James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

James Gunn fired from Disney over Pedo Comments

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:42 am

Ceiling_Squid wrote:If PC culture really does exist, it sure as hell doesn't wield the kind of real, frightening power that the alt-right does as a subset of ascendant Trumpism.

The real, frightening power to

*checks notes*

Get a man fired from his public facing position for Pedo jokes.

Which is absolutely not something that mythical sjws or PC culture have ever been capable of doing. Who's Milo? Whatever happened to Pewdiepie? It's alllll a myyystery. And no matter what happens, one thing is for sure, PC culture was not involved.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: James Gunn fired from Disney over Pedo Comments

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:03 am

A Combustible Lemon wrote:
Ceiling_Squid wrote:If PC culture really does exist, it sure as hell doesn't wield the kind of real, frightening power that the alt-right does as a subset of ascendant Trumpism.

The real, frightening power to

*checks notes*

Which is absolutely not something that mythical sjws or PC culture have ever been capable of doing. Who's Milo? Whatever happened to Pewdiepie? It's alllll a myyystery. And no matter what happens, one thing is for sure, PC culture was not involved.

I think squid is referring to the fact that the alt-right has more pull with the President and the majority party in Congress than SJWs do. To the extent that SJWs have political influence, it's on the party currently out of power at all levels of government.

Of course, if the Democrats regain power, that will no longer be the case. And if one wants Democrats to regain power, it would be best to have a response to the concern about SJWs being just as bad as the alt-right, rather than merely punting by pointing out that they're out of power for the moment so they're not as immediate a concern.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby AboveGL » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am

Ceiling_Squid wrote:people blaming "the sjws".

For a second, I thought that said "the jews" and unfortunately, was thoroughly amused.

Also, I agree with this 100% and want to QFT:

Ceiling_Squid wrote:The thing is, "SJW" as a pejorative has been so associated with toxic elements on the right that it can't be taken back. Trying to use it just propagates it further and legitimizes it at this point.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:52 am

A Combustible Lemon wrote:The real, frightening power to

*checks notes*

Which is absolutely not something that mythical sjws or PC culture have ever been capable of doing. Who's Milo? Whatever happened to Pewdiepie? It's alllll a myyystery.

Milo Yiannopoulos is still incredibly influential among a certain crowd and, while it did get him fired from his preferred platform to spread bigotry, this was more because the alt-rightists who owned Breitbart (who really never cared what SJWs thought) were offended by the jokes, and regardless, he's gone on to find others. Also, if anything, the paedophilia scandal just cemented the support he has from the type of person who liked him in the first place. So I don't think anyone really can be expected to shed a tear.
PewDiePie was never fired from anything for making paedophilia jokes. He had a YouTube Red show cancelled because of some Nazi jokes (although that incident seemed far more to do with MSM's dislike for internet media than SJW politics), and then did get quite a lot of fairly deserved flak for using the word 'nigger' in a situation which even he admits wasn't meant to be a joke, but he still remains the most subscribed channel on YouTube. He hasn't gone anywhere.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: James Gunn fired from Disney over Pedo Comments

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Which is absolutely not something that mythical sjws or PC culture have ever been capable of doing. Who's Milo? Whatever happened to Pewdiepie? It's alllll a myyystery. And no matter what happens, one thing is for sure, PC culture was not involved.

SJWs and liberals didn't derail Yiannopoulos' career, conservatives did. The videos where he talks about sex between teenagers and adults were out there for a while before causing a scandal; liberals did not latch onto them. They criticized Yiannopoulos for many reasons, but not for this. It was the conservative Reagan Battalion that made them an issue. It was CPAC that disinvited him, it was Breitbart that fired him - definitely not because of pressure from liberals. Simon & Schuster was criticized by liberals after it made a book deal with him; that made no difference. It only cancelled the deal after conservatives started to turn against Yiannopoulos.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Oh is James Gunn going to never make a movie again? Or are people just going to pick him up again uncommented in a year or two? And you don't need to look further than this thread to see how important it is to people that agree with him politically that his reputation isn't sullied, so that bit about Milo still being popular is relevant how exactly?

Also jeez aquila, I forgot the Daily Caller and Mike Cernovitch fired James Gunn for pedo jokes instead of Disney, you're right, that makes all the difference.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:06 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Also jeez aquila, I forgot the Daily Caller and Mike Cernovitch fired James Gunn for pedo jokes instead of Disney, you're right, that makes all the difference.

What are you talking about? You brought up Yiannopoulos as an example of someone whose career was destroyed by SJW's, I was arguing against that. James Gunn is a different matter.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:10 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Oh is James Gunn going to never make a movie again? Or are people just going to pick him up again uncommented in a year or two?

Either way, he's not going to get any major work for a while, whereas your two examples didn't have any real damage done to their careers at all.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:And you don't need to look further than this thread to see how important it is to people that agree with him politically that his reputation isn't sullied, so that bit about Milo still being popular is relevant how exactly?

The point is he's still influential, and saw no real decline in that influence after being fired from Breitbart.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:14 pm

And neither will James Gunn. He's still a rich director with big movies and big friends. He was big before Disney.

And people are martyring him already saying it's all that horrible alt-right's fault that he made those jokes and later encouraged a political environment where people can be fired for it.

And considering the adpocalypse and how youtube red is the only bit of youtube still allowed to make money, Pewds' ability to make money was definitely hurt by the political climate.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:38 pm

How, exactly was James Gunn "big before Disney"? Slither was 2006 (didn't exactly make a huge mark or else you think he'd get a lot of work after) and Troma films were so long before that and those didn't make him a household name. Did anyone else watch the Belko Experiment? That's a... rather recent film. Got about zero promotion as it wasn't a Disney release. His career's fate isn't written in stone. He could be hired elsewhere quickly or be a pariah. We don't know the outcome yet.

And thanks for displaying just how politicized this crap is. You've brought up people who had nothing to do with this situation to show how your preferred side has also apparently suffered needlessly. Yet your preferred side rails against PC culture and still uses it as a weapon.

High road. Unoccupied.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm not the one implying only one side of the shitshow is a conspiracy theory here. Or downplaying that actual harm happened in other cases.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:58 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:I'm not the one implying only one side of the shitshow is a conspiracy theory here.

No-one's been suggesting a conspiracy theory. It's a matter of public record that it was an alt-right site that first started digging up Gunn's old tweets, which, given the alt-right's usual expressed distaste for people being fired for being politically incorrect, it's not unreasonable to assume had some ulterior motive behind it. It's not a conspiracy theory to suggest that the Daily Caller might have just been intentionally trying to create a furore they themselves wouldn't have actually supported at the expense of a liberal celebrity.
Or downplaying that actual harm happened in other cases.

You are though. You were making the entirely false claim that James Gunn was some big director before this job, and insisting that he'll just bounce back from this, which is hardly a certainty given what a low-profile director he actually was before he got put in charge of Guardians of the Galaxy.
Whereas your needlessly brought up examples for people on the right having the same thing happen was a guy who we know is still around and still influential (and I don't think it's actually politicised to not feel the same sympathy for professional hatemonger Milo Yiannopoulos one might feel for talented director James Gunn, it's just rational), and a guy who was never fired for making paedophilia jokes anyway and who is still at the top of his field.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 pm

gisambards wrote:No-one's been suggesting a conspiracy theory.

Ceiling_Squid wrote:The thing is, "SJW" as a pejorative has been so associated with toxic elements on the right that it can't be taken back. Trying to use it just propagates it further and legitimizes it at this point.

Ceiling_Squid wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:I love sjw politics.

How about no?

The big scary ess-jay-dubbayu boogeyman didn't push for this. It was the Daily Caller.

And it looks like their hit piece is working. I see Facebook inundated with complaints about PC culture and sjws, when it was the fucking alt-right behind this. Disney just does what corporations do when bad press hits.

The alt-right's bullshit disruption tactics WORK. And it's distressing to see people blaming "the sjws".

You're right, there's no conspiracy theory accusations here, also SJWs don't exist and are purely an alt-right boogeyman. There was never any legitimate complaint about PC shit. Or get this, getting people fired for out of context quotes. (On a side note, it'd be just brilliant if people could continue to doxx Mike Cernovitch without any media reporting on it just because he took the high road and didn't do any tweet-digging of his own, wouldn't it. By the way I have the best solution to the Israel issue, Palestinians should kill themselves en masse.)

A Combustible Lemon wrote:He's still a rich director with big movies and big friends.

He didn't get hired by Disney for being a no-name. And he now has two guardians films on his resume. He's rich as fuck from them and well situated in Hollywood, which is currently as a group making sure to propagate the idea that he didn't die he was MURDERED. Yeah I'm so worried for him, he's going to die destitute.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:42 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:You're right, there's no conspiracy theory accusations here, also SJWs don't exist and are purely an alt-right boogeyman. There was never any legitimate complaint about PC shit. Or get this, getting people fired for out of context quotes.

It's not remotely a conspiracy theory to suggest that a newspaper launched a hit piece against a celebrity they didn't like, in the hopes of turning people against him. It simply does not meet the definition of a "conspiracy theory" to suggest that someone might have had ulterior motives for doing something. But also, in the circumstances, it seems a reasonable assumption that that is what happened.
Further, in none of those quotes does Squid suggest SJWs don't exist, or that any of those other things don't happen, only that they're propped up as a boogeyman by the alt-right, which is true. The term "SJW" is frequently used to disparage liberals (or just people who disagree with the alt-right). That's not to suggest that actual SJWs don't exist.
it'd be just brilliant if people could continue to doxx Mike Cernovitch without any media reporting on it just because he took the high road and didn't do any tweet-digging of his own, wouldn't it.

As usual, your style of argument makes it nearly impossible to understand what your point is supposed to be here, so maybe you're being sarcastic, but Mike Cernovich really cannot be considered to have taken the high road, and the entire story here is that he did dig up Gunn's old tweets. I can also find no evidence that he's been doxxed over this.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:He didn't get hired by Disney for being a no-name. And he now has two guardians films on his resume. He's rich as fuck from them and well situated in Hollywood, which is currently as a group making sure to propagate the idea that he didn't die he was MURDERED. Yeah I'm so worried for him, he's going to die destitute.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:I'm not the one [...] downplaying that actual harm happened in other cases.

Ignoring the hypocrisy (and the just-as-false-as-last-time insistence that James Gunn was a big name before Guardians), none of what you're saying implies financial security.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:25 pm

TIL calling something an illegitimate term doesn't imply it can't exist.

Why bend over backwards to defend any of this instead of admitting that escalating things and getting people fired was a bad thing. That saying "I'll get outraged next time, don't worry" is a shitty thing to think.
Could it be because you guys have been defending it or excusing it since Tim Hunt and even earlier?
Nah, must be my obsession with Milo and other "unrelated" cases.

Also, James Gunn wanted to be fired, obviously. There's several tweets he's made about how important it is that we know people should be fired for public statements.

When Kleiner made the Milo Thread, he called it "wants to rape children". When he made the James Gunn thread, it's somehow managed to transform into "for old tweets". One of these people explicitly and multiple times said they wanted to rape children. One of them was talking about being abused. You'd never guess which is which from the selective outrage on display here.

But of course, it has nothing to do with politics, we're all centrists here.

Also the alt right did it all. They made him make shitty jokes. They made him endorse political firing. This is definitely not a grave liberals have been digging for themselves.

Oh wait no I said liberals, how dare I name the actual people actually doing these things for the last five years when TRUMPISM IS NAZISM AND THE ALT RIGHT DID THIS ONE.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext