Are you an organ donor?

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Are you an organ donor?

Yes
70%
No
27%
No but this thread convinced me to become one immediately.
4%

Total votes : 56

Re: Are you an organ donor?

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 am

I have never donated blood. I couldn't donate in my adolescent years due to antibiotics, then I couldn't donate because I got a tattoo. I think it may have been a year since the last tattoo though. I'll have to check.

I want to donate blood because I still don't know what my blood type is.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Twistappel » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:44 am

Now that I think about it, I need to formally register over here. Hopefully the card for the Australia registry, my clearly-expressed wishes to my loved-ones and this:
Spoiler: show
Medic Alert.jpg
Medic Alert.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 5096 times

Will suffice to convince people of my intent, should I meet an untimely end. Assuming they can even use the damn things.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby Delta Jim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:58 am

I am. It's not like I'm going to be using them when I'm dead, so if anything's still usable when I die they can have it. However, I'd prefer that my brain be put in a robot.

I'm also donating my body to science (as is my dad and probably my brother. My dad already applied for it and has all the paperwork in order. You can find the instructions online). After they scoop out my working organs they can have my corpse to do with what they'd like. I honestly don't care what "what they'd like" ends up being. For all I care the creepy night janitor can turn my skin into a Buffalo Bill style skin suit.

sunglasses wrote:I'm also not able to give blood d/t my medication. So. yeah.

Same here. My organs should still be fit for donation, just not my blood.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:30 am

I used to give blood but I haven't in ages. I keep not getting around to it and also they never have an appointment available at a time and place I can get to, and if I just turn up to a session they always tell me off if I don't have my donor card which I've lost. Also I did it four or five times and each successive time it hurt more than the time before, which firstly makes it scary to donate again and secondly makes me wonder if it was doing some damage.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby LaChaise » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 pm

France has a bit of a weird system.
We have an national opt-out registry where you can state you don't want your organs taken. So far, so good. The thing is, the most important part is that you have to tell your close ones your decision, because their decision is what matters in the end, registry or not.
The thing is, it's not legally considered to be the close ones' decision but yours, relayed through them (which is also what every government resource says). It's stupid.

Anyway, I don't care about keeping my organs and everybody in my family is the same so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Australia » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:27 pm

aviel wrote:It's worth noting that there currently is no right, under US law, to decide what happens with any body (your own included) when you die. You have only four options: you can bury a corpse, cremate it, donate its organs, or donate it to science.

It's my understanding there's a fifth option.

I'm an organ donor for the obvious reason that dead people don't need organs, so they can do whatever they want with my insides before they mummify and entomb me, while erecting a Bender-pharaoh-esque statue of me, complete with flame-breath. We have the same stupid system of 'even if you are a donor, we still need someone who isn't you to sign off on it once you're dead', making the whole thing moot. Anyway, in a country where stuff like this is common, I don't think there'll be any scraps left to donate when I'm viciously killed, even if I do start living a somewhat healthy life.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby sunglasses » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:43 pm

awww, what a cute little goanna.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby PSTN » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 pm

I've got an organ I'd like to donate.

...Ladies.

...or gentlemen. Really I've got a few organs in my body that might not be destroyed yet. And once I'm dead, as far as I'm concerned they become a public resource.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Got my license updated today to get my address changed. I am once again an organ donor. Thanks TCS.

Course, if I end up getting snuffed out prematurely for my organs, I'm coming back to haunt every single one of you fartknockers.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Been donating blood for years now. And yes I'm an organ donor.

It's also in my will that if it's at all possible my eventual cadaver (depending on its state) be donated to my alma mater, the University of Pretoria. Their medical school can then proceed to cut me open and peek around as much as they like.

Hopefully they can find out whatever the hell was wrong with me in life.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby 52xMax » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Ideally...well, ideally someone will discover the cure for death and reverse the aging process before I die, and I would like in on that. Or at least do the cryogenia thing with my brain, or upload my consciousness to a computer and get a nice virtual afterlife/awesome cybernetic body.

But when I die, I would like my remains to do the most to help, so yeah, I signed up for donation, though I am in a similar situation as some of you and my vital organs probably won't be of much use due to illnesses, which made me stop donating blood (and selling plasma a few times, because why the hell not?)... But there's still all those bits like skin (which is allergic to a ton of cosmetics, but I'm not sure if that would transfer but whatever) and my corneas and whatnot. I do have 20/20 vision so there's that. And if what's left and unusable can't be donated to science or serve no other purpose, then maybe give the ashes to my family to do whatever the fuck they want with them cause I'll be dead and thus not able to care.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby mancityfooty » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 pm

My license says "organ donor" printed on the front.
I'm old enough to remember (and hell, maybe Missouri still is this way), there was a space on the back that you had to check mark and sign. And, of course, you had to find a pen that would permanently and easily mark a piece of plastic.

You can have what you want. But you might want to skip the lungs and the liver.

No takers? Fine. Send me to that corpse farm.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby SilverMaple » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:15 am

I had meant to register to be a donor a couple months back, but it had completely slipped my mind until now. TCS, (potentially) saving lives one forgetful idiot at a time. I shall do so tomorrow, since my health card is across the room, and the realm outside this blanket is dark and full of terrors. Also cold. I wouldn't wish my problematic respiratory system upon anyone, but if I'm not using any of it, what's the point of keeping it?

I've wanted to donate blood for a while now, but I haven't been able to work up the nerve to call and make an appointment. Apparently they call and hound you to donate again every little while after you first donate, which is a problem because talking on the phone is already awkward as hell for me, never mind having to turn down making another appointment. So that kind of turns me off of the idea.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:12 am

I wouldn't hesitate donating other peoples organs though, since there are a couple of people I know that pays well for organs (not officially of course).

Anyway, when I finally "move on" I'm not sure I would have anything salvageable regardless. Because anything less than complete annihaltion probably ain't gonna slow me down.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:12 pm

I am not for two reasons.

1 - Paranoia. What if I can be saved and they let me die just to harvest my guts?

2 - Brazil. My opinion doesn't matter shit, my living relatives are the ones who will decide if my organs will be donated or not in case of death, and the legal default is "no". Having a donor card means only I would consent to having them harvested, but have no legal weight.

Quite ironic, given how many people die in this country every year. We could be the world's organ farm if we forced everyone to donate.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

PreviousNext