IT'S HAPPENING--The Mueller Report Drops

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: IT'S HAPPENING--The Mueller Report Drops

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:45 am

I think "we never said collusion" is the dumbest fucking pivot yet.

And this is a story that also had "BARR LIED BECAUSE WHAT WE SAID ABOUT WHAT HE SAID WASN'T TRUE" and "I don't think surveillance is spying."

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am

Absentia wrote:d) Also basically impossible to prove liability on obstruction because it's an unprecedented situation and subject to interpretation regarding intent.

So here's a searchable version of the report.

And here's a rather unflattering passage on obstruction. The bold text at the bottom (emphasis mine) is one of the oft-cited portions of the report's findings.

Our investigation found multiple acts by the President that were capable of exerting undue influence over law enforcement investigations, including the Russian-interference and obstruction investigations. The incidents were often carried out through one-on-one meetings in which the President sought to use his official power outside of usual channels. These actions ranged from efforts to remove the Special Counsel and to reverse the effect of the Attorney General’s recusal; to the attempted use of official power to limit the scope of the investigation; to direct and indirect contacts with witnesses with the potential to influence their testimony. Viewing the acts collectively can help to illuminate their significance. For example, the President’s direction to McGahn to have the Special Counsel removed was followed almost immediately by his direction to Lewandowski to tell the Attorney General to limit the scope of the Russia investigation to prospective election-interference only—a temporal connection that suggests that both acts were taken with a related purpose with respect to the investigation.

The President's efforts to influence the investigation were mostly unsuccessful, but that is largely because the persons who surrounded the President declined to carry out orders or accede to his requests.

In short, he attempted to unduly limit the scope of the investigation, possibly tampered with witnesses, fired or tried to fire different officials, and tried to get Sessions to un-recuse himself -- presumably in order to exert improper influence on the investigation. It also seems that one of the things that may save Trump on the obstruction issue if it hasn't already is that people refused to blatantly obstruct justice when he told them to. But Trump wanting to impede an investigation and lying like a counterfeit rug throughout probably won't bother people who weren't already bothered when he repeatedly tried to undermine the Mueller probe in plain sight.

Obviously, there is disagreement on whether a president can even be found liable for obstruction from a constitutional standpoint. Here's what Mueller had to say on the matter:

As for the constitutional arguments, we recognized that the Department of Justice and the courts have not definitively resolved these constitutional issues. We therefore analyzed the President’s position through the framework of Supreme Court precedent addressing the separation of powers. Under that framework, we concluded, Article II of the Constitution does not categorically and permanently immunize the President from potential liability for the conduct that we investigated. Rather, our analysis led us to conclude that the obstruction-of-justice statutes can validly prohibit a President’s corrupt efforts to use his official powers to curtail, end, or interfere with an investigation.

As for the collusion issue, it technically wasn't the standard used in the report, not that it matters to people politically. The potential offense investigated by Mueller was conspiracy.

In evaluating whether evidence about collective action of multiple individuals constituted a crime, we applied the framework of conspiracy law, not the concept of “collusion.” In so doing, the Office recognized that the word “collud[e]” was used in communications with the Acting Attorney General confirming certain aspects of the investigation’s scope and that the term has frequently been invoked in public reporting about the investigation. But collusion is not a specific offense or theory of liability found in the United States Code, nor is it a term of art in federal criminal law. For those reasons, the Office’s focus in analyzing questions of joint criminal liability was on conspiracy as defined in federal law.

Obviously the result is that Trump and his campaign are cleared legally on this issue. Here's the specific description in the Mueller report that was partly quoted by Barr.

Although the investigation established that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome, and that the Campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts, the investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.

There were definitely meetings between Russian officials and Trump campaign officials; for example, Manafort shared polling data with Kilimnik. And I find it unsettling that the Russian IRA actually set up pro-Trump rallies (I add "Russian" because every time I read the acronym IRA I immediately think of the Troubles, which weirdly amuses me). People will point to these things and others in the report that I think could legitimately be seen as troubling. But ultimately it probably won't matter to ardent Trump supporters who will likely dismiss these concerns as liberal tears or goal post-shifting or some other thing that ignores the damage this kind of dynamic actually does to the credibility of U.S. elections and high offices.

I think Comey made a great, if obvious, point a little while back when when he asked people to imagine what the reaction would be if Obama had a similar dynamic with Iran.

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Also let's have a little fun with hooooooooooooooooooooooow much goal post moving is involved in the idea that media got this right and the mueller report vindicates them

(Most of my notes are about how embarassing the wikileaks and Donald Jr stuff is for the morons who ate that shit up, so I'm just gonna steal Glenn Greenwald's for this)

Here's a bonus for all you people out there who literally believe in russian bots:
To reach larger U.S. audiences, the IRA purchased advertisements from Facebook that promoted the IRA groups on the newsfeeds of U.S. audience members. According to Facebook, the IRA purchased over 3,500 advertisements, and the expenditures totaled approximately $100,000.

Trump supporters have known this for approximately two years now, and every time this is brought up, people just punted it to the mueller report. Well here it is, the Redhat talking point about facebook memes. It's substantially correct. No one's eveeeeeeeeeeeer going to admit that one, because it's so embarassing.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:58 pm

And here's my own snips, mostly about wikileaks:

Wikileaks had no awareness they were dealing with Russia.

Wikileaks did not think Trump had a real chance of winning anything and wanted to prevent Berniebots from giving up and joining Hillary.

Trump Jr had absolutely no idea about the leaks and all his coordination with them was literally from the angle of a twitter follower wondering what the hell was happening.

The Trump Tower meeting was literally about adoptions, specifically the Magnitsky Act. There was supposed to be incriminating evidence about Hillary, but there wasn't, and everyone on Trump's team immediately disengaged after finding this out.

Trump Jr did not lie about this, he was worried it would be mischaracterized so he downplayed it, they did not believe there was any dirt to be had from that particular angle.

Specifically, "When it leaks, they're going to say I'm lying if I don't put something there"

There was literally nothing to the Kislyak situation

The point of the emails has always been the far more obvious reason, it would tank Hillary if it came out she had let them reach Iran, China or Russia:
There's not even a smidgen of coordination in the idea that the emails were already out there so let's prove it. That's opposition research.

Trump Tower Moscow was about branding, not political or financial gain.

Kliminik is a dead end.

As for obstruction, there's pretty much nothing there. He tried to obstruct, which would be important if the media narrative about collusion was true. But just like people do not give an absolute shit that Clinton perjured himself, there is almost no staying power in the idea that obstructing an investigation that showed you were innocent should put you in jail. The obstruction was mostly Trump trying not to get himself caught up in Obstruction by making other people obstruct for him, with a lot of comedy situations, one of which involved Trump's staffers worrying that they'd let Jeff Sessions' resignation into his hands and this would look bad and how did they let this happen. (He gave it back)

Trump's motivations are also pretty clear in the report, he'd been told that these witch hunts would tie up his presidency and not allow him to do anything. He said nothing about guilt in the "Bombshell" I'm fucked moment.

It's pretty clear from his statements that he wanted Sessions to work more like Holder and Lynch and act to protect the presidency, ethics be damned. Meaning that the big bombshell cames from Jeff Sessions, maligned for three years now as a Trump Toady, being less of a toady than Brennan, Clapper, Lynch or Holder.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:30 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Also let's have a little fun with hooooooooooooooooooooooow much goal post moving is involved in the idea that media got this right and the mueller report vindicates them

This depends on which media you're talking about. The Maddow-type pundits who were convinced that Trump was taking orders from Putin were wrong. The folks who were convinced this was all fabricated out of thin air by the Deep State were also wrong.

The factual reporting of events like the Trump Tower meeting was pretty accurate; Don Jr. did take a meeting with Russian agents, and Mueller essentially concluded that he was too clueless to realize the implications. Trump's campaign was soliciting WikiLeaks for info that they did get from Russia. Manafort was discussing Ukrainian "peace plans" with Konstantin Kilimnik while he was Trump's campaign chair. And so on, and so on. The only new thing we learned about all of that yesterday is that there was apparently no grand underlying conspiracy to tie it all together. Which is good news! Doesn't mean it wasn't worth looking into, or that it's cool for presidential candidates to flirt with hostile foreign powers as long they don't let them score.

The moral of this story is "don't get your news from hack pundits like Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity (or Glenn Greenwald)."

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Absentia wrote:The factual reporting of events like the Trump Tower meeting was pretty accurate; Don Jr. did take a meeting with Russian agents, and Mueller essentially concluded that he was too clueless to realize the implications.

Theee implications offffffffffffff Hillary Dirt that did not exist and that the Trump team did not believe existed for more than half the meeting? That's clutching at straws, it was much more straightforward than that, they were looking for dirt, not creating it. This is opposition research. This is substantially also what Steele is said to be doing.

Absentia wrote:Trump's campaign was soliciting WikiLeaks for info that they did get from Russia

This isn't what they reported. What they reported was that Mueller was treating wikileaks as a Russian State Agent because of the FBI and CIA people that they hire to come on their shows and bullshit constantly saying wikileaks was a Russian State Agent. Mueller was not treating wikileaks as a Russian State Agent. He was treating them as a publisher.

Absentia wrote:Manafort was discussing Ukrainian "peace plans" with Konstantin Kilimnik while he was Trump's campaign chair

That's still not what they reported. What they reported was that Manafort, with Trump's involvement, was trying to provide campaign polling data to Russians to help in their election interference efforts and therefore Manafort would be indicted for election interference. What Mueller found was that nothing happened except Manafort, as he had always been, was acting in the interests of Ukraine, something we knew for years except for all the conspiracy theories about how this meant they were giving him a cushy prosecutorial arrangement to escape the election interference charges because someone higher up would be. This is substantially wrong in every way.

Absentia wrote:The only new thing we learned about all of that yesterday is that there was apparently no grand underlying conspiracy to tie it all together

Speak for yourself, anyone with a brain knew this the second time someone got caught up in an obvious perjury trap.

Absentia wrote:"don't get your news from hack pundits like Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity (or Glenn Greenwald)."

Two of these people were substantially correct about this. Substantially.

Let's not both sides this. Fox News was literally more correct, more of the time than any other newspaper here. The Intercept was literally more correct, more of the time, than any other newspaper here.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:08 pm

I don't have the time or the patience to go sentence by sentence with somebody who admits that their mind was made up before they read the report. Go ahead and keep dunking on your strawmen.

I like this summary from LawFare:

This report shows that the Trump campaign was reasonably aware of the Russian efforts, at least on the hacking side. They were aware the Russians sought to help them win. They welcomed that assistance. Instead of warning the American public, they instead devised a public relations and campaign strategy that sought to capitalize on Russia’s illicit assistance. In other words, the Russians and the Trump campaign shared a common goal, and each side worked to achieve that goal with basic knowledge of the other side’s intention. They just didn’t agree to work together toward that goal.

If you want to call that "opposition research" instead of "collusion", I don't really care. Whatever it is isn't good.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:11 pm

So what you're saying is that the Hillary campaign was colluding with Russia because Steele sourced his info from Russian officials. Or is it opposition research.

Let's see a single difference between what Steele did and what happened at the Trump Tower meeting.

And the audacity of saying my mind is made up and then saying "Well what Trump did isn't good". If my mind was made up I wouldn't have read the report and scrapbooked it. One of us is getting all his info from the report and it ain't you.

The bar you're supposed to be clearing is that what Trump did was massively, obviously treasonous. Not even impeachable, but literally espionage. It's fucking easy to be on the right side of that bar and most of you weren't for some reason. Have the self-awareness to figure out why. And try not to drag the people who were correct into it. It's not Sean Hannity's fault you were wrong.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:37 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:So what you're saying is that the Hillary campaign was colluding with Russia because Steele sourced his info from Russian officials. Or is it opposition research.

Let's see a single difference between what Steele did and what happened at the Trump Tower meeting.

Okay: Steele is British, and they don't have an interest in undermining our government. That was easy.

The bar you're supposed to be clearing is that what Trump did was massively, obviously treasonous. Not even impeachable, but literally espionage. It's fucking easy to be on the right side of that bar and most of you weren't for some reason. Have the self-awareness to figure out why. And try not to drag the people who were correct into it. It's not Sean Hannity's fault you were wrong.

You must have gotten a great deal on all that straw. I have no idea who you're arguing with, but it's not me.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:39 pm

TIL Trump Jr and Jared Kushner, americans, have an interest in undermining the US government and Steele, a brit, doesn't. Or do you not understand who was sourcing info from who? Do... do you think the Russians were sourcing info on Hillary from the Trump Campaign in the Trump Tower meeting?

So let's go again, properly this time. What difference is there between the Steele Dossier, which was acted upon, and the Trump Tower meeting, which wasn't, that makes The Trump Campaign the worse actors.

Absentia wrote:You must have gotten a great deal on all that straw. I have no idea who you're arguing with, but it's not me.

Hey look at that, you've already admitted the media was wrong about this without having to say the words, good job!

Why do you think your personal bar matters when you're not the one on trial here. Your contention is that the media wasn't wrong. It was. I pointed out the bar for the media to have been correct, you said that was a strawman. Let's get some honesty here, I know it's going to be in the form of OMG I DON'T CARE LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW BAD TRUMP IS. But try to actually say the words "The Trump Campaign did not collude with Russia in any of the ways reported by a plurality of sources." Try to say them without saying other things to downplay what you're saying. Don't be Trump Jr's statement on the Trump Tower meeting. Be truthful.

Last edited by A Combustible Lemon on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:45 pm

I'm sorry, you started with a "But Hillary" and then pivoted to "But Christopher Steele" so quickly I missed it.

Yes, Steele got his information from Russians. The difference is that Steele's informants weren't acting under a directive from the Kremlin to undermine "everyone except Trump and Sanders".

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:49 pm

I did? Ohhhhhh you still think the idiotic talking point about the Steele Report being republican is true, don't you?

The Steele Report came from the Hillary Campaign. That's not a pivot. They're both the same side. Hillary = Trump. Kushner/Jr = Steele. Dirt on real estate = pee tape.

One of these was used to start a political witchhunt. One of these was immediately discarded and all contact broken. Both of these are Russian sources. Both of these are opposition research.

Last edited by A Combustible Lemon on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Christopher Steele. Michael Steele is the former chairman of the RNC (and not British).

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:57 pm

I'm confused why we're promoting Sean Hannity as a careful journalist now who was consistently right about this investigation. Hannity, the main proponent of the Seth Rich conspiracy theory and the "Deep State coup" theory.

Greenwald did better. He's got a pretty clear blind spot with respect to Russia--he used to laugh off the idea that they were the ones who hacked the DNC, another stance that hasn't aged well. But he surpassed the bar set by MSNBC and Fox & Friends...while undershooting the bar set by actual news sources whose reporting was largely confirmed, or by opinion outlets (especially conservative ones like NR) that managed to make the same points he did without chewing the furniture.

Funnily enough, Greenwald reminds me a lot of a story John McWhorter tells about the reaction to his book Losing the Race, which discussed ways that black American culture encourages self-sabotage. The reaction as he describes it was...mixed, with a lot of public condemnation but a lot of private appreciation. During a talk he gave at a local bookstore about the book, one older black man stood up and said to him "man, black folks aren't mad at you because they think you're wrong; they're mad because you're saying it where white people can hear you."

Greenwald likewise doesn't seem to notice that plenty of folks on the left are irked with him who themselves withheld judgment on Russia collusion and criticized the breathless coverage of it. His biggest problem right now isn't that he was wrong or, for that matter, that he was right--it's firstly that he's calling out conspiratorial thinking in a very one-sided way, and secondly that he's doing it on Tucker Carlson's show.

Or maybe he does realize this and it's all just kayfabe; I can never tell these days.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Greenwald's problem has always been he's too left for his own good. You can see it in all his stances that any time there's a big guy and a little guy, no matter how much the little guy did wrong, he helps that side. But he's never untruthful, just sensationalist. He has all the anti-semetic hottakes that come from ignoring the Israeli interests in the Israeli-Palestine situation. He has all the human rights-ignoring hottakes that come from ignoring the dictatorial elements of Maduro's regime. He has all the Law and Order and Fascists-can-be-victims-too ignoring hottakes that come from ignoring the violence in Brazil (the man tweets out "BOLSONARO, A FASCIST, WAS STABBED TODAY" the day he was stabbed. There's no way to not read that as an endorsement).

But it doesn't really matter when we're talking about the fact that everyone on the MSM lied about what's in the report, lied about the indictments it would produce, lied about the counterintelligence implications of the report. Cohen, on a day everyone was creaming themselves because he was jerking them off by confirming literally every single salacious detail that came out in the press, said he'd never been to Prague. This was completely ignored by everyone except the left. This is a massive problem and the only correct response is to call them liars instead of making excuses for them.

On Hannity, I did change it to Fox and the Intercept. Hannity is a conspiracy theorist and far too Trump-friendly. But saying Seth Rich might've been a leaker when wikileaks the organization famous for leaking, was diverting attention to Seth Rich (which is the worst thing in the report regarding them) is nowhere close to the idea that Russians were in control of Vermont's Energy Grid or that they had compromising information on Trump or that Trump Tower Moscow was quid pro quo.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext