Mass Shooting At Madden Game Tournament

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Mass Shooting At Madden Game Tournament

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:38 pm

A Mass Shooting has occurred at the GLHF Game Bar in Jacksonville Florida, during a Madden 19 Tournament. Probably some asshole getting revenge for being eliminated.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Mass Shooting At Madden Game Tournament

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 pm

See video games dooo cause violence.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 pm

All I heard about the motive is a witness said he saw someone storm out angrily a bit before the shooting started, and speculated that he might have come back for revenge, but clarified that people ragequit like that "constantly" so he couldn't be certain.

Apparently they were recording the game with Twitch or something when the shooter game in; I saw the video on a news article. You see them playing Madden and hear them chatting on the mics, then you hear gunfire, a popup appears saying "Controller disconnected", and suddenly you don't hear anything more from the players. That popup hangs there hauntingly as the sounds of gunfire continue over the mics. It's like that trope in movies where a character is talking to someone on the phone, then suddenly they hear gunfire and the phone disconnects, leaving them standing there in horror listening to the dial tone.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 am

If you look closely you can see a laser pointer

phpBB [video]

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:22 pm

The good (or less horrible than you might expect) news is that the shooter, David Katz, used a handgun instead of something more dangerous so most of the victims survived. He "only" killed three people, including himself.

The police still aren't talking motive publicly but it's starting to look like it really was a beef between two highly-rated players. Katz and one of the other deceased had both won large tournaments in the past.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 pm

So, this happened about 5 miles away from where I live.

Fortunately, no one I know was injured (that I know of), but it could have easily been. I know people who go to that game bar, and there is a local gaming group that normally would have been had they not had a scheduling conflict with another event.

Also, that area is one that is frequented by Pokémon Go players, but as far as I know, no one in that community was injured either.

It was a pretty crappy weekend for gun violence. There was also a fatal shooting outside of a High School football game.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 pm

If this guy was willing to break out a gun over Madden, for the love of god nobody tell him about World of Warcraft.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:23 pm

And the shooter was from Baltimore. So at least you can take solace that it wasn't a local idiot.

The original story I read didn't mention Madden until almost the end of the story and me being a terrible person I kept hoping it wasn't a Smash Bros. event.

Oh c'mon you know you didn't want it to be over a game you're interested in.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 am

Apparently the shooter had been behaving oddly for the whole tournament.

"He was weird all weekend," [survivor Dennis Alston] said. "He had shades on. He didn't speak to anybody. Even after we played, I beat him. (I) went to shake his hand and tell him, ‘Good game,’ and he just looked at me. He didn't say anything."

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/jackson ... /821055909

That dude looks like he's about to cry in this closeup shot during the tournament, which might explain the shades.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 pm

A couple of other tidbits.

Things could have been a lot worse. There were spectators there at the event, but he passed by them to directly target the other competitors. If he had targeted the spectators there could have been a lot more casualties.

The fire department happened to be doing training exercises right across the street, so as soon as the first 911 calls came in they were able to respond. Also, the main police building is right down the street from the Landing, so they were able to arrive very quickly.

On the local morning talk show, a lot of callers were talking about how clearly this was because of the toxic "gamer" culture and violent video games. I find that ironic, since this was a football game, and as I said there was a shooting outside a high school football game, but no one was talking about "football" culture or how the inherent violence in the sport could lead to real life violence.

/shrug

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:53 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:
On the local morning talk show, a lot of callers were talking about how clearly this was because of the toxic "gamer" culture and violent video games. I find that ironic, since this was a football game, and as I said there was a shooting outside a high school football game, but no one was talking about "football" culture or how the inherent violence in the sport could lead to real life violence.

/shrug

While video games will always be blamed for everything from mass shootings to spoiled milk, it does say something about gaming culture when the immediate go-to speculation, was either "Huh, he's a gamer at a tournament. He must have did this because he lost (It was a survivor of the shooting that first speculated that on social media) or "whiny entitled gamer douche *insert rant about participation trophies here*.It turns out, however, the shooter was institutionalized twice in his life. That, of course, doesn't fully explain the motive either, but it could have been a factor considering the culture, and perhaps an examination of the toxic elements of gaming is in order. Gaming addiction is already classified as a disorder, these days. But perhaps there is a discussion to be had about the lay down and rot mentality, the social isolation, the self-reductionism, the susceptibility to be recruited into extremism, and so on.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets