Iran Deal

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Iran Deal

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:17 pm

For those not in the know, a kind of interim deal has been reached with Iran: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/23/world/meast/iran-nuclear-talks-geneva/

Of course, I like to think of this as a good thing, as it at least starts us down a diplomatic approach to solving any nuclear weapons-building Iran is trying to get into. Seeing as this is like..the first time we've engaged Iran in serious diplomacy in over thirty years, this seems like a pretty good success.

Also, of course, there have been detractors.

The main one seems to be Netanyahu, who has gradually made me feel more unsympathetic towards Israel with each word that comes out of his mouth. He's talking about possibly striking out at Iran anyways. It's an action which would either drag us into a war with Iran or (as I would prefer) kinda cancelling out our alliance with them, hopefully evacuating as many people as possible out of Israel before we leave.

I understand the concerns about Iran with nuclear capabilities, but it seems like everyone is just throwing up their hands and going: "Well, I can't think of another way out of this other than bombing them into dust". The whole point of diplomacy is to find solutions to these kinds of situations, and it seems like everyone's just not willing to let that play out.

If Iran starts getting hostile, we can deal with it later; we don't have to take military action right this second. It's not like we don't have the ability to roll in there. First, we should probably see if maybe they'll calm it down on the nuclear front before declaring it a lost cause.

#EDIT# To boil this down to an analogy, imagine a barfight about to happen. Two dudes, one of whom is your friend, start getting in an argument. You step between them, manage to calm things down a bit, then your buddy goes "fuck that" and punches the other guy in the face. Would you support him?

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Iran Deal

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:40 pm

I have no idea how Israel could possibly benefit from a conflict in which the chances of them being A-bombed are quite real.

Come on, Israel isn't even close enough of Iran borders to try to grab some pieces of land as did to it's neighbors in the last wars.

I can't call this guy's reactions anything else but warmongering. He just wanna see the blood rolling. I wonder if he would feel so confident if Israel didn't had US backing them up. A strong military machine? Undoubtedly. But even diamonds can be broken.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: Iran Deal

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 am

There already exists a thread about this. Perhaps the two should be merged?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality