R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:17 pm

The accomplished TV host (most famed for No Reservations and Parts Unknown), author, chef, and jack-of-all-trades has died today at age 61, of an apparent suicide.

I'm really disheartened by this. Having watched the Travel Channel both with great interest and as background noise for many years, I've grown well acquainted with Bourdain's work, and I knew enough about his life and attitude to have quite a bit of respect for him. Crotchety and outspoken as he could often be, he was a man with an honest, unabiding love for exploring the world and experiencing new things. It's even more heart-wrenching because 61 is still far too soon in my book, depression and suicide are the fucking garbage of the human condition, and he had an 11-year old daughter.

The world already feels smaller without him.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

Postby Absentia » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm

The world, and especially the media, needs more people as genuine as Anthony Bourdain. This one hurts.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Re: R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

Postby blehblah » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Well said, Kleiner.

He had a way of making everything entertaining. The enigmatic douchebag who seemed to almost, but not quite, lay it all out there, with charisma to spare.

His first book, Kitchen Confidential, was fantastic. It opened-up a window to an insane world which I didn't know anything about. I think the people who were in that insanity were either there because they were damaged, or were damaged by it. As I understand it, by the time that book really hit, Bourdain had worked past his worst addictions, and seemed to have settled-in to his persona.

For a guy who came across as somehow warm, and built a lot of bridges, he threw himself into isolating situations. While on the road 250 days a year, he was connecting with strangers, and made us feel as though we were connecting with cultures and people we wouldn't otherwise be exposed to through food and charm.

Damn great guy. Damn fucking shame.

Is it terrible that I feel hungry for some street food? Damnit, Bourdain!

EDIT: Not everyone's favourite site, but some great quotes are captured here:

http://thechive.com/2018/06/08/anthony- ... 10-photos/

G'damn, I need to dab my eyes.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel