TotalBiscuit has passed away

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

TotalBiscuit has passed away

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 am

Famous game critic John "TotalBiscuit" Bain passed away today at age 33, after several years spent battling cancer. His condition was declared terminal in late 2015 (we had a thread about it, I think), but he managed to last a while longer before retiring at the start of this month.

I knew very little about him and was never a big fan of his work, but his status cannot be overstated and it feels incredibly strange that he's gone. Plus, whatever the case, 33 is just way too fucking early for anyone's lives to end. Fuck cancer.

(And whatever you do, stay away from Kotaku's piece on this. The readers there are taking the opportunity to fan the flames of old grudges (mostly over GamerGate and his mockery of Brianna Wu), ridiculing him in death as a Nazi, an alt-right enabler, and a gleeful normalizer of modern sexism. I wouldn't find this worth bringing up since everyone should know that whole collective of sites is a trash fire, but I'm actually a bit sick to my stomach over it.)

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: TotalBiscuit has passed away

Postby Windy » Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 am

Life comes at you fast.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am

Windy wrote:
Spoiler: show

Life comes at you fast.

Whenever I see screenshots of improbable tweets I suspect that they're fake, however this seems to be real. Looks like the original tweet was taken down, but I found this.

Also found this explanation.

He was stuck in a separate country to his wife and kid, and wasn't sure if he would ever see them again, then people decided to troll him, and he snapped

His death is the first time I've heard of him, or at least the first time his name made an impression on me, but he didn't double down or deny, which is a rare thing on the internet.

And yes, 33 is far too young. Unless you're a rock star, in which case it's too old.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 am

I can't believe the get cancer and die meme somehow became /more/ popular after he died of cancer. I understood it when he was still active and visibly dying because he could still talk and there was still plenty of negativity coming out of him which makes it easier to justify it to yourself.

But you'd think people would be less ghoulish than to make fun of him when he literally can't respond in any way anymore.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:But you'd think people would be less ghoulish than to make fun of him when he literally can't respond in any way anymore.

He was involved in some controversies and wasn't ideologically pure (despite being mostly left-leaning), ergo he was the enemy. And when the enemy dies, you cheer and say "Nazi" and score points. That's all that matters.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Personally, I've never been a fan of the whole "don't speak ill of the dead" rule. I've been known to bitch openly when a particularly influential politician with a legacy I see as pernicious and enduring dies and the media portrays them much more positively than I think is warranted.

On the other hand, most people's influence doesn't rise to the level of an ex-president or a senior senator, and there are typically better uses of my limited fucks to give than carrying on a grudge after someone is dead, even an exceptionally shitty person. And TotalBiscuit does not seem to have been an exceptionally shitty person.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm

I meant you troll people to get a reaction. Who're these people trying to get a reaction from, Genna?

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:I meant you troll people to get a reaction. Who're these people trying to get a reaction from, Genna?

Charitably, his fans. Uncharitably, his friends and family.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri May 25, 2018 8:32 pm

Hence Ghoulish. Genna is his wife.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 pm

The world would so much more tolerable, if, instead of trolling, people exploded.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:The world would so much more tolerable, if, instead of trolling, people exploded.

So basically, the Hamas strategy?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri May 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Less Hamas, more angry guy from Big Trouble in Little China.

I may not have the healthiest grasp of what constitutes emotional health.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Windy » Sat May 26, 2018 3:02 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:The world would so much more tolerable, if, instead of trolling, people exploded.

I-I-It's just a comedy act w-w-why are you so outraged, OUTRAGED

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat May 26, 2018 1:42 pm

I spent hours trolling Penn State fans on ESPN after Joe Paterno died.

I'd totally do it again.

I'm glad I'm not famous. You put yourself out there and need to not pay attention to the noise.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Tue May 29, 2018 2:56 am

(expunged)

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep