The Really Big One

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The Really Big One

Postby blehblah » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:38 pm

I live in a part of Canada that holds a solid portion of the worlds fresh water (we always flush twice, not because we must, but because we can), we still remember the great ice storm of '98 (and exactly not much has happened since), the most dangerous insect is a grub (they will fuck you up since you totally will need to reseed part of your lawn), the most dangerous animal is my mother in-law, the rock under our feet is some of the oldest in the world (so it ain't going anywhere), and yet we still find plenty of time to bitch about... stuff, I guess.

Anyhow, fascinating topic.

The funny thing about major geological events is that they occur on a geological time scale, meaning that chances are pretty good you won't be alive when it happens. On the other hand, somebody has to. Just ask Chuck, possibly the unluckiest T-rex ever, who was just about to finally lose his virginity pass-on his superior genes when WHAM, K-T event. It's like rolling a massive D&D die - except if your number comes-up, you won't like it.

Humans have a funny bias where we always believe that we, the ones who are alive now, will be the ones to experience something. I forget the term for it... oh, yeah, "self importance". Seriously, though - there is an actual thing. It's why stories about the next global disaster are so compelling. That's not to dismiss that such things do happen, but, were I a betting man, I'd go with, "You won't be here to see it".

On the other hand, when it comes to things like climate change, we have a bias about future results that leads us to dismiss long-term consequences. The future ain't real to us, hence preferring one dollar today over ten dollars next Tuesday.

I like to ponder such things whilst I procrastinate, especially with consideration toward why I procrastinate, because since we're all going to be wiped-out by <insert cataclysm> anyway, why should I put a cover sheet on my TPS report?

The crappy part about being a geologist is that the margin of error is... generous. Just ask these folks: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... tists-get/. The verdict was later overturned, but still - damn, Italy - you funny.

Anywho - here's a clickhole for ya!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk

Try to make it back within a few hours.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:27 am

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

I know it's probably not related, but seeing as I live in the potential zone that will no longer qualify as a civilization if and when the quake hits, better safe than pulverized.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! The Sinking City (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prick With A Pen

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

Washington just got hit with a 4.7 half an hour ago. Woke up thinking someone was punching my bed. Shaking wasn't bad enough to actually rattle or break anything in my condo, but it certainly scared the fuck out of me.

Is this a sign that The Really Big One is finally coming? I don't know, probably not, hopefully not. But after what just happened in California, my nerves are too frayed to write off coincidences.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! The Sinking City (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prick With A Pen

Previous