VA Gov Northam yearbook page had blackface, KKK outfit

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: VA Gov Northam yearbook page had blackface, KKK outfit

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:59 pm

It seems very unlikely that all three will resign, because the Democrats are well aware of this. The bigger issue is that he can't run for re-election if he becomes governor, and even if Northam or Fairfax sticks it out, Herring may well be too damaged to win.

As I said at the start of the thread, I think Northam would resign, though he's so far sticking it out.

Fairfax depends on additional allegations. In #metoo, all allegations I am aware of that were not intimate partner allegations were ultimately followed by several more, except in one case: George Takei. So while it seems unlikely that Fairfax will be the second exception, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt pending more allegations.

As I've said, I don't thing Herring should resign, but the Republicans are making hay of this and almost certainly will keep doing so until the elections this November. I imagine the main goal is to demoralize black voters, because if they feel like the Democrats have failed them and don't turn out, Republicans keep both houses and even expand their majorities. If they win a few swing voters over as well, that's gravy.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm

I'm more concerned with why Obama was wearing white face at my party last week.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 pm

I'm of the opinion that Northam and Fairfax should resign. What Fairfax is accused of is heinous and I believe Vanessa Tyson. The "fuck that bitch" story is also...concerning. Northam, meanwhile, has been dishonest and evasive. By contrast, Herring has seemingly been pretty forthright about what he did, and "what he did" was relatively minor, so I don't think he needs to resign.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 am

I'm of the thought that Northam should defy all attempts to make him resign in relation to this controversy, and that Fairfax should be allowed to stay put unless he has more accusers.

As far as I'm concerned, Northam's situation was engineered by moral guardians who should be defied instead of bowed to.

Also, this should be the standard for every politician in Northam's position (some conditions apply, though).

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:58 am

I'm late to the party but I'll still take a cup of stale soda and whatever is in that dark bottle.

Virginia told Florida to hold it's beer and wow. Just impressive. West Virginia might have another teacher's strike and it won't get a mention in the national news now. I could drive to D.C. and snap a pic of Obama hitting a blunt and it wouldn't be this big of a deal. You cannot cross the racism line. Just can't.

I do enjoy the attorney general just coming right out like may as well get it out of the way.

The "black face is never acceptable crowd" can turn themselves in for laughing at Tropic Thunder and having quoted it during their life. A few of them might be missed by friends and family but this is a necessary improvement we need for the species. "Never" is a strong word.

I wish just once in my life I'd see conservatives support social services like they support preventing abortion. Once the child is born the attitude becomes "Why are people having kids they can't afford?" so I don't get the big hubbub. It's all religion based which is the worst policy driver in the history of humanity. Nothing against anyone here, just a generalization.

But I do hope there's more bullets left in the right wing gun aimed at Virginia. Like #metoo I'm sitting back with popcorn just watching the careers topple.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:40 am

Krashlia wrote:I'm of the thought that Northam should defy all attempts to make him resign in relation to this controversy, and that Fairfax should be allowed to stay put unless he has more accusers.

He has more accusers.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... al-assault

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Krashlia wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Northam's situation was engineered by moral guardians who should be defied instead of bowed to.

Just because something like this was raised in a questionable manner doesn't mean one can really ignore the truth of what was raised. Voters shouldn't be expected to just get over the image and his abysmal response to the image (the latter being a key part of his situation that can't really be considered to have been "engineered by moral guardians") on the grounds that the image was first brought up as a weapon. And it would show a tremendous disregard to his black voters for him to refuse to accept having done anything wrong on those grounds.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:03 pm

If you really want justice you should make every politician resign. And jump off a cliff.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Windy wrote:If you really want justice you should make every politician resign. And jump off a cliff.

Having them do politics seems like a better punishment, frankly.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 am

Not just politics. Politics in a monarchy! Yeah, that'll show them. Cut off their heads and all that.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous