Cornell student presents thesis in underwear

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Cornell student presents thesis in underwear

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon May 14, 2018 4:52 pm

My company has all sorts of arbitrary rules I have to follow. I don't like it, but they write the checks. They have absolutely every right to fire someone for breaking their arbitrary rules (assuming the rules are not illegal discrimination).

You can fight against the Man all you want, but it's better just to pick your battles. This was a stupid hill for her to die on.
  • 8

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: The Yeast of Thought and Mind

Re: Cornell student presents thesis in underwear

Postby SandTea » Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 pm

I consider it my duty, no, my privilege to die on dumb hills everyday. While I may not have changed any dumb policies, I know I have changed minds.

That is good enough for me. Even when I get punished, you will still find me walking up the next big dumb hill waiting for another bullet to etch the message that we can be better into the hearts of observers. Yeah, I'm a god damned hero lol. Now make a movie about me!

Where are my sarcastic trolls at? Like, with how this is going, someone should have called me Tubman by now. Just when you think ya know a place... :lol:
  • 1

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Cornell student presents thesis in underwear

Postby aviel » Tue May 15, 2018 1:24 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:My company has all sorts of arbitrary rules I have to follow.


Your company isn't a university. Most universities1 are prevented from imposing completely arbitrary rules by constitutional guarantees of free speech and equal protection. So whether or not the university's decision here is reasonable, the comparison to a workplace isn't exactly apt. A university has an interest in the free exchange of ideas that a workplace doesn't necessarily.



1 – Cornell specifically is a private university, but some states (like California) even require private universities to comply with constitutional free speech protections.
  • 4

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
User avatar
aviel
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin
 
Posts: 9833
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: Permanently in the wrong
Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Re: Cornell student presents thesis in underwear

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue May 15, 2018 4:18 am

aviel wrote:
IamNotCreepy wrote:My company has all sorts of arbitrary rules I have to follow.


Your company isn't a university. Most universities1 are prevented from imposing completely arbitrary rules by constitutional guarantees of free speech and equal protection. So whether or not the university's decision here is reasonable, the comparison to a workplace isn't exactly apt. A university has an interest in the free exchange of ideas that a workplace doesn't necessarily.



1 – Cornell specifically is a private university, but some states (like California) even require private universities to comply with constitutional free speech protections.


The point of a university (or at least a major one) is to prepare students to enter the workforce. A rule may be arbitrary at a job, but the university is not arbitrary for enforcing it because it serves the purpose of getting the students used to the expectations of a job.
  • 1

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: The Yeast of Thought and Mind

Re: Cornell student presents thesis in underwear

Postby aviel » Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 am

First, preparation for a job is one of many purposes of a university. Others include education and research, both of which require open discourse.

Second, rules don't become non-arbitrary just because other people are following them. There are plenty of rules that a workplace can impose that a university can't, so if you are arguing that a rule at a university is a good idea, you need to do more than just point to expected workplace behavior.
  • 3

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
User avatar
aviel
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin
 
Posts: 9833
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: Permanently in the wrong
Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Re: Cornell student presents thesis in underwear

Postby SandTea » Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 am

I will continue to support opposition against "arbitrary" rules. As I think everybody else should as well. The silly things expected of students, like getting A's on every test but skipping 3 days makes you fail the class is dumb and shouldn't be a thing.

I get that it is... ya know what, fuck it. I think I'll let Don Quixote take over. I promise I'll leave now even though I said that before.
  • 0

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests