James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm

If you're so convinced you have the moral high ground over everyone here and we're hopeless overly-politicised hypocrites, why bother interacting with us?
  • 1

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:20 pm

"If" you're all hopeless overly-politicised hypocrites?

gisambards wrote:What Tim Hunt said was incredibly sexist. There was no misinterpretation - he meant to say something sexist, knowing it was sexist. He literally said that women should not be allowed to work in laboratories. He also didn't say it in private - he said it during a public speech at a function for female scientists. He deserved to be fired.


"If".

I love how much room for interpretation you leave for yourself here. Sunny tried to pretend there wasn't a witch hunt. You literally lied about knowing what he said, about it being a joke being an interpretation about a paragraph that starts with self-deprecatingly calling himself a sexist. Fry seems to think directly abusing students is less bad than someone making a joke about their own romance and calling himself a bad old evil sexist. This was three years ago, long before Trump, yet somehow you guys tried to make the "politics here is a shitshow" something trump caused. (Guess why I didn't participate in that obvious "TCS did nothing wrong"fest)

Mods tried to hijack my thread about the media blaming Milo for journalists being shot because the topic title is "Milo and Trump shoot down journalists" but "Milo wants to rape children" didn't tick a single mod off. How'd that valuable conversation go when it got remade btw, one reply post?

You ARE overly-politicising hypocrites, and mocking you for the obvious bullshit positions you take is cathartic.
  • 2



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:01 pm

The fact that the central piece of evidence for your argument is an unimportant thread from three years ago does rather highlight the weakness of it. You never got on here because you are a rude person who is infuriated to a pathetic degree by people disagreeing with you, to the point of often insulting them for expressing an opinion you disagree with before you yourself had even expressed an opinion on that issue. I understand that for the purposes of trying to maintain your delusions of being a rational, reasonable person you're now trying to pass this off as mocking people for catharsis, but that's incredibly unconvincing given the desperation you've displayed in arguments previously. If you were a troll, I find it impossible to see what enjoyment you'd have been getting out of previous discussions in which you were just blindly insulting everyone for being liberal while everyone responding was trying to reasonably engage with you.
Ultimately, I just think it's sad that someone who's always seemed fairly intelligent is actually such an unreasonable person that you'd rather pretend you were a troll the entire time instead of just, for once, as I and others have repeatedly tried to get you to do, trying to be pleasant and discussing your disagreements calmly.
  • 3

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:11 pm

As I pointed out. You can't even bring yourself to admit that you supported this bullshit until the second someone you like fell into it. That you've been doing it for three years "weakens my argument"?
  • 2



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:32 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:You can't even bring yourself to admit that you supported this bullshit until the second someone you like fell into it.

I don't support the dredging up of years-old jokes to drag someone through the mud, which is not what happened to Tim Hunt or Milo Yiannopoulos - they got into trouble for making the comments they made immediately after making those comments.
If James Gunn had made the comments he was fired over over the last week, I would categorically support Disney's decision to fire him. Even now, I don't fully oppose Disney's decision, though do think more thought should have gone into it.
Further, I don't like James Gunn. I think he's a good director and I like some of his films. I don't know anything about him at all.
What I disagree with is the dredging up of old comments like this.
But the fact is this post is the first time I've actually expressed an opinion either way as to whether or not James Gunn should have been fired, and I don't think my position is hypocritical. I think it just sums up the issues I have with your style of argument that you were accusing me of hypocrisy without actually bothering to check if I'd expressed an opinion at all.
  • 4

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:36 pm

You mean the comments they didn't make. Let's not forget you lied about knowing what Tim Hunt said and explicitly think Milo was lying to troll people.
  • 0



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm

gisambards wrote:I don't support the dredging up of years-old jokes to drag someone through the mud, which is not what happened to Tim Hunt or Milo Yiannopoulos - they got into trouble for making the comments they made immediately after making those comments.


That's not exactly true in the case of Yiannopoulos - he got in trouble for 2017 for comments he made in 2015 and 2017. Not as old as Gunn's jokes but not immediately after either.

But he didn't get in trouble for offending liberals - that was his job. He got in trouble because he said things that offended the conservatives who employed him.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:I love how much room for interpretation you leave for yourself here. Sunny tried to pretend there wasn't a witch hunt. [...] Fry seems to think directly abusing students is less bad than someone making a joke about their own romance and calling himself a bad old evil sexist.


Neither of them defended Gunn here, so how does that prove hypocrisy? Do you think we are a hivemind, and everybody is responsible for everything everybody else said?
  • 6

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3296
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:You mean the comments they didn't make. Let's not forget you lied about knowing what Tim Hunt said and explicitly think Milo was lying to troll people.

You got me. You exposed the great lie. Yes, three years ago, when I was still in secondary school, I made a snap judgment on a guy without the full evidence. I wish I hadn't done, but I did. But that was three years ago, and I wouldn't do it now. I now know the full details of what Tim Hunt said. I still think it was right he was removed from the position he was removed from.
I don't understand the comment about Milo. While that is how I interpreted what he was saying, that wouldn't mean he didn't say it. And again, even considering it to have been intended as a joke, I think it was right that he was fired.
So, once again, there is no hypocrisy on my end here. Whether you're trying to make an actual point or if you actually are just trolling, this remains an uninspiring display.

Aquila wrote:That's not exactly true in the case of Yiannopoulos - he got in trouble for 2017 for comments he made in 2015 and 2017. Not as old as Gunn's jokes but not immediately after either.

The initial comments he got in trouble for were close to the time he got in trouble for them, and then earlier comments emerged on the same theme. I think this is fine - if Gunn had made a joke like the ones he's in trouble for yesterday, and then it had emerged he'd been doing it for years, I think it should be held against him as it shows consistent behaviour.
  • 4

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Thread temp locked. Everyone please take this time to cool down.
  • 11

"Or perhaps the distinction between the two wasn’t so fine, between the man-made monster and the man made monster."- Sylvester Lambsbridge, Twig.
User avatar
FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:12 pm
Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Thread unlocked. Please keep it civil.
  • 8

"Or perhaps the distinction between the two wasn’t so fine, between the man-made monster and the man made monster."- Sylvester Lambsbridge, Twig.
User avatar
FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:12 pm
Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:33 am

I’ve read the tweets, and that shit was disgusting and appalling. I really expected better from Gunn, I mean dude wrote GOTG and couldn’t make funnier jokes then that? Shoot, even family guy could do a better pedophillia joke, and I’m sure they have on more than one occasion.
  • 2

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
User avatar
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm
Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:41 am

Cobra-D wrote:I’ve read the tweets, and that shit was disgusting and appalling. I really expected better from Gunn, I mean dude wrote GOTG and couldn’t make funnier jokes then that? Shoot, even family guy could do a better pedophillia joke, and I’m sure they have on more than one occasion.


Image
  • 4

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:18 am
Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Here's what gets me.

Gunn had apparently realized these tweets were fucked up and deleted them all.

At least, that's my interpretation since J.P. used archive.org to find all the tweets and make screenshots.

But here's the other thing. You can fake twitter screenshots. It's easy to do. Things that are folding out in real time: Like Roseanne calling someone a monkey-yeah I get the outrage then. But I'm wary of only screenshots BECAUSE of how easily things can be created.

I also have issues with measuring things from a decade ago or longer with our current morality metric. I think we can go within 5 years-but no older. What is socially "ok" has changed quite a bit from 10 years to now. Don't believe me? Go watch the 40 Year Old Virgin again-it was 2005. You're going to cringe at some of it now. And that was only 13 years ago.
  • 9

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11457
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby onewordlouder » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:07 pm

"Comedy is the quickest to age, and the most likely to age poorly."

(Also, everyone watch this video. It's so good.)
  • 5

onewordlouder
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 am
Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby Windy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:07 am

Ceiling_Squid wrote:Once again, the alt-right have decided to piss in the internet's cheerios. I am firmly on the side of your other hand.

Because why should the alt-right have a coherent ideology aside from "fuck the libs." It's not like they actually give a shit about the faux-outrage they stoked. Anti-PC is their bread and butter. If it were one of their own saying those things, they'd not have said a damn thing.


"How dare people treat me exactly the same way I treat others!"

Let me point you to exactly what's going on here...
  • 1

User avatar
Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am
Show rep

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests