Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spiders.

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spiders.

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:26 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-12/sydneysiders-are-being-urged-to-catch-deadly-funnel-web-spiders/6846254

Spoiler: show
Image


Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch deadly funnel-web spiders to boost anti-venom stock wrote:
Sydneysiders are being urged to catch deadly funnel-web spiders in a quest to build stocks of anti-venom.

The poison created by funnel-webs is needed to make the anti-venom which in turn is used to treat spider bite victims.

Without the anti-venom, victims could die within the hour. Sydney funnel-webs have been known to be the deadliest spider in the world, but no deaths have been recorded since the anti-venom was developed 30 years ago. The Australian Reptile Park relies on donations of funnel-webs from the public and is desperately low on spiders to milk. The park is the sole supplier of funnel-web spiders to the anti-venom producers and said it needed about 400 male spiders to keep up supply this season.

The Australian Reptile Park supplies the venom to Commonwealth Serum Laboratories, who manufacture the only Australian anti-venoms that save human snake bite and spider bite victims. Australian Reptile Park operations manager Mike Drinkwater told Robbie Buck on 702 ABC Sydney the park was running low in numbers.

"Each year, at this time when it is warming up, we need to get the public involved to help us get as many funnel-webs as possible so we can milk as many as we can to provide the venom which is essential to make that life saving anti-venom," he said.

While funnel-webs can be found across Sydney, people in the Northern Beaches were most likely to find the deadly creatures in their backyards. "The Northern Beaches is a real hot spot, but they are found in other areas from southern Sydney right up to Newcastle," Mr Drinkwater said.

The park has not offered any monetary incentive for catching the spiders.


Spoiler: show
Image


Catching funnel-webs is not an activity for children or the faint-hearted.

"People often think we are crazy asking them to catch deadly funnel-webs, and we tell people this is an adults-only activity; we don't want kids anywhere near spiders," Mr Drinkwater said.

He said a tall jar or container and a stick was all that was required to catch a funnel-web because — despite myths to the contrary — the spiders cannot jump. "They just stand there and try and defend themselves," Mr Drinkwater said. "They can't jump at you, they won't run at you."

Mr Drinkwater recommended people put damp cotton wool or soil in the jar and lay it down beside the spider and use the stick to flick the spider into the jar. "They cannot climb the sides; they don't have the capability to climb a slippery surface," he said.

The park has a number of delivery locations for those brave enough to catch these small killers.



It's good living in Australia...
  • 16

Last edited by Marcuse on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Hidden spider image behind spoiler tag as kind of a jump scare.
Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby Absentia » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:53 am

Man, you can't post a picture like that without some kind of warning. I was about to go to sleep.
  • 17

User avatar
Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am
Location: Earth
Show rep

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby Windy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:44 am

The poison created by funnel-webs is needed to make the anti-venom which in turn is used to treat spider bite victims.


Funny how that works.
  • 0

User avatar
Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3112
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am
Show rep

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Artist rendition of spider capture:

  • 4

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6572
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Artist rendition of spider capture:



Found-footage of a failed attempt at capturing an Australian spider and what occurred afterwards.
  • 13

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:01 pm

They came first for the funnel-web spiders
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a funnel-web spider.

Then they came for the tarantulas
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a tarantula.

Then they came for the black widows,
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a black widow.

Then they came for me
And there was no one left to speak up for me
  • 19

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
User avatar
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:55 pm
Location: Inside your ear canal
Show rep

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby Twistappel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 pm

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:They came first for the funnel-web spiders
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a funnel-web spider.

Then they came for the tarantulas
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a tarantula.

Then they came for the black widows,
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a black widow.

Then they came for me
And there was no one left to speak up for me

[chases BROWNRECLUSE around the forum, wielding a double-plugger]
  • 11

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Australians, it is your patriotic duty to attempt to capture funnel webs. No, I didn't say do it drunk. PUT THAT BOOZE DOWN!
  • 11

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11541
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby cmsellers » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:39 pm

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:They came first for the funnel-web spiders
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a funnel-web spider.

Then they came for the tarantulas
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a tarantula.

Then they came for the black widows,
And I didn't speak up, because I was not a black widow.

Then they came for me
And there was no one left to speak up for me

No worries mate, I'm pretty sure I'm coming after you first, seeing as how funnel webs and widows usually stay in their webs, whereas you have an inordinate fondness for bananas. That is you in my fruit basket, right?
  • 5

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8903
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby Australia » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:25 pm

sunglasses wrote:Australians, it is your patriotic duty to attempt to capture funnel webs. No, I didn't say do it drunk. PUT THAT BOOZE DOWN!


Aw you wanna go, do ya mate? I'll show you!

Image
  • 11

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
User avatar
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Take a wild guess
Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:04 pm

While funnel-webs can be found across Sydney, people in the Northern Beaches were most likely to find the deadly creatures in their backyards.


Now let's frame that properly shall we?

Spoiler: show
Image
  • 5

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6572
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Australia wrote:
sunglasses wrote:Australians, it is your patriotic duty to attempt to capture funnel webs. No, I didn't say do it drunk. PUT THAT BOOZE DOWN!


Aw you wanna go, do ya mate? I'll show you!

Spoiler: show
Image


Did....did that kangaroo apply a rear-naked choke to a woman?
  • 6

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
User avatar
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:55 pm
Location: Inside your ear canal
Show rep

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby Paradox » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:55 pm

The real men's way to catch a spider:

  • 2

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
User avatar
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Dunbar, WV
Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:58 pm

And I thought jokes about Australia being the most dangerous place on Earth were annoying people...of course, they aren't jokes because they are evidently true.

Also, allow me to respond to the news about funnel web spiders with this: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • 3

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
User avatar
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: Marianna, Florida
Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: Australian Reptile Park urges Sydneysiders to catch spid

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Absentia wrote:Man, you can't post a picture like that without some kind of warning. I was about to go to sleep.

COMRADE! the jump scare if the fault of one of the bourgeoisie mods! Marcuse to be precise, THAT BASTARD EDITED IT TO A JUMP SCARE!
  • 2

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
User avatar
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:30 am
Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests