Three mass shootings in eight days

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Three mass shootings in eight days

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Last weekend, a 19-year old man shot into a crowd at a garlic festival in Gilroy, California. He killed three people, two of them children, and wounded 13 others before apparently shooting himself upon being confronted by police. His motives are still unknown.

Yesterday, another man opened fire in a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, killing 20 and wounding 26 before surrendering to the police. The gunman allegedly posted a manifesto filled with white supremacist and anti-immigrant rhetoric hours before the shooting, which is now among the deadliest mass shootings in America. This being a white nationalist terrorist attack, right-wing media outlets and politicians had such predictable responses that I don't even need to bother linking them, you've heard it all before: Antifa, mental illness, etc.

Less than 24 hours later, another man in body armor opened fire in a district of bars and restaurants in Dayton, Ohio, killing 9 and injuring 27 before being killed by police. Updates on the incident are still forthcoming, but among the victims were the gunman's 22-year old sister and her boyfriend.

I'm so, so fucking tired.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Three mass shootings in eight days

Postby Windy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:40 pm

Are these shooters produced in a factory somewhere?

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:00 am

Apparently, six of the victims were Mexican tourists. The killer could face extradition to Mexico. Ain't that an amusing fate for him? Rotting in prison surrounded by the people he so despises?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby tinyrick » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Apparently, six of the victims were Mexican tourists. The killer could face extradition to Mexico. Ain't that an amusing fate for him? Rotting in prison surrounded by the people he so despises?

Considering the demographics of the US prison population, that was bound to happen regardless of being extradited to Mexico.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm

There was just a fourth mass shooting at a mosque in Norway. Casualties are so far uncountable, mainly because there were none--a 65-year-old man by the name of Mohammad Rafiq laid the shooter the fuck out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europ ... ing-gunman

Pictured: The man of the hour

Pictured: laid the FUCK out

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:23 am

And yet he did it without a gun. So we can't recognize it. 'Cause it would ruin our narrative that guns save lives.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm

FYI Mass shootings aren't really uncommon, there's probably at least one every week somewhere in the country. It's indiscriminate rampage and spree shootings that you actually care about.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Windy wrote:FYI Mass shootings aren't really uncommon, there's probably at least one every week somewhere in the country. It's indiscriminate rampage and spree shootings that you actually care about.

I mean, in fairness, I'm not sure if the government decided a mass shooting was any multiple homicide via firearm before or after the term entered common usage, but at this point, the spree shooting usage is so clearly dominant that you'd think the feds could use another term.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 am

Windy wrote:FYI Mass shootings aren't really uncommon, there's probably at least one every week somewhere in the country. It's indiscriminate rampage and spree shootings that you actually care about.

We're averaging more than one a day in 2019, if you include non-fatal injuries as victims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:49 am

Aaannd we have another one, in Philadelphia. This one was apparently livestreamed by the shooter. Also, the shooter targeting cops, hitting six, but apparently killing none of them.

I recently saw some social media post asking why mass shooters don't target cops (someone shared it, probably on Discord?) which I'm sure has since been taken down. I sincerely hope it didn't inspire this shooting.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 am

cmsellers wrote:I recently saw some social media post asking why mass shooters don't target cops (someone shared it, probably on Discord?) which I'm sure has since been taken down. I sincerely hope it didn't inspire this shooting.

I believe the police were there to arrest the guy for drug charges. I don't think that "You'll never take me alive!" shootouts are part of the popular conception of mass shootings, either.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep