The Really Big One

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

The Really Big One

Postby Qinglong » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 pm

This is probably the scariest thing I've read all year.
New Yorker wrote:When the next very big earthquake hits, the northwest edge of the continent, from California to Canada and the continental shelf to the Cascades, will drop by as much as six feet and rebound thirty to a hundred feet to the west—losing, within minutes, all the elevation and compression it has gained over centuries. Some of that shift will take place beneath the ocean, displacing a colossal quantity of seawater. … The water will surge upward into a huge hill, then promptly collapse. One side will rush west, toward Japan. The other side will rush east, in a seven-hundred-mile liquid wall that will reach the Northwest coast, on average, fifteen minutes after the earthquake begins. By the time the shaking has ceased and the tsunami has receded, the region will be unrecognizable. Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.” In the Pacific Northwest, everything west of Interstate 5 covers some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people.
A grown man is knocked over by ankle-deep water moving at 6.7 miles an hour. The tsunami will be moving more than twice that fast when it arrives. Its height will vary with the contours of the coast, from twenty feet to more than a hundred feet. It will not look like a Hokusai-style wave, rising up from the surface of the sea and breaking from above. It will look like the whole ocean, elevated, overtaking land. Nor will it be made only of water—not once it reaches the shore. It will be a five-story deluge of pickup trucks and doorframes and cinder blocks and fishing boats and utility poles and everything else that once constituted the coastal towns of the Pacific Northwest.

Any TCS'ers living on the northwest coast of North America?

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Re: The Really Big One

Postby PSTN » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Places to move:

Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal?

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:09 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:14 pm

I live like a mile east of I-5, so apparently I'll be able to bike over there and then stand resolutely as the wave of destruction almost reaches me before receding.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:26 pm

Places to move to: Oklahoma. Come over to my house, people, so we can have an End of the World party! My treat.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:32 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:A quake like that would probably trigger Yellowstone.

Yay, we get to live out Cormac McCarthy's The Road!

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Dibs on Charlize Theron!

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Kevin_Durant wrote:Places to move to: Oklahoma. Come over to my house, people, so we can have an End of the World party! My treat.

Well, at least until tornado season comes.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:21 am

East Coast Bias for the win please.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:29 am

Well, I'm only a mile from the ocean, but am still technically east of the I-5, so I should be safe.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 am

iMURDAu wrote:East Coast Bias for the win please.

Sandy:

Irene:

And, most devastating of all:

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:05 am

Also, it's not going to trigger Yellowstone. Earthquakes just like this one have been occurring along the Cascadia subduction zone every few hundred years for millennia. The last "really big one" occurred in 1700, and there have been 41 such events in the last 10,000 years. Meanwhile, Yellowstone hasn't had a lava flow in 70,000 years, and hasn't had a super-eruption in over 600,000 years.

EDIT: btw Aviel, I hope the location marked on that map isn't your actual address. Also, San Clemente is way too far south to be seriously affected.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:40 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:42 am

Crimson847 wrote:EDIT: btw Aviel, I hope the location marked on that map isn't your actual address. Also, San Clemente is way too far south to be seriously affected.

Most people here know my address, and the fact that nobody has stalked me is honestly kind of an insult at this point.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby PSTN » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 am

aviel wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:EDIT: btw Aviel, I hope the location marked on that map isn't your actual address. Also, San Clemente is way too far south to be seriously affected.

Most people here know my address, and the fact that nobody has stalked me is honestly kind of an insult at this point.

Yes, no one is stalking you. Watching. Waiting --waiting for the perfect time to strike.
And trying to think of a way to do it so it looks like just a regular crime, not some kind of anti-Semitic hate-crime.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Next