Professor says Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her 35 years ago

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Professor says Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her 35 years

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 pm

Someone hates the comment section more than Wong? Surely you must be Wong about that.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Pargin me, but James Fallows disabled comments on all of his own articles. Not even Wong did that.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:04 am

Aye, I was pretty bummed when NRO put their comments behind a 70-dollar paywall last year*. I'm not sure boycotting media outlets that don't have good comment sections is practical at this point, though. It seems like nobody wants to moderate them, since the ones that are sticking around are the largely unmoderated sewer pits you wouldn't want to go into anyway.

*No, seriously, that's what they charge for full online access, including comments. When the conservative media bubble goes, it's gonna take the whole damn economy with it just like subprime mortgages did.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:44 am

Crimson847 wrote:Aye, I was pretty bummed when NRO put their comments behind a 70-dollar paywall last year*.

NRO = National Review Online? Because I can see their comments fine and I don't even block cookies or scripts for them, like I do to get around the paywalls on most media sites.

Crimson847 wrote:I'm not sure boycotting media outlets that don't have good comment sections is practical at this point, though.

Never tried to do that. I read Sabato's Crystal Ball which has never had comments, and The Economist, which has the worst comments section this side of The Daily Mail.

But I had already made it a rule not to click on James Fallows' own articles because he removed comments on them. And I am still pissed that The Atlantic had one of the only decent comment sections, but they only saw the flaws and rather than fixing it, they destroyed it with a self-aggrandizing announcement which promoted their hand-curated "Letters" section. I also kind of suspected that the comments which call out inaccuracies were part of the reason they removed it. So when they removed their comments, I resolved not to read it regularly again and definitely not to subscribe until they add comments back or James Fallows steps down.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:22 am

cmsellers wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:Aye, I was pretty bummed when NRO put their comments behind a 70-dollar paywall last year*.

NRO = National Review Online? Because I can see their comments fine and I don't even block cookies or scripts for them, like I do to get around the paywalls on most media sites.

You can see them, but you can't post in them, nor can anyone else who didn't pay the $70/year subscription fee. Which means, probably not coincidentally, that nobody outside the bubble posts there anymore. Used to be there was a fair amount of debate, now there's hardly any.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous