Positive News Thread

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Positive News Thread

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:38 am

sunglasses wrote:Good news everybody!

The NIH is going to retire the chimps used for testing. And by retire I mean they'll be going to an animal sanctuary, not that they're going to rise up and enslave us all.

I assumed it meant they were sending them to Florida, and was thinking it might be kinder to just keep experimenting on them.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:25 pm

An obese man who was on the verge of death was advised to buy a dog. He bought a fat middle aged dog so he could relate to it. Both of them lost weight together, and the companionship of the dog helped him. He no longer needs his medications, stopped having diabetes, and runs marathons now.

He said he had never felt the connection he had to his dog with any person or animal. I think it's rather sad he made it to age 50 without experiencing any close bond at all.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:49 pm

GAWD I'm crying.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Tesseracts wrote:He said he had never felt the connection he had to his dog with any person or animal. I think it's rather sad he made it to age 50 without experiencing any close bond at all.

Obviously (hopefully) he must have had close bonds with others, however this is a dog he's talking about. Naturally he never had a bond this strong before.

Not sure why you thought he never experienced any close bond before, it's a dog. It's lik... Well, you know how mothers love their children and always seem to have some sort of attachment to them that they never experienced before? It's kind of like that, except dogs won't snitch on you for accidentally breaking some cheap but very sentimental vase owned by the old "ball and chain" when they get older and learn to talk.

Anyway, it can be a very close companionship. And like love for a beautiful gal or love for you child, love for a dog is different (unless you are uh...).

So I'm not surprised that this guy having a full-time companion that would never judge him nor look down on him, instead being completely devoted and loyal to him would create a connection he hasn't felt before. Not to mention a dog that shared the same issues he has, issues that he had worked on alongside his fluffy companion until they achieved solving it. God knows the sort of bond that could create.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Piter Lauchy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:25 pm

Tesseracts wrote:He bought a fat middle aged dog so he could relate to it.

It is a beautiful story and all, but this made me laugh hard.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby mancityfooty » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:45 pm

There was a guy in our neighborhood who started walking with a Beagle.

Well, more like jogging, albeit slowly. He wasn't as obese as our neighbor who looks like he's 9 months pregnant, but he did have man boobs.

Over the past few years, you could actually see how much weight he had lost taking his dog on walks.

The last time I saw him out and about, there was a woman with him and his dog.

If it's stopped raining, we're taking the dogs on a walk tonight. Probably the only perk from DST.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby Bert » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:27 pm

The US military announced they have killed ISIL's finance minister this week. While there apparently was an attempt to capture him alive in motion, it was called off and an airstrike used instead. Probably either because an increased risk to the personnel involved in the capture operation was discovered or he was getting away.

Abd al-Rahman Mustafa al-Qaduli had been operating in Iraq since 2004 as part of the leadership of Al-Qaida in Iraq, before it became ISIL. In addition to his financial duties, he also did some planning for external operations, though it isn't know if the Brussels attack was one of them. In any case, it is a welcome disruption to ISIL operations.

"Condoms are a sign of a bad relationship." -Kate

"We have been here a while. We are not clean people." -Typical Michael
Bert
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:28 pm

So they killed ISIS accountant and call it a win?

I mean, yeah, sure, how will they do their taxes now? But... guess we should aim a bit higher than that?

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby DjiboutiDan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:29 pm

NotCIAAgent wrote:So they killed ISIS accountant and call it a win?

I mean, yeah, sure, how will they do their taxes now?

Probably hire some Jewish guy.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 am

DjiboutiDan wrote:
NotCIAAgent wrote:So they killed ISIS accountant and call it a win?

I mean, yeah, sure, how will they do their taxes now?

Probably hire some Jewish guy.

Worlds most wanted accountant 2016.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Marcuse » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Necro-fuckin-mancy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-38141319

A father of an autistic child who refuses to drink from anything other than an out-of-production blue Tommee Tippee cup appeals online for a replacement because he fears his son will literally die if he doesn't find another one. Thousands offer their old cups, then the manufacturer find the old designs, make 500 of them and promise to give him them on-demand for the rest of his life.

Awesome.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:41 am

I knew we had one of these somewhere.

For some reason, my MSN news feed recently acquired a new tab called "Good News". This was in in it:

USA Today wrote:Jews open temple to Muslims after mosque burns down

VICTORIA, Texas — Early Saturday morning, members of the Victoria Islamic Center were notified that that their mosque had been destroyed by a fire overnight.

The incident occurred just hours after President Donald Trump signed his controversial executive order blocking citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States. At this time, the cause of the fire is unknown and being investigated.

The small town of 62,000 immediately came together, with leaders of different faiths sharing their support.

Members of the one Jewish temple in the town, the Congregation B’Nai Israel, were the first to offer their house of worship. They handed their synagogue’s keys to one of the mosque's founders.

FULL ARTICLE

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:47 am

Sir David Attenborough sent a handwritten letter to a little Australian girl who sent him a drawing of an echidna.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Marcuse » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40809032

A dying woman's wish for a milkshake from her home town is fulfilled by the company that makes them shipping one across the US especially for her.

Emily Pomeranz, who was in a hospice near Washington DC with pancreatic cancer, had a hankering to taste a mocha shake from her hometown diner.

She told her friend, Sam Klein, and he contacted Tommy's in Cleveland Heights to arrange the long-distance order.
The drink reached her bedside four days before she passed away last Friday.

Mr Klein, who also grew up in the Cleveland area before moving to Washington DC, had asked his old friend during a visit to her hospice if she needed anything.

"She said with a smile, 'I wish I could have one more Tommy's mocha milkshake,'" Mr Klein said.

He said he contacted the general information email address for the restaurant. "A few days later I got a call from Tommy Fello, the owner of Tommy's. 'Yes. We will figure out a way to do this,' is what he said,"

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 am

Just heard on the radio that four little girls in Michigan successfully fought off a kidnapper.

The girls, ages 11 to 14, were leaving a gas station convenience store in Millington, Michigan, last week when a man grabbed one of the girls by the hair and attempted to kidnap her, according to police.

Officers with the Millington Police Department said the suspect, identified as 22-year-old Bruce Hipkins, followed the girls last Friday night and eventually grabbed one them “around the head and told her she was coming with him.” “The other three girls kicked, hit, and threw their hot coffee on him,” the department said in a statement Saturday. “The suspect let the young girl go and grabbed another one of the girls by her hair. The suspect was again kicked and hit by the girls until he let her go and fled on foot.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-girl ... d=57163812

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the police caught the attempted kidnapper a bit later, presumably somewhat worse for wear. So no worries about the guy still being on the streets.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous