An update on the state of forced colonoscopies in America

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: An update on the state of forced colonoscopies in Americ

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 pm

As to the sequence of events, yeah, it seems that police department had a grudge with him for 'being rude' during a stop in September. What they considered rude was his asking if he was free to go (his house was within sight and he had groceries in the car). They had confiscated his car for drugs at that time, and once again, he was found to be clean of drugs. It really just seems that the police department is acting like bullies.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 pm

sunglasses wrote: It really just seems that the police department is acting like bullies.

whaaaa-that's impossible!

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:
52xMax wrote:Just a quick question not meant to be incendiary at all: how is this not considered rape?

To many people, it is. I don't personally consider this an act of outright rape, due to the assailant's lack of sexual intent. I think if the assailant isn't "getting off" on the act and it's not being done just to do that to him, then it's assault rather than rape, but that's just my personal opinion.

Rape isn't just about sex; it's mostly about power and control. If I performed these same acts as a private citizen, I'd for damn sure be up on rape charges. If the cops do it, it should still be called rape.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm

LaoWai wrote:Rape isn't just about sex; it's mostly about power and control. If I performed these same acts as a private citizen, I'd for damn sure be up on rape charges. If the cops do it, it should still be called rape.

After having read the specific details of this story, I'm inclined to agree. I apologize for speaking in ignorance - I had (quite mistakenly) assumed the situation to be more... sane and professional than it was.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:39 pm

I wonder if once it had got to a certain stage someone *did* realise they were being insane and felt like they had to carry on in the wild hope that they might fund some drugs and therefore be able to "justify" their actions? Not that it would, of course.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:45 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I wonder if once it had got to a certain stage someone *did* realise they were being insane and felt like they had to carry on in the wild hope that they might fund some drugs and therefore be able to "justify" their actions? Not that it would, of course.

I understand what you're wondering! What utterly fucking baffles me is not that an asshole cop would climb so far up the Crazy Tree, but rather this: "Initially the doctor on duty refused the search, citing it as 'unethical.' Unfortunately, after several hours, hospital personnel relented and did the search." Any doctor that laid hands on Mr. Eckert in this situation did so in gross violation of the Hippocratic Oath.

Unfortunately, had they managed to find any drugs, we wouldn't even be discussing this issue. Instead, the assailants would have been praised for their "perseverance" in catching one of those subhuman druggies before it corrupted our precious children! For this, I have to blame the whole of society for tolerating and supporting the "War on Drugs" to such an extent. Allowing your fellow citizens (even the guilty ones) to be abused, stigmatized, and violated over the idea that somebody somewhere might be getting high leads PRECISELY to this happy horseshit right here!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Perhaps the people involved were just really, really into klismaphilia.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 pm

I shouldn't google that, should I?

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 pm

All of them? As resident expert on perverts and their perversions, I'd calculate only a slight likelihood that even one person involved was enjoying the experience on a sexual level - astronomically unlikely that they were all just getting their jollies.

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I shouldn't google that, should I?

You're sharp enough to figure this one out on your own - it's what you'd think in this context.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:02 pm

We don't allow...erm...fluid play in our submissions, so I've managed to escape reading about that one, thankfully!

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Believe it or not, this story gets worse.

52xMax wrote:Just a quick question not meant to be incendiary at all: how is this not considered rape?

If this happened to a woman instead of a man, it would be a much bigger deal in the media, and they would definitely describe it as rape. It meets the definition of rape in many states, and the other states should have their definition of rape changed.

However, personally I'm a little wary of describing medical procedures as rape. A few years ago there was a big media outcry about some state requiring abortion patients to get a transvaginal ultrasound. Because a transvaginal ultrasound require sticking something in the vagina, it was described as state enforced rape. I don't think it's right for the state to force people to get this procedure when they don't need it, but I feel bad for everybody who actually does need the procedure, and every doctor who has to suggest it. From now on it's always going to be associated with rape. That's an entirely different issue though.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Well the issue with transvaginal ultrasounds was that it was obligatory in order to obtain an abortion, i.e. coerced - penetration without consent. That's why that (and this) has been likened to rape. If it's a procedure the patient consents to, fine and dandy, as with sex.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I don't know a lot about how abortions work, but people who get abortions are consenting to have something put in their vagina anyway, right? I don't know if it still counts as something done without consent if the patient consents to an abortion. Either way the law is wrong.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm under the impression that it depends on the stage of pregnancy - in the early stages chemical abortion is possible - but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, I remember watching a documentary about drug/bomb sniffing dogs. There are big problems with false positives, in part because the dogs want to please their trainers, and their trainers are pleased when they detect something suspicious. There's also the issue of them taking subconscious cues from their trainers.

The clenched buttocks thing is bizarre too. Do people tend to hide drugs in their rectums when shopping in Walmart? I could understand the reasoning in, say, a prison or an airport, but surely it's a drug smuggling technique, not an everyday storage option.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Tesseracts wrote:However, personally I'm a little wary of describing medical procedures as rape.

I totally share your wariness in this regard, Tess! However, the more I think about this story, the less it sounds like a "medical procedure" and the more it seems as if the local cops shanghaied hospital resources to abuse and violate a man who (for whatever reason) pissed them off. Doing stuff to a person's butt (or any part of their body, really) for this reason is quite the definition of rape, I would say. God only knows what kind of persuasive tactics were used in the "several hours" it took to change the staff's mind!

My prediction: Mr. Eckert will be bought off with a large settlement of taxpayer money and a few key players might get put on paid administrative leave while they attend "sensitivity training," but nobody will be going to jail or vaporizing their career because nobody's responsible, you see. The hospital staff will claim they were reluctantly cooperating with law enforcement - fighting crime and whatnot - while the cops can point to the hospital staff as the official culprits of all the "icky and objectionable" stuff.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext