcing my ideology on other people is about as sensible as saying you are annoyed by police insisting you not make meth in your basement, or that you are annoyed by television shows insisting that advertisements be played during broadcast.

You are a human being, and you belong to the group of entities known as human beings, and all of them have different ideas of what is proper, and they communicate all of this through the channels provided to them by their current position in both time and space.

If it is decided that people born male must use male bathrooms, or if it is decided that anyone can use whichever bathroom they prefer; both decisions will lead to some group of people "forcing" their ideology on other people.

Why then would I say that my ideology is superior to your ideology? Mainly because my ideology supports the idea that all humans are humans, all humans shit and piss, and all humans want to shit and piss in the most comfortable way they can think of.

Do I think my ideology is superior to yours? Yes. Will I try to force "my ideology" on you? Hell fucking yes I will. Am I right objectively to do so? Who knows. And that is why it is stupid to even phrase the question that way.

If you want to phrase the same complaint in a more effective way, might I suggest using the banner that is currently being used by proponents of birth gender-defined rooms. Which is "if we don't birth-gender define some rooms, some perverts will use them to rape people."

I mean, I don't agree with that argument, but at least it is intelligently presented, instead of the "don't force me to do things I don't like" argument, which is only effectual if you are alone with a group of people you agree with.

Damn quadruple post.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Windy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:49 am

Sorry let me try that again: It's the part where you're trying to force your own flawed ideology onto everyone else that annoys me.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:54 am

I understand that you consider the ideology I subscribe to; that you call "my ideology" to be flawed. I am waiting for you to actually present a different view.

Present your reason for restrooms to be limited by the gender on someone's birth certificate.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Windy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:03 am

Jack Road wrote:I understand that you consider the ideology I subscribe to; that you call "my ideology" to be flawed. I am waiting for you to actually present a different view.

Present your reason for restrooms to be limited by the gender on someone's birth certificate.

Because it makes people feel uncomfortable? That should be an acceptable reason to you since you stated that's the basis of your moral code.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:05 am

Windy- 2016 wrote:I don't care about crime.

Close to being my new sig.

I'm just gonna refer to an older post that was about the same thing.

On a different note, this seems awfully similar to "We can't let blacks into our restrooms, they're dangerous!" I guess some "ideologies" are... good? hmm, never woulda thought

edit- wow, bunch of posts went up while i was typing. ill draw winds attention back to the two bearded dudes who now have to by law use the ladies room

Last edited by SandTea on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

PreviousNext