You Can't Kill Yourself With a Hyundai

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: You Can't Kill Yourself With a Hyundai

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 am

Let's just agree that claiming "You Can't Kill Yourself With Our Product!" is a terrible advertising idea. Obvious reasons being the poor taste, making light of the real issue etc. But becuase you can literally kill yourself with anything, on top of these you are inviting the suicidal hipsters to prove you wrong. Just for the bragging rights on their tombstones: "Enjoyed Hyundai ironically", "Killed himself with Huyndai before it was cool"...
Plus the joke itself has already been done so many times, I have heard it with Toyota Prius, and long before that with electric ovens.

Robert
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Speed kills, drive a Hyundai and live forever

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Learned Nand » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 am

Actually, I'm going to do the math now on how much hydrogen is required to flood a garage. First, let's calculate how much water is needed.

We'll assume that the garage is 4 x 4 x 3 meters. Water has a density of one gram per cubic centimeter. A cubic meter is 1 million cubic centimeters, which means 1 million grams of water, or 1 metric ton of water. That means, to fill the whole garage, we'd need 4 x 4 x 3 metric tons of water, or 48 metric tons.

To find out how much hydrogen is required to create a certain amount of water, let's look at the equation for the combustion of Hydrogen. It's 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O. That means two hydrogen atoms are required to create one molecule of water. Two hydrogen atoms sum up to about 2 AMU of mass, and 2 AMU of mass in hydrogen produces 18 AMU of mass in water. That means that a certain amount of mass of hydrogen creates 9 times that mass in water.

So, if we have 48 metric tons of water, we need to burn five and a third (5.33333...) metric tons of hydrogen, or about 12,000 pounds of hydrogen. Given that an average car might weigh as much as 4,000 pounds, I find it very unlikely that a fully fueled hydrogen-powered car would carry three times its weight in fuel.

A gasoline-powered car might carry about 16 gallons of gasoline at its fullest, and given gasoline's density of about 6 pounds per gallon (which is about three quarters that of water), this means that a car is only likely to carry about 100 pounds of gas, or about 2.5% of its weight in fuel, not 300% of its weight in fuel. A hydrogen car carrying enough fuel to flood a garage would be carrying 120 times more fuel than a car would carry today.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 am

Look... even that would have been a better commercial for that car.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Penguinetta » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm left thinking he walks into his house and is more successful with someone else's product. Couldn't they have let him say "oh well, I'll go for a drive instead and enjoy my nice new Hyundai" and that would cheer him up? Or something? Or anything??!

Penguinetta
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Mon May 06, 2013 5:20 pm

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon May 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I thought it was bad when one car company thought that was a good advertising strategy. Given this new development I propose an immediate and merciless cull of all car advertising executives, because they're clearly pod people.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Kate » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I thought it was bad when one car company thought that was a good advertising strategy. Given this new development I propose an immediate and merciless cull of all car advertising executives, because they're clearly pod people.

Pod, the new Smart Car by Hyundai (You also can't kill yourself with this one. Except by driving it on a highway full of semis).

Edit: But seriously, this kind of hurts my soul. It's a little sad that it's always a certain type of guy doing the same thing. I don't see how guys who commit suicide that way lend themselves to jokes in any obvious way.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Sekhmet » Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 am

I first heard about this through the Quick Fix and though, from the title, it was going to be a light-hearted, probably about bad ideas from the stunts, like using your car like a skateboard, but boy was I wrong.

I have to wonder how a group of adults though that this ad was a good idea. It seems like something a group of angsty teens would do to seem cool and edgy. I wish that I was surprised by this but I’m not, the edgy ads normally get a lot of attention but being creative is hard and being original is even harder.

Also many people seem to think that being edgy equals being offensive, which is not the case.

So remember, If the women don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy. –Red Green
Sekhmet
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby dargonhuman » Sat May 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Robert wrote:Plus the joke itself has already been done so many times,

What you're saying is, the failed suicide joke has been "done to death"?
Ba-dum-tish.
Yea, I'll see myself out. No, don't get up, I know the way. Done it enough times...

dargonhuman
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Previous