Redacted

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Redacted

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:38 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Re: If I know why I'm sad, but it won't go away...

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:13 am

{{{{Jeff}}}} Sorry to hear about your Mom. I don't know if I'm qualified to advise, but I guess there's no harm in a sort of a test appointment if it has become so overwhelming (and it certainly sounds like it has)? Knowing your problems is a good step certainly and help might well, help you in fixing/accepting them and moving forward :) see if you feel slightly better after a session? In any case we are always here for you, to hear out anything ^^

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby JamishT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:29 am

If it's affordable and otherwise feasible, I'd definitely recommend seeing a therapist of some sort. It's good that you know what the problems are, but trying to work through them alone is full of pitfalls and can lead to even more damage.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Absentia » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:29 pm

There was a period of my life when I saw a lot of different mental health professionals. Some of them helped a lot, some not so much, but I never once regretted going. Just the act of seeking help and knowing there was a trained professional in my corner made me more hopeful about getting better. If you're a religious person (I am not), I imagine speaking to a priest/pastor/whatever would have a similar effect if doctors and drugs make you uncomfortable.

Either way, if you've felt badly enough for long enough that you think it might be time to get help, you stand to gain a lot more than you can lose by giving it a shot.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Safe harbour statement: I am not, in any conceivable way, qualified to give mental health advise.
True harbour statement: I am rather far down the list of people who should ever, under even the most extreme circumstances or duress, provide mental health advise.
Generalized safe comment statement: I shall generally generalize, based on the quantity of one, which is me.

Introspection is a hell of a drug. Smart people are prone to it. It can be great as a driver toward achieving excellence, while it can also erode self-confidence, and lead to fun stuff like anxiety and depression. When you're good, you know you are nailing it, but you always - between the high-times - worry that there is someone much gooder who will tear you down as a charlatan, even if that someone is a demonstrable idiot.

Introspection drives, introspection hunts, and it's as tough as diarrhea to either control, or nail-down.

The other thing you identify is empathy. You are able to put yourself in someone else's boots, as it were. That is a strength, and it is related to introspection.

Stupid anecdote; I watched Battle of the Sexes on an airplane, the other day. I knew how it ended, and it wasn't an especially tear-jerking movie. I still had to quietly think other thoughts to keep the joy-tears at-bay.

You are a smart guy, and the ability to introspect and empathize are part of it. The price is obvious. You would rather not be blunt (blind to your own thoughts) or dull (incapable of understanding others). I get it.

The bottom line, according to some asshole on the Internet (namely, me), is you are a creative, introspective, and a very whole person. Sometimes, when overwhelmed, it's a good idea to work with a professional. While it might feel embarrassing, it isn't - everyone does it (hey, like masturbation!... too far, BlehBlah... he probably uses a pick).

Okay, well - I'll try to toss jokes aside.

You be good, sir. These are signs of type of mind which is highly flexible and adept. But, do chat with someone who can help. It might not be the first one or the second, which hits, but the very act of seeking someone to help will relieve you of a large burden; trust me. From there, follow-through becomes comfortable.

Go with it, man. On here, nobody can really help.

EDIT:

Also, just... this... so good.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 am

I don't think your feelings are necessarily unusual or depression. It's 100% normal to grieve your mother in this way. However knowing the cause of your sadness does not mean it isn't depression. Seeking out a therapist might help regardless.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert