Tar, whoops, Oil Sands Expansion Approved

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Tar, whoops, Oil Sands Expansion Approved

Postby blehblah » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:56 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e15813249/

The first paragraph sums it up nicely,

The Globe and Mail wrote:The federal Conservative government has approved plans to expand an oil sands mining project, despite the environment minister saying the effort is likely to cause significant “adverse environmental effects.”

The environmental impact of the oils sands is massive - almost beyond comprehension until you've flown over the place in a helicopter. Or the next best thing, Google Maps. Yes, that's the equivalent of a European country. I'm sure that there are plenty of shocking finds on Maps if a little of teh gogling is done.

Anyhow, I'm of the mind that we should be extracting it, but increasing the already dizzying scale is foolish. I can't help but to think that Canada is falling over itself in a rush to sell this resource for pennies on the dollar. Call me crazy, but I can't see the companies involved doing much in the way of clean-up when the oil is gone. It'll be bankruptcy of a bunch of subsidiary companies, and a "so long, and thanks for all the oil, bitches". In the meantime, we're awfully good at shipping raw materials for others to refine, turn into myriad products, and buy them back. Sure, that does export a good chunk of pollution to keep the costs of the consumer crap that we don't really need low, but it doesn't strike me as entirely sound economic policy (from the dollars perspective) or ethical (from the perspective of the poor bastards in places like China making our consumer doo-dads for pennies a day).

Heck, from the story, our very trusting government is politely asking the oil companies to do much of the testing. Please, please, giant oil company, be good, okay? We're sure glad that we can trust you and avoid the hassle of requiring that you give us money to do the tests and own the results, because pffft, who needs more government oversite, amiright?

The biggest tell here is that it was announced Friday evening. I can only wonder if they also tried to time it against a new Senate or Ford development (two other never-ending scandals up here in the Great White).

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Re: Tar, whoops, Oil Sands Expansion Approved

Postby w00 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:14 am

Yay, we're an official Petro-state, resplendent in our election fraud and all the other goodies that go with that title.

Ironic thing is, like a lot of industrial pollution, the Natives of the far north get nearly zero benefit and lots of the pollution. Can't drink water in some cases, told not to eat the fish due to bio-accumulation of the toxins, etc.

But again, yay for our Great Leader - making accommodations for those glorious foreign-owned oil companies and protecting us from those foreign-funded environmental terrorists like, er, Greanpeace.

Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, while others merely gargle.
--
There are 4 boxes to use in the defence of liberty:
1) soap, 2) ballot, 3) jury, 4) ammo.
Use in that order.
w00
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Wrote the Turing test