Mikey Cadena

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Mikey Cadena

Postby Tuli » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:49 pm

I am making this thread because I saw this video on reddit but the thread there is locked and I kind of need to vent somehow. It's of a 4-year old child who is being forced by the judge to return to his abusive mother and it absolutely kills me inside.

Warning: only watch this if you are okay shaking with impotent rage or crying your heart out... or maybe both at the same time, why not!

More info:
https://www.helpussavemikey.com/

The Pediatric Resource Center for Child Abuse and Neglect (PRC) in Peoria, Illinois examined Mikey and documented multiple injuries he incurred while under the care of Ms. Buck, including: severe bruising, blunt force trauma, a human bite mark, black eyes, anal bleeding and tear with swab test done, forehead bruising, rope burns on ankles and wrists, burned fingers, sores, misplaced hips, and excessive dental problems leading to a 3 hour surgery when he was just two-years old.

And what kills me the most is that this child has a father who wants to raise him that he was safe and happy with but he is still being given back to the woman who inflicted horrible abuse on him up until he was 2-years old instead. Because due to constant threats the father chose to relocate to another state and apparently his attorney failed to file the paperwork correctly? And this is a worse crime than rope burns and anal tears on a 2-year old?! Oh and by the way, the judge denied allowing testimony from a child psychologist in the case, because apparently judges in America can just do that. No explanation needed either.

Oh my god, I can't even fucking form coherent thoughts anymore. It feels like I've just watched someone's life get destroyed and there's nothing I can do. Why does a proved abusive parent get preferential treatment over a non-abusive one?!

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Re: Mikey Cadena

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm

This is terrible! That video is heartbreaking :'( {{{Mikey}}} Did the judge even talk to the child?

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby cmsellers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:14 pm

This is possibly worrying, but not nearly as bad as it looks at first glance. Read these three stories from a local paper.

From the looks of it, the mother is an addict who is trying to turn her life around, as is the father, who also lost custody at one point. Of course if she is an abuser she almost certainly won't change, but as far as I can tell the allegations are unconfirmed. As with many child custody orders, part of the condition of Mike Sr. getting custody was that he cannot move out of state without court permission. This is a standard condition of every court-ordered custody agreement I have heard of.

Mike Sr. moved to Massachusetts without court permission, refused six court orders to return to Illinois, and went into hiding. Finally the Illinois courts got fed up and he was held in contempt of court, ordered to serve six months and his mother was awarded temporary custody.

There are definitely cases where courts favor an unfit mother in custody cases because she is the mother/a woman, but this does not look like one of them. In fact, those cases often hinge on false allegations of abuse in which the child has been coached in what to say. And while I haven't heard of a man doing it to a before, I kind of wonder if that is the case here too.

I would say that the main takeaway here is that when a court tells you to do something, no matter how unfair you feel it is, you do it and then appeal.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tuli » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm

cmsellers, unfortunately I can't read any of the articles on pantagraph because I am in the EU. I do hope it's not as bad as it looks though.

What shocked me is the depth of the child's terror when he was told he has to go back to his mom. From smiling and happy to terrified, just like that. It's hard to think that stems from nothing.

Going off on a tangent here, but this makes me think of a former coworker of mine. She divorced her ex because he was psychologically (maybe also physically, idk) abusive, but they had a daughter. Because she was staying at friends' places after the divorce and didn't have a stable home at first, the father got custody of the child (apparently he also had some connections in the judicial system). She did have visitation but when it was her turn to have the child, he'd often change plans at the last minute and not bring her. Other times he would just spring the child on her unannounced and when the mother couldn't take her due to work or other issues, he'd tell the child her mother didn't want her. He is a skilled manipulator who plays the victim to the authorities while using the child to still control her mother. One of my other coworkers actually saw him one time when he barged in to the workplace one time because he didn't believe she was working, said he was acting like someone possessed. Just pure malice. And people like that do get awarded custody... because they can keep it together in front of the right people.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Yeah I can't read the articles either but it's because of adblocker.

Shouldn't both parents feel lucky the child isn't in foster care?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Yeah I can't read the articles either but it's because of adblocker.

Pro tip: disabling scripts disables the adblock-blockers on every site I have seen except Forbes.

iMURDAu wrote:Shouldn't both parents feel lucky the child isn't in foster care?

If the mother actually is abusive towards the child, I would say that foster care is better than being with her.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm

She was found to be an unfit mother and had the kid living in a drug house. That had an active meth lab. That's all I need to know about her.

The father left the state with the child and didn't inform the court. That's not what a normal person does. That's all I need to know about him.

They should feel lucky that either of them have rights.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh