New Zealand's Christchurch mosque shooting

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

New Zealand's Christchurch mosque shooting

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm

A series of white supremacist terrorist attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand has resulted in at least 49 deaths.

The culprit (at least the one everyone's talking about so far -- there have apparently been multiple arrests), who livestreamed one of the attacks over Facebook, traveled from his home in Australia to massacre Christchurch's Muslim worshippers. He is a self-avowed white nationalist and fascist who posted a manifesto online prior to the attack, in which he -- among many other things -- states an intent to stir second amendment controversy in the U.S. with his use of guns, and calls out Dylan Roof and Donald Trump as some of his inspirations (in the latter case, it ought not to be overlooked that this happened shortly after Trump openly called for violence against his political enemies in an interview with fucking Breitbart).

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: New Zealand's Christchurch mosque shooting

Postby Absentia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Before anyone reads too much into his "manifesto," it's worth noting that this guy identifies with troll culture and it's hard to tell whether any particular passage is something he really believes or a troll. Some parts are openly sarcastic. I wouldn't take it as a true and complete account of his derangement.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 pm

People tend to blame this sort of rise in identitarian movements on various elements of society at large; everything from late-stage managerial capitalism, to lack of a real geopolitical foe after the cold war, a lack of education and opportunity, among others. I don't think it's really due to any societal influence (though it still is certainly present in some aspects) so much as a reaction to society at large. A lot of identitarian subcultures seem to resent society for requiring any sort of effort at all to exist in it. You see all sorts of these people make some level of success only to resent that they ever had to be more than , say, a White guy. Notch? Steve King? Papa John? Chuck Woolery? Despite their influence in society, it's as if that at the end of the day, all they ever wanted to be was a White guy.You see this with the manosphere a lot. A bunch of idiots took Hollywood and harem animes at their word, and just....sat on their hands waiting for such a scenario to come about. They see women as trophies or something. And they resent women for not treating them like some harem anime protagonist without them ever having to make an effort to ever really connect with another human being. They reject the concept of empathy, they reject having to care or take things seriously, they reject effort, and they reject personal growth. It's like they'd rather be a sea sponge than a human being. They're basically Sloth from FMA.
This assholes goes and shoots up a mosque and gives shout outs to right wing meme culture and right wing provocatuers. Provocateurism on the right is basically a tactic to frame the left as emotional and irrational, see Ben Shapiro's mantra and Milo's old tactic of shouting slurs and then mocking his target for reacting to them.In reality, the people who buy into this provocatuerist culture and mindset get pretty emotional about other people having emotions. Because deep down, they're insecure about their own volatile emotions.And with right meme culture, you get a bunch of idiots scapegoating every other group, trying to out edgelord each other, and signaling each other, so someone finally takes it at face value.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby gisambards » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Far-right extremism at this level goes a lot deeper than guys complaining how hard it is to be white on the internet, and has been around for a very long time. From the bits of this guy's manifesto that don't seem like trolling attempts, his beliefs seem to be much more rooted in the sort of extreme anti-immigration beliefs that are taking hold in Europe right now and a genuine hatred of Islamic culture, not just a resentment of political correctness, and I don't see any connection to incel culture at all so I'm not sure why that needs bringing up. It's really not realistic to suggest that white supremacist ideas and sexual frustration are inherently linked.

Regards the provocateurism of his manifesto, this is again considerably more insidious than Ben Shapiro or Milo Yiannopoulos trying to show up SJWs for YouTube views. The manifesto and the gunman's comments in the video seem to have been intended to stoke division in a similar mode to that of ISIS: what it's likely he wants is for people to take out their anger over this attack on right-wingers, in the hopes that that will encourage young right-wingers to radicalise in response. This is very different to guys complaining about Captain Marvel being a girl, this is outright terrorist tactics, and taking anger over this attack out on incels or Trump supporters is exactly what this guy seems to have wanted.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:46 am

I haven't seen all of the NZ Prime Minister's response, but I think the sound bite that will (and should) live on is "You may have chosen us, but we utterly reject and condemn you." They aren't shaking in their boots, they're stubbornly rejecting his bullshit.

The thing that's popped up on my radar the most is his use of memes in the manifesto, and his saying "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" right before shooting. Thankfully I'm seeing a lot of pushback/caution against making a causation connection between memes, Pewds, and this massacre, but they're still out there.

It looks like the "link" between violent video games and shootings, to me; a fundamental misunderstanding of the youths. This idiot didn't get the idea, or get encouragement for this act from shitposts or Pewds. I'll concede that I've seen some incredibly dark and racist memes, and that's just on Reddit, and I don't know the thought process behind massacring dozens of unarmed people. I don't think somehow banning racist memes is going to prevent something like this, and I don't think villainizing shitposting culture is reasonable at all. I would like to see Pewds tear into the white supremacists that are dumb enough to believe he agrees with them at all, tho.

Also, I happened to see a clip of the video which was absolutely uncool.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Australia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 pm

In slightly lighter news, halfway through a Queensland senator blaming Muslims for the attack (because we Aussies weren't coming off bad enough already in this story), one heroic future PM, dubbed "Egg Boy", smashed him in the back of the head with an egg. (I'm reminded of that line in Batman Returns where the Penguin's all "Why would you people bring eggs and tomatoes to a mayoral speech?" so I guess it's premeditated. Also, he was unironically filming himself committing the act which I feel contradicts his point but he's a kid and I don't remember logic being a strong point of my childhood.) Anyway, the racist tool had the appropriate response of turning around and slapping Egg Boy because that's the level of maturity we've come to expect from him.

Mild violence towards dickhead and Millenial

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:35 am

Anning was also criticized for tweets he posted following the shooting. "Does anyone still dispute the link between Muslim immigration and violence?" he wrote.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-eggs- ... 019-03-16/

I can't fault his logic: if there were no Muslims in New Zealand, there could hardly be any violence against Muslims in New Zealand now could there?

Hell, they could kick everyone out of the country and eliminate crime altogether.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:25 am

I just want to complain about something I noticed, because people keep posting links in #the_van on Discord. Most of the articles on the shooter have his name in the URL. And a lot of media sources are talking about his manifesto as if it's actually relevant.

Now, I know that damnatio memoriae didn't work even in the pre-Internet era, which is why we have the term "Herostratic fame," and I know that "just don't click" is hard even with normal clickbait, but I really wish that on an individual level, people would make an effort to give these people as little attention as possible, and ideally not to call them by their names, but certainly not in the title and URL. It's far too easy for a fucked-up person to see the discussion of one of these attacks and think "hey, that could be me!" and they often directly credit prior attackers as motivation.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 pm

By the way, I did find it appropriate that the killer is being denied access to newspapers, television, radio and most importantly the Internet.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:19 am

cmsellers wrote:I just want to complain about something I noticed, because people keep posting links in #the_van on Discord. Most of the articles on the shooter have his name in the URL. And a lot of media sources are talking about his manifesto as if it's actually relevant.

Now, I know that damnatio memoriae didn't work even in the pre-Internet era, which is why we have the term "Herostratic fame," and I know that "just don't click" is hard even with normal clickbait, but I really wish that on an individual level, people would make an effort to give these people as little attention as possible, and ideally not to call them by their names, but certainly not in the title and URL. It's far too easy for a fucked-up person to see the discussion of one of these attacks and think "hey, that could be me!" and they often directly credit prior attackers as motivation.

Heres the problem, though:
He's going to get the attention anyways.
No sooner than you posted that were claims made that his manifesto said that he was inspired by "so and so", and as a result "we should blame so-and-so and everyone and everything I think is even vaguely related."

Of course, if there's going to be an argument about the content of a document which might be informative about the motives of a shooter, then naturally other people will want to know the contents of the document. Its much like weapons in that sense. And, if someone is going to levy blame, or even craft social policy, on the basis of that document and the shooter who made it, wouldn't you think there's something crooked about denying everyone else the ability to know for themselves whats in it?

If someone is going to insist on arguing to condemn others off of that document, but think there's something wrong with covering it up in order to hamper anyone else's ability to argue back, then isn't it better to not use what one claims to be in the document as part of a political argument at all?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:46 am

Someone I know set up a petition to refer to the shooter as “C*ck Womble” (censoring hers) in all official communications, rather than using his real name. It seems to be open to people outside NZ (I and someone from Australia were both able to sign it, anyway).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:17 am

I've just been getting his name wrong on purpose whenever I can. Trent Blender, Battle Taco, Brooklyn Taxi, Bristol Tracksuit, Tremble Blooper...I know his real name is pretty dumb so maybe one of those is correct?

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby JamishT » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 am

I have no idea what his name is, I've seen it a few times, but I've forgotten it, along with his face.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:56 am

Pedgerow wrote:I've just been getting his name wrong on purpose whenever I can. Trent Blender, Battle Taco, Brooklyn Taxi, Bristol Tracksuit, Tremble Blooper...I know his real name is pretty dumb so maybe one of those is correct?

Please not Battle Taco or Tremble Blooper. I kind of love those names, especially Battle Taco. A part of me wants to call him Terror Wrist, but that sounds too nice to me, too.

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:15 am

How do you pronounce NZMBLA? That's what I'd call him.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh