"Sandy Hook woz bantz"?

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

"Sandy Hook woz bantz"?

Postby Marcuse » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:02 pm

A student union officer at Lancaster University has been temporarily suspended from their position for leaking images of students at a Snowsports society during a "white t-shirt" event who had objectionable slogans on them. The officer chose to do this because the internal student union investigation was taking too long. The slogans, for people who don't want to follow the link, were things like "I like 12 year olds" and "Sandy Hook woz bantz". While they are currently being investigated by the student union, there isn't any sort of criminal investigation. However, the t-shirts have been described as a "hate crime" by the person who leaked them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46205164

I am...unsure why these are being taken as seriously as they are. Honestly the things in the images are odious, but odious doesn't equal illegal. The student union have every right to refuse to allow that sort of thing in their space, but I'm not sure why there seems to be some attempt to draw attention to this as though it's criminal. Thoughts?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: "Sandy Hook woz bantz"?

Postby gisambards » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I think, given that it was a society event, this should be subject to discplinary action from the student union, but that seemed to be happening anyway.

Immediately the issue with trying to brand it hate speech is that, offensive as the phrases are, they're not actually hateful to any particular group of people. Perhaps if the leaker had included any of the racist, homophobic, etc. slogans they claim were on display, they'd have some sort of case, but the slogans in question just aren't hate speech at all.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 pm

What does "Sandy Hook woz bantz" even mean? What is "bantz"? The results I'm seeing on Google (which say it's essentially a contraction of "banter") don't seem to fit.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:50 pm

It means that it was a joke or sport. People would describe this whole event as banter, for example, as trivial tomfoolery.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Marcuse » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:53 pm

As best I can fathom it, "Sandy Hook woz bantz" is intended to imply that the shooting was, in effect, a joke or not a serious thing. It is generally a contraction of banter, but in my experience this includes a degree of negatively pranking or hurting a member of the group and passing it off as no big deal because it's just bantz.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm

The idea of "they might actually believe these things and act on them" never gets countered internally with "they might be kidding around" possibly because that might cause people to try and find out the truth instead of following their prejudices. Which is way easier.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh