Stephen Hillenburg, Creator of Spongebob dies of ALS at 57

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Stephen Hillenburg, Creator of Spongebob dies of ALS at 57

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:18 am

This wasn't unexpected from back when he announced he had ALS, it's not very survivable. But the man was an important part of so many people's childhoods. Spongebob is incredibly influencial and modern random children's comedy is almost always directly influenced by and rips off its work.

The first few seasons will always get me to laugh and I could rattle off the episodes' scripts while watching them, I watched them so many times. Stuff like the surreal time travel episode, the creepy and fascinating and ultimately hilarious episode set in Rock Bottom, The Sponge Who Could Fly, The One where Spongebob fucks up the pickles, so many episodes were so good and still are.

The show managed to be meta without being obnoxious, while still maintaining a hilarious sincerity about everything. It never felt overly clever or proud of itself for the meta-ness of the jokes. It managed to keep an emotional range that's really surprising for what is, in the end a comedy dependent on randomness. Spongebob's work ethic problems and his self esteem issues could reach surprisingly over the top (or under the bottom) depths emotionally, while in the end he always bounded back to his cheery self.

RIP Stephen Hillenburg.
(You know you're all chorusing the words)

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Stephen Hillenburg, Creator of Spongebob dies of ALS at

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:59 am

I absolutely cannot stand what he created but I see the joy it has brought to people.

RIP

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Stephen Hillenburg, Creator of Spongebob dies of ALS at

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:39 am

I can't accurately summarize how influential early Spongebob was to my budding sense of humor. That original stretch, coupled with the first movie, is altogether one of the best cartoons in history -- and it makes it all the more bitter that the show turned into such a lowest-common denominator dumpster fire soon after.

Rest in peace, Ocean Man.

P.S. "Band Geeks" is the undisputed best episode. Fight me, everyone who doesn't care.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute