Florida Cops Threaten Rape Victim

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Florida Cops Threaten Rape Victim

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Florida Cops Threaten Rape Victim

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:36 am

Tell me a single crime you can't get away from being famous and/or important.

Rape is far from being an exception. Sadly. Our world is fucked up.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:38 am

I suspect Eric's point, while not at all disagreeing with yours, is to ask why some teenage kid who can kick a ball a relatively long way should be "famous".

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:40 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I suspect Eric's point, while not at all disagreeing with yours, is to ask why some teenage kid who can kick a ball a relatively long way should be "famous".

It's because people like sports, but that makes even less sense. Some weird artifact of human psychology I don't understand must explain why people care about sports teams. To me it's like cheering for the outcome of a coin flip. Why should anyone care?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:29 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I suspect Eric's point, while not at all disagreeing with yours, is to ask why some teenage kid who can kick a ball a relatively long way should be "famous".

You would be surprised.

aviel wrote:It's because people like sports, but that makes even less sense. Some weird artifact of human psychology I don't understand must explain why people care about sports teams. To me it's like cheering for the outcome of a coin flip. Why should anyone care?

Do you know the need human groups have to feel superior over other groups? Pretty much it.

Yep, even a goddamn college team counts. We are THAT stupid. That's why Jesus didn't came back yet, and we can't have none of that awesome scifi stuff. Just old boring nuclear weapons and consequential radiation poisoning.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 am

My issue here is that someone wasn't doing their job. His attorney should not have had preferential treatment over the state attorney. I get what they were saying to her, yeah, she is going to be raked over coals because that's how we treat our damn rape victims BUT that's not helping matters.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Look, sunglasses... frankly... I doubt they threat (hah... no, wasn't funny) all rape victims like that there. I think it was because the guy was held in high regard by the community.

If he had spanked, assaulted, mugged or anything at all... against both a man and a woman... the output would be exactly the same.

We could also put it as corruption (inertia from the authorities) "beyond the acceptable" (which should be none at all), therefore, they would treat every possible occurrence as if somebody showed them a Yeti photo, just to avoid leaving the table. But even this would require some investigation to be sure (because even the most efficient police station have orders from senior and politicians to "take it easy" on both rich and important people).

A good example of totally ineffective police force happened in São Paulo, when a woman said her son was being stalked by a pedophile in the internet (who happened to be his school teacher), asking for photos (the nude kind). Attendants of two separate stations said it wasn't crime (SPOILER: it is), and refused to take any action. Only the third reacted.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:00 pm

NotCIAAgent wrote:
aviel wrote:

It's because people like sports, but that makes even less sense. Some weird artifact of human psychology I don't understand must explain why people care about sports teams. To me it's like cheering for the outcome of a coin flip. Why should anyone care?

Do you know the need human groups have to feel superior over other groups? Pretty much it.

Yep, even a goddamn college team counts. We are THAT stupid. That's why Jesus didn't came back yet, and we can't have none of that awesome scifi stuff. Just old boring nuclear weapons and consequential radiation poisoning.

Reminds me of the words of my high school's coach after my classmates constantly asked him for permission to play soccer:

"Playing it will surely be very entertaining for you because you'll be playing it, but for us watching it? Twenty two men chasing a ball. A freaking ball! It doesn't make sense!"

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:29 pm

It haves its moments, specially European soccer. Very tactical, it's entertaining to watch. But I can't stand to anything made on this side of the Atlantic. Specially Brazilian soccer.

Our soccer looks more like football, the guy alone trying to run the ball through the entire field and enter the goal with it. Except at every physical contact will roll at the floor, showing as much pain as possible, in hope to get a fault and advantage. Truly depressing.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:What the hell is so godlike about high school/college athletes, anyways?

Well it kinda depends on which gods you're comparing them to. The Greek gods were quite a rape-y bunch after all-

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... neOnMortal

aviel wrote:It's because people like sports, but that makes even less sense. Some weird artifact of human psychology I don't understand must explain why people care about sports teams. To me it's like cheering for the outcome of a coin flip. Why should anyone care?

He he, I'm sorry, I know this is neither here nor there but I kinda get a kick out this, in a "I don't find it interesting therefore it ISN'T interesting and anyone who thinks it is must have something wrong with them!" sorta way.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't understand sports either, never did. Even as a kid I was like "Wait, you all wanna go out onto a pitch and run around like maniacs kicking a piece of leather around? ....But .... there's a television right over there...... what's the confusion here?" Or the equally perplexing to me "Wait .... you still support that team? But .... they lost their last match right? Why do you still support them/ Shouldn't you immediately switch your allegiance to whichever team is now winning? .....Whataya mean that's a terrible attitude to have, I'M BEING MORE LOGICAL THAN YOU DAMNIT!"

But hey, to each their own as Sergeant Bertrand said.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby JamesT » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:37 pm

aviel wrote:

Hey man don't badmouth the coin flipping league. We take that shit seriously where I come from. Badmouthing the local flipping team can get you pummeled and don't you even think about wearing the other team's colors on a game day.

Go Flippers! (our mascot is a dolphin)

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:

He he, I'm sorry, I know this is neither here nor there but I kinda get a kick out this, in a "I don't find it interesting therefore it ISN'T interesting and anyone who thinks it is must have something wrong with them!" sorta way.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't understand sports either, never did. Even as a kid I was like "Wait, you all wanna go out onto a pitch and run around like maniacs kicking a piece of leather around? ....But .... there's a television right over there...... what's the confusion here?" Or the equally perplexing to me "Wait .... you still support that team? But .... they lost their last match right? Why do you still support them/ Shouldn't you immediately switch your allegiance to whichever team is now winning? .....Whataya mean that's a terrible attitude to have, I'M BEING MORE LOGICAL THAN YOU DAMNIT!"

But hey, to each their own as Sergeant Bertrand said.

Amen to that, Doc.

Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Pretty sure sports is a tribal thing, aviel - "us" versus "them". It's pretty deeply ingrained in the human psyche. In fact, by setting yourself so firmly apart from sports fans, aren't you doing something not too dissimilar yourself?

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:35 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:In fact, by setting yourself so firmly apart from sports fans, aren't you doing something not too dissimilar yourself?

I just see good ol' Aviel being Aviel.

From Russia with Love

Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep

Postby moosemaimer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:25 pm

YANKEES SUCK GO SOX

sorry, I don't know what happened there... might have been some kind of seizure.

Freelance hobo
moosemaimer
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Next