Supreme Court upholds military ban on trans people

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Supreme Court upholds military ban on trans people

Postby Windy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:14 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46963426

The United States Supreme Court has allowed President Donald Trump to enforce his policy of banning certain transgender people from the military.

The court voted 5-4 to grant a Trump administration request to lift injunctions blocking the policy while challenges continue in lower courts.

The four liberal judges on the court opposed the ruling.

The policy prohibits "transgender persons who require or have undergone gender transition" from serving.

The top court's ruling is not a mandate, but it has opened up the option for the military to enforce the ban.

The Trump administration had also appealed for an expedited ruling on the case, which the Supreme Court declined to take up.

Remember that time when Trump got to appoint 2 supreme court justices and TCS decided to convince themselves that was a victory somehow? Good times.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Supreme Court upholds military ban on trans people

Postby Absentia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Technically, this isn't a decision to uphold the ban, but rather an order allowing the government to begin implementing the ban while it is being contested in court. SCOTUS could still ultimately strike it down when the case proper gets to them (although I wouldn't bet on it).

Personally I remember being rather upset about what happened with Merrick Garland and the Kavanaugh hearings, but don't let that spoil your narrative I guess.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:21 am

I convinced myself that something that Trump did was a victory? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that everything he does is doomed to failure.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:35 am

Windy wrote:Remember that time when Trump got to appoint 2 supreme court justices and TCS decided to convince themselves that was a victory somehow? Good times.

Can you explain further or link to the topic/thread page you're referring to? I don't have this whole place memorized.

I can personally say, I have never thought trmp has done anything worth calling a victory.

As to the decision; I disagree with it and hope at least one of the conservative judges will too upon the inevitable re-review they will do in however-so-long it takes to get back to them.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus