James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby Absentia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:02 am

The deadliest war ever was 75 years ago. There have been numerous less-deadly wars since. Your pattern doesn't hold.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:52 am

Windy wrote:
aviel wrote:
Windy wrote:The long term trend of the human race is war and conflict.

This is the opposite of true.

Up until the point where nuclear war happens and then 100% of the human race dies from violence. It's a cylical pattern: We're less violent in peacetime compared to in the past, but each time things turn to shit we kill each other even harder than before.

Except in your own progression, the last time things turned to shit was the Cold War. And while it's true that communist nations killed vast numbers of their own people during that period, we avoided all-out war between any of the major players on the world stage, and by extension avoided a nuclear war. We actually killed each other pretty softly relative to the all-out carnage of WWII, mostly in proxy wars rather than direct engagements. Which gives the impression that the elites who run the world love to bicker and fight with each other when the actual fighting will be taking place on a distant battlefield so there's little risk to them personally, but they're far more diplomatic when the person they're dealing with can almost literally press a button and punch them straight in the nose.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am

Crimson847 wrote:Except in your own progression, the last time things turned to shit was the Cold War. And while it's true that communist nations killed vast numbers of their own people during that period, we avoided all-out war between any of the major players on the world stage, and by extension avoided a nuclear war. We actually killed each other pretty softly relative to the all-out carnage of WWII, mostly in proxy wars rather than direct engagements. Which gives the impression that the elites who run the world love to bicker and fight with each other when the actual fighting will be taking place on a distant battlefield so there's little risk to them personally, but they're far more diplomatic when the person they're dealing with can almost literally press a button and punch them straight in the nose.

Other countries will develop nukes, other countries will eventually advance into a post-modern era, and our elites will eventually be replaced with a stupider generation. We're already worried about resource problems as it is, only 20% of the current world population lives in developed countries, what happens when the rest of the world becomes fully modernized and enjoy the same standards of living as America, Europe, or Japan? Our society is obsessed with endless growth and short-term gains with no regard for long-term sustainability. The political climate won't remain stable at that point, assuming it doesn't fall apart for some other reason long before then.

Also we're probably headed towards 1984 at some point in the future since all young people these days hate other peoples' freedom.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Windy wrote:Other countries will develop nukes, other countries will eventually advance into a post-modern era, and our elites will eventually be replaced with a stupider generation.

The current ones aren't stupid enough for you?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Other countries will develop nukes, other countries will eventually advance into a post-modern era, and our elites will eventually be replaced with a stupider generation. We're already worried about resource problems as it is, only 20% of the current world population lives in developed countries, what happens when the rest of the world becomes fully modernized and enjoy the same standards of living as America, Europe, or Japan? Our society is obsessed with endless growth and short-term gains with no regard for long-term sustainability. The political climate won't remain stable at that point, assuming it doesn't fall apart for some other reason long before then.

I didn't know you were an environmentalist, Windy.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:08 pm

The Guardians movies are among my favourites ever (and I liked Super and Slither before I even knew who James Gunn was. I never cared about anything Scooby Doo related apart from a solid rollercoaster at an Aussie theme park but I'm not going to just list a filmography because I have to spread out my digressions according to that court order), but even if this was someone like Zack Sneider, who keeps churning out disappointing movies (and yes, I only picked him because of the irony that they both worked on that Dawn of the Dead remake), I'd be pissed that an entertainer was fired for making bad jokes years before he got the job. Hell, at this rate, I'd be worried that I'll lose my job but I still make bad jokes so the boss would probably have a leg to stand on, unless Rocket stole it.

Anyway, my thoughts are rarely coherent, let alone valid so take it away, other people.

Anyway, it sucks that this might stop the Guardians from becoming a perfect trilogy but at the end of the day, they're just movies and it's not the end of the world. Unless the latter half of this thread is accurate, in which case I stand corrected. Anyone got a bomb shelter I can borrow then change the locks on?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Absentia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Whatever side Dave Bautista is on, I'm not going to argue with him.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Absentia wrote:Whatever side Dave Bautista is on, I'm not going to argue with him.

Plus, he has a pretty signature. What can't the man do?
Although an honourable mention goes to Klementieff for the least amount of fucks given. She probably gave up on her signature a long time ago.

Eh? Eh? (It's funny because she's French. Also, what kind of name is Pom? Man, French people, I swear...)

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Looks like if Feige was banking on getting Gunn back after Disney settled down and tore their heads from their own asses, he waited too long. Gunn is now in talks with DC and Warner Bros to write and possibly direct Suicide Squad 2.

Which makes me kind of excited for the sequel to one of the worst superhero movies I've ever seen, and very worried for the MCU's future. But at least he's getting work.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 pm

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Disney hires a guy named Gunn right after a mass shooting at a mosque.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:14 pm

Apparently Disney never bothered to look for another director, and he was rehired quietly some months ago.

That makes sense. They waited for the controversy to die down and signal that they didn't like what he said but they know they want the money that he would bring in.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Previous