Ruby Rose driven off Twitter over Batwoman backlash

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Ruby Rose driven off Twitter over Batwoman backlash

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:40 am

But this time it's not basement dwelling assholes harassing an actress, it's the left! (See also: ScarJo being pressured away from that trans role)

Ruby Rose, whom I only know from her role as a deaf-mute assassin in John Wick 2 and thought was alright, has been cast as Kate Kane / Batwoman on The CW's Arrowverse shows. Kane is a lesbian martial artist, and Rose is a lesbian with fight scene experience, so you would think the "you have to be exactly the thing you're acting as if you want to act" crowd would be satisfied by this.

Nope.

A movement began on Twitter to keep Rose out of the role, as as wont to happen. Some questioned her acting ability, which, fine, I haven't heard great things about her in roles where she's required to speak. Others are angry because Kate Kane is Jewish and Rose isn't, so of course not all of the checkboxes are filled and we can't have that. But my favorite / most enraging argument is that Rose is conventionally beautiful and thus shouldn't be allowed to be gay in movies, because conventionally pretty lesbians only appeal to straight people. This argument is made by both people who erroneously think she's straight, and by people who know she's a lesbian but are mad anyway because she's attractive. Yeah, really.

Anyway, Rose left Twitter after posting the following, though she has not left the role:

Where on earth did 'Ruby is not a lesbian therefore she can't be batwoman' come from -- has to be the funniest most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I came out at 12? And have for the past 5 years had to deal with 'she's too gay' how do y'all flip it like that? I didn't change. I wish we would all support each other and our journeys.

When women and when minorities join forces we are unstoppable... when we tear each other down it's much more hurtful than from any group. But hey/ love a challenge I just wish women and the LGBT community supported each other more, My wish was we were all a little kinder and more supportive of each other...Sending everyone my love and gratitude, it's been a rollercoaster of a year, this month especially.

I am looking forward to getting more than 4 hours of sleep and to break from Twitter to focus all my energy on my next 2 projects. If you need me, I'll be on my Bat Phone.

In closing: Whitewashing is a serious problem. This is not that, nor are most of the big recent controversies about it. We will gleefully eat each other for the smallest of slights while our enemies cackle from on high. I'm excited to see what she can do in the role.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Ruby Rose driven off Twitter over Batwoman backlash

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:42 am

Between this and the Voltron bullshit, the creatively sterile are sure on a rampage as of late.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:44 am

I thought a lot of the people who were objecting were objecting because they believe she is a bad actor. I only know her as Stella from Orange is the New Black, where she reportedly did a terrible job, though I did not notice it. I think I have to see an actor in two or three different things before I decide that they are bad.

Any rate, I was never going to watch this no matter what, because I do not watch anything on the CW except Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Well, if they had cast Ellen Page I would have given it a shot because I will watch pretty much anything with Ellen Page in it. But Ruby Rose or any other non-Ellen Page actress, it makes no difference to me.

And honestly, I do not see why gay people have to be portrayed by gay actress or disabled people by disabled actresses (unless it is something physically obvious like Down Syndrome) anyways.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby 52xMax » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 am

As much as I'd like to pin this on the 'left'/sjws, and I don't doubt there's a few people who have never picked up a comic book going batshit (get it?) over this, my suspicion is the supposed backlash is being deliberately drummed up to get publicity for the show, or almost entirely fabricated. It's not too different from that time Kelly Mary Tran was "ran off" of Twitter, which coincidentally just happened at the same time Solo was bombing at the box office.

Mind you, there's plenty of basement dweller dweebs on this side of the political spectrum as well, such as what happened with Scarlett Johansson's movie (which her company was producing, is now in development limbo following her exit. Great job, guys!), or the controversy when Marvel decided to cast a white man to play Danny Rand aka Iron Fist, who's always been a white male in the comics. Even Dwayne Johnson got some flack after his movie Skyscraper was released, for playing a character with a prosthetic limb even though he doesn't need one in real life. Hell, the girl from Stranger Things was also "forced out" of social media after she became "the target of memes", which was totally misunderstood by anyone who wrote about it, as it was meant as a joke from the start and Millie Bobby Brown was aware of the whole thing.

As for my personal thoughts on the show, I guess I'll have to wait until I see it to pass judgement, but Rose is a model first, she doesn't have a wide acting range. On the other hand, Kathy Kane is a pretty unidimensional character who was rescued from obscurity a decade ago, and her only defining characteristic seems to be that she's a lesbian, and kinda sorta looks like Batgirl but isn't Batgirl. So it could actually be a perfect match.

It would be more exciting if they revealed that her longtime partner Renee Montoya is in the show, as she was a pretty badass character on her own, even before taking the mantle of the Question. If they paired her with Maggie Sawyer, I'd be less than thrilled. Both of her love interests have already been featured in different TV shows in some manner. Montoya was in Gotham as an internal affairs official with Crispus Allen, and Sawyer was in Supergirl (which is part of the 'arrowverse' but also isn't) as the girlfriend of Kara's step sister. I think that alone speaks about how interesting Kane is that people are more interested on the symbol on her chest and who she's dating than in the character itself.

But I'd love to be proven wrong. So far I have enjoyed all of the DC shows on the CW, and I think they do some of their best work when dealing with smaller, relatively unknown characters. WB restraining Berlanti et al from playing with the big toys might once again lead to something interesting.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:42 pm

And now the production is left to recast the role on short notice. It's a pity John Wayne isn't still alive.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:And now the production is left to recast the role on short notice.

My understanding is that she is still taking the role, she is just no longer on Twitter.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:53 pm

That seems like a win-win really.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 pm

I mean, I understand how Twitch played Pokemon and how crowdsourcing works in that way.

I just don't see Twitter being a good casting director.

I do think that Ms. Rose should employ someone to randomly tweet "I'm Batwoman" a few times a week just to piss people off.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh