Cosby, Bill

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Cosby, Bill

Postby JamesT » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:44 am

gregfrankenstein wrote:I've noticed a shift in the tone of Facebook discussion about this ever since that horrible Rolling Stone debacle where they backtracked and called a potential college rape victim a big fat liar, because apparently when you go through a traumatic event, two years later you're supposed to know the exact weekend it happened. So now when the topic of Bill Cosby comes up, I'm seeing a lot more WHY WOULD SHE WAIT SO LONG TO CRY RAPE, THAT PHONY and angry diatribes of that ilk.

This is a gross misinterpretation of the reasons they backtracked. It may or may not have happened but there are some serious questions about her story including false names and fishy phone numbers.

edit: Just to be extra clear, I'm not making comments on whether or not anything occurred, just that Rolling Stone had valid reasons for backtracking. Really, they should have done their fact checking before publishing the story but a huge part of for-profit news is getting things out first, often at the expense of accuracy.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:04 am

gregfrankenstein wrote:It's a strange feeling that I'm basically hoping a woman was in fact sexually assaulted, because every time a story backfires like that, it makes people even less likely to come forward, and the rates of reporting are already dreadfully low.

I think what you meant to say is, you hope people wouldn't be terrible enough to accuse somebody of acts they did not commit.

This isn't entirely related to the above, but: when I was bullied in school, more often than not, I didn't tell my parents about it. I knew they would believe me, and I knew they would do something about it. Often when they did something about it, it worked. They never made things worse, as is the cliche on TV.

The reason I didn't tell them is because I was ashamed. I blamed myself for everything I went through, and to tell somebody else what had happened would bring the shame back. Now that I'm older I not nearly as inclined to feel guilty about things other people do to me, but it was different at the time.

Also, when I was a rich and famous celebrity who has starred in a bunch of movies, some people accused me of terrible things I didn't do.

One of those two things did not actually happen to me. I like to make things difficult, so you'll have to guess which. However, I believe both of these things can happen and have happened some people at some point during the events of human history.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby gregfrankenstein » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:23 am

Tesseracts wrote:I think what you meant to say is, you hope people wouldn't be terrible enough to accuse somebody of acts they did not commit.

Well yeah. I was just saying it's strange that when someone is accused of something, my instinct is, "Gosh I hope that actually happened." Because false accusations hurt victims.

I phrase things weirdly.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Bert » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Cosby has been charged with felony sexual assault by the state of Pennsylvania for allegedly drugging and assaulting a former Temple University employee at his home outside of Philadelphia in 2004.

It is interesting that charges were filed now because the statute of limitations for the alleged crime would have run out at the end of this month, meaning it was now or never. The fact they are doing it at the last minute makes me think they were buying time to build a stronger case because the evidence isn't as strong as they would like. So we will see how this goes. My early prediction based on nothing but that is he will avoid a conviction.

"Condoms are a sign of a bad relationship." -Kate

"We have been here a while. We are not clean people." -Typical Michael
Bert
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:30 pm

I base it on his money. Sorry, I'm biased against the rich and famous. I think they buy their way out of almost everything.

I shouldn't be so jaded.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby SandTea » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:56 pm

sunglasses wrote:I base it on his money. Sorry, I'm biased against the rich and famous. I think they buy their way out of almost everything.

I shouldn't be so jaded.

At least affluenza kid got picked up for bailing on parole with his ma. Same with O.J. getting away with murder then getting booked for robbery/kidnapping or whatever that was. What like, over 50 rapes cosby got away with? Maybe this one will KO and fuck him back. still waiting on casey anthony tho so who knows.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:23 pm

gregfrankenstein wrote:Well yeah. I was just saying it's strange that when someone is accused of something, my instinct is, "Gosh I hope that actually happened." Because false accusations hurt victims.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with the wife of a mate of mine not too long ago. Basically we were all at a wedding up the north, and I was getting a lift with them back home. Naturally given that we were just at a wedding the conversation turned to the topic of rape, as it's want to do, and she began giving her view on the state of things in colleges over in America at the moment. Basically she was under the impression that American colleges were essentially rape factories and that any woman who set foot in such a place was bound to be raped or attacked in some form. And that she wouldn't let any of her nieces ever go to one if they tried because to her, being a woman in an American college today was akin to being a Tutsi in Rwanda in 1994.

I started trying to tell her that this wasn't an accurate picture of things as while of course rapes happened, it wasn't near as bad. Like that 1 in 5 thing is a myth based on faulty assumptions and mentioning some of the highly publicised rape cases that turned out to be false, like the Duke Lacrosse one, which I pointed had the hysteria that involved people smashing the windows of the house the guys lived in and holding up signs demanded for them to be castrated and whatnot, only for them to be proven innocent.

To which she added- "Oh yeah totally. False claims of rape are awful, because they make it so much harder for real victims of rape to be taken seriously."
And I was like- "No, false accusations of rape are horrible, becaue an innocent person is being accused of rape. Like if an innocent man is accused of rape, then HE is the victim there, not future hypotethical people."
To which she responded with a smile and a shake of head- "Well yeah, of course you'd say that, you're a man, you're bound to sympathise with your own gender first."

To which I replied "So ... it was a lovely service back there wasn't it?" It was a loooooong drive back home, may as well keep things cordial.

:)

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby SandTea » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:04 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:To which she added- "Oh yeah totally. False claims of rape are awful, because they make it so much harder for real victims of rape to be taken seriously."
And I was like- "No, false accusations of rape are horrible, becaue an innocent person is being accused of rape. Like if an innocent man is accused of rape, then HE is the victim there, AND future hypotethical people."
To which she responded with a smile and a shake of head- "Well yeah, of course you'd say that, you're a man, you're bound to sympathise with your own gender first."

To which I replied "So ... it was a lovely service back there wasn't it?" It was a loooooong drive back home, may as well keep things cordial.

:)

Maybe that sorta fix would have people less standoffish. We humans can't realize that giving 'the other' group rights doesn't take any of theirs away... except their ability to be shitty towards the 'other' which now that i think about it might be the status quo they want. shit, im rambling again and i always subvert myself when i do that :D

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Marcuse » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:13 am

I think it's worth noting that the case against Cosby is based, in part, on a prior civil case where Cosby admitted to giving women he slept with drugs before having sex with them. He claimed at the time this was consensual.

I heard this on BBC news on the TV, so take from that as you will.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:12 am

D-LOGAN wrote:
gregfrankenstein wrote:Well yeah. I was just saying it's strange that when someone is accused of something, my instinct is, "Gosh I hope that actually happened." Because false accusations hurt victims.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with the wife of a mate of mine not too long ago. Basically we were all at a wedding up the north, and I was getting a lift with them back home. Naturally given that we were just at a wedding the conversation turned to the topic of rape, as it's want to do, and she began giving her view on the state of things in colleges over in America at the moment. Basically she was under the impression that American colleges were essentially rape factories and that any woman who set foot in such a place was bound to be raped or attacked in some form. And that she wouldn't let any of her nieces ever go to one if they tried because to her, being a woman in an American college today was akin to being a Tutsi in Rwanda in 1994.

I started trying to tell her that this wasn't an accurate picture of things as while of course rapes happened, it wasn't near as bad. Like that 1 in 5 thing is a myth based on faulty assumptions and mentioning some of the highly publicised rape cases that turned out to be false, like the Duke Lacrosse one, which I pointed had the hysteria that involved people smashing the windows of the house the guys lived in and holding up signs demanded for them to be castrated and whatnot, only for them to be proven innocent.

To which she added- "Oh yeah totally. False claims of rape are awful, because they make it so much harder for real victims of rape to be taken seriously."

Nice attempt to find a point of agreement. She didn't go far enough for it to work, though.

And I was like- "No, false accusations of rape are horrible, becaue an innocent person is being accused of rape. Like if an innocent man is accused of rape, then HE is the victim there, not future hypotethical people."

Ooooh, that was a blunder. *winces* Arguing that the man is a victim was fair. Arguing that female rape victims who are treated like liars are not also victims of false rape accusations was too far.

...And there goes the last remaining shred of civility.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:34 am

I'll point out that the "1 in 5" number is approximately true, but that it's not necessarily worse in colleges than it is elsewhere. If you look among college educated women in particular, or among women in general in the US, approximately 20% of them (a little more or less, depending on what estimate you look at) have been raped.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:37 am

Yeah, maybe next time you can try defending American colleges without throwing rape victims under the bus.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 am

aviel wrote:I'll point out that the "1 in 5" number is approximately true, but that it's not necessarily worse in colleges than it is elsewhere. If you look among college educated women in particular, or among women in general in the US, approximately 20% of them (a little more or less, depending on what estimate you look at) have been raped.

I think he's referring to the "1 in 4" stat, which IIRC states that about 1 in 4 women who attend college are raped during that time, and was based on a single study from the 80s with terrible methodology. 1 in 5 is indeed a reasonable approximation of the lifetime victimization rate (18% according to the CDC), which is a different thing.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:56 am

I'd just like to say that in addition to being mad at Bill Cosby for ruining the lives of all those women, I'm also selfishly mad at him for making it impossible to enjoy reruns of the The Cosby Show. I liked that show and now it's been pulled from syndication, and even if it was on I couldn't watch it without thinking "God dammit Bill Cosby" the whole time. Malcolm Jamal-Warner probably needed those residuals, too.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:01 am

The Cosby Show has always been unwatchable. I never liked Bill Cosby. He also did that annoying show Kids Say the Darndest Things. He criticized Chris Rock for being a bad "role model" to black people, and for saying "nigger" in his comedy.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

PreviousNext