Cosby, Bill

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Cosby, Bill

Postby blehblah » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 pm

One link isn't enough, and so:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch ... by&tbm=nws

Where to start, TCS-pudding-pops?

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Re: Cosby, Bill

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Innocent till proven guilty babe. Thass how I rolls, let the legal system take it's course.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Marcuse » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 am

Thass how I rolls, let the legal system take it's course.

Only problem with that is that the reported offences took place outside of the statute of limitations preventing either a civil or criminal case being brought here unless Cosby allows it apparently. I don't see why he would ever do that, so they're calling for an alternative of him setting up a $10 million fund for these people without anything ever being proven in court.

I'm a big fan of innocent until proven guilty myself, but I think this situation might be a little more complicated than that.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:42 am

Marcuse wrote:Only problem with that is that the reported offences took place outside of the statute of limitations preventing either a civil or criminal case being brought here

Well that sucks. They should change that.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:58 am

I'm certainly glad that I was never a Bill Cosby fan. This is an extremely hard situation, unlikely to be ever resolved. Similar to the Woody Allen case. But his defenders can say at least that the charges against him were dismissed by a court.

Cosby's lawyer said "The new, never-before-heard claims from women who have come forward in the past two weeks with unsubstantiated, fantastical stories about things they say occurred 30, 40, or even 50 years ago have escalated far past the point of absurdity." But I'm reminded of Jimmy Savile. There were allegations about him when he was alive but they were dismissed. After he died, there was an investigation, and in turned out that he has been a prolific sexual predator for decades - worse than anyone would've thought. So, there's that.

And what about Janice Dickinson? What does she got to gain? You can't say she just wants to be famous, she already is. But of course, one person's testimony is not enough, can never be enough. The whole thing is a mess, and I don't see how it could be cleared up.

You have been listening to My Thoughts on the case. Good night and good luck.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:26 am

I'm increasingly of the stance that news of a crime doesn't really qualify as news unless there is something exceptional about the crime. And the fact that it's a celebrity certainly doesn't count: celebrity news isn't really news either.

Crimes happen every day, and they don't usually have a broader impact on things. From our standpoint as citizens of the internet, we are not really in a place to help solve the issue, nor does the issue affect us. Political and economic issues both affect us and are within our ability to change (so long as we live in non-communist democracies). So I guess where to start is: "who cares?"

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:30 am

If the crimes happened, they went unpunished, because the criminal had enough power and influence to avoid justice. That is important.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:47 am

aviel wrote:I'm increasingly of the stance that news of a crime doesn't really qualify as news unless there is something exceptional about the crime. And the fact that it's a celebrity certainly doesn't count: celebrity news isn't really news either.

Hey! Don't make have to explain what the word "News" means again, cause I will if I have to. And as previously explained, this does meet the criteria. Look just invent another word and use that instead if need be, but don't be having a go at the word "News" it's not it's fault.

aviel wrote:Crimes happen every day, and they don't usually have a broader impact on things. From our standpoint as citizens of the internet, we are not really in a place to help solve the issue, nor does the issue affect us. Political and economic issues both affect us and are within our ability to change (so long as we live in non-communist democracies). So I guess where to start is: "who cares?"

Well People who care, care for one. If that doesn't include you, well .... that's not really relevant. If you're not interested in discussing it, then don't participate. Don't feel obligated dude, I release you from that. I mean, let's be honest here, whether or not an issue is within a place for us to solve it or affect us, is in no way a requirement for us to discourse about it, verbally, through word-useage. IN FACT, With the power invested in me I hereby ALLOW people to talk about matters that they are not in a place to solve or are necessarily affected by.

Think nothing of it, I'm happy to help.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:13 am

Awkward chat up line: Hey baby you want me to slide ya a puddin pop?

Isn't Bill Cosby the guy who spoke out against rap music for poisoning the minds of black youth? Yes, I'm pretty sure it was him.

10 internets bounty will be paid for the first Rudy gif posted in the thread. Bonus points if its "his name is Bud".

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 am

You put my thingy into your innie and then mix it all around!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:42 am

Aquila89 wrote:If the crimes happened, they went unpunished, because the criminal had enough power and influence to avoid justice. That is important.

I think if there is evidence that this is why the criminal went unpunished, then yeah, that's corruption in the justice system and does constitute news. Do we have such evidence?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby JamishT » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:55 am

I was thinking about this and related cases the other night. I think it's really unfair to both the accused and the accuser to publicize rape/molestation accusations. If a person is accused and it becomes public, that person's reputation is destroyed (only those who really know the person will stand by them and not immediately cut them out of their lives or whatever). That's not fair at all.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:01 am

Why is it unfair to the accuser? In this case, the statue of limitations expired, so even if the charges are true, Cosby will never go to jail. If the charges are false, we can't really talk about fairness. If they are true, of course the accusers want to destroy his reputation. If they can't bring him to justice, at least they want the world to know who he really is.

aviel wrote:I'm increasingly of the stance that news of a crime doesn't really qualify as news unless there is something exceptional about the crime. And the fact that it's a celebrity certainly doesn't count: celebrity news isn't really news either.

D-LOGAN wrote:Well People who care, care for one. If that doesn't include you, well .... that's not really relevant. If you're not interested in discussing it, then don't participate.

Exactly. I mean, what do you want to do here? Tell us what we should and should not discuss? Who made you the arbiter of that? There are many, many things we talk about here that aren't really "news", just curiosities. If you don't like that, tough tits.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:07 am

The thing is, right or wrong, people take celebrities as role models, especially people like Bill Cosby. Seeing your role model being accused of a crime is usually a big deal. I mean, what if your dad was suddenly accused of being a rapist by people he frequented 20-30 years ago?

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby malosaires » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 pm

aviel wrote:Crimes happen every day, and they don't usually have a broader impact on things. From our standpoint as citizens of the internet, we are not really in a place to help solve the issue, nor does the issue affect us. Political and economic issues both affect us and are within our ability to change (so long as we live in non-communist democracies). So I guess where to start is: "who cares?"

While I'm with you that people care way of much about crime and celebrity news, on the matter of caring about things that don't directly affect our lives, I would say this:

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

I've got a tumblr where I write about stuff, some of which is also on this site. I've also got a few videos you might wanna check out.
malosaires
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pre-Futurist

Next