Shooting at YouTube HQ

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Shooting at YouTube HQ

Postby blehblah » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:05 pm

https://globalnews.ca/news/4121893/yout ... d-company/

A woman who believed she was being suppressed by YouTube and told her family members she “hated” the company opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters in California, wounding three people before taking her own life, police said.

Investigators do not believe Nasim Aghdam specifically targeted the three victims when she pulled out a handgun and fired off several rounds in a courtyard at the company’s headquarters south of San Francisco on Tuesday, police said.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Re: Shooting at YouTube HQ

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:22 pm

The woman responsible for wounding three people at YouTube headquarters Tuesday was a vegan activist angered by policy changes that hampered her ability to profit from the videos she posted on the platform.

Nasim Aghdam, a 38-year-old San Diego resident who frequently made videos focused on the evils of meat consumption, accused YouTube of discrimination and arbitrary censorship in multiple posts on her personal website and social-media accounts.

“Youtube [sic] filtered my channels to keep them from getting views!” Aghdam wrote on her website. “There is no free speech in real world & you will be suppressed for telling the truth that is not supported by the system. Videos of targeted users are filtered & merely relegated, so that people can hardly see their videos!”

In one Instagram video, Aghdam, wearing a black hood, asks her followers: “When it comes to freedom of speech, do you think that Iran is better than USA or USA is better than Iran?”

Aghdam’s father told the police that she “hated” YouTube and was “angry” about policies that she believed unfairly limited the number of viewers exposed to her videos, according to the Mercury News. YouTube “stopped everything and now she has no income,” he told NBC News.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/veg ... on-policy/

Looks like a plausible motive, but police are still investigating.

It's interesting that the shooter was a woman, apparently acting alone. That's extremely rare in mass shootings; the Cleveland Elementary shooting in 1979 is the only other one I can think of offhand in the modern US.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 pm

I think this is an case where online activism would've produced more results than blam blam.

Much easier to get people to give you sympathy if you've been demonetized but if, for example, someone reposts a movie trailer and gets a million unearned views that they get paid for than it is to get sympathy by shooting people.

I would think.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:55 am

So DP posted something on the "idiots on the internet" thread, and I responded, then realized what thread it is. So I'm gonna repost here, because it's more relevant to this conversation, and also expand on it a bit.

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:
Spoiler: show

My first reaction was to call Poe. After looking at her Twitter account history, I still cannot tell. Either she's doing an impression of the humorless, manhating, lesbian TERF stereotype, or she embodies it.

However it does appear that there's a conspiracy theory that she's trans and the media is covering it up.

People are also focusing on the fact that she's Iranian-American, however aside from the fact that Shiites generally don't commit Islamist terrorism (even Hezbollah is more about killing Jews than spreading Islam), in my experience Iranian-Americans are the group of Americans from Muslim backgrounds most likely to be atheists, presumably for the same reason Cuban-Americans tend to be anti-communist.

People are also apparently focusing on the fact that she's an animal-rights activist. Which... I hate animal rights groups with the fires of ten thousand suns, but I see no evidence that that had anything to do with the shooting. Well, aside from her being an animal rights activist suggesting she's a crank.

But if she's a crank, it would indicate that her stated motivations are her actual motivations.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:34 am

So demonitization of videos has been problematic for everyone besides the Paul brothers, and there has been a plethora of posts in various mediums about how mad people are about it.

This, however, just shows how mentally disturbed the shooter was, because to get to the point where logic tells you to kill yourself to get monetization, ya brain is broke. You've gotta be somewhat mentally disturbed to make money on YouTube, but this is like next level.

Also, Anthony Jeselnik wasted no time in making a dark, dark joke:

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby blehblah » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:30 pm

cmsellers wrote:I hate animal rights groups with the fires of ten thousand suns

*drops link*

http://nationalpost.com/news/toronto/to ... -of-vegans

*sprints away*

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:09 pm

Crimson847 wrote:
It's interesting that the shooter was a woman, apparently acting alone. That's extremely rare in mass shootings; the Cleveland Elementary shooting in 1979 is the only other one I can think of offhand in the modern US.

There has been a few, even with more fatalities than the Cleveland shooting. In 2006, former postal worker Jennifer San Marco killed seven people in a postal facility in Goleta, California before shooting herself. In 2008, Latina Williams (really) a nursing student at the Louisiana Technical College opened fire in a classroom, killing two other women before shooting herself. In 2010, Amy Bishop, a professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville shot six of her colleagues during a meeting; three died.

(I didn't think of these offhand of course, I just got curious.)

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm

I miss the days when diss tracks and armies of twelve year old trolls were the weapons of youtube disputes.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Krashlia » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:17 am

cmsellers wrote:So DP posted something on the "idiots on the internet" thread, and I responded, then realized what thread it is. So I'm gonna repost here, because it's more relevant to this conversation, and also expand on it a bit.

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:

My first reaction was to call Poe. After looking at her Twitter account history, I still cannot tell. Either she's doing an impression of the humorless, manhating, lesbian TERF stereotype, or she embodies it.

However it does appear that there's a conspiracy theory that she's trans and the media is covering it up.

People are also focusing on the fact that she's Iranian-American, however aside from the fact that Shiites generally don't commit Islamist terrorism (even Hezbollah is more about killing Jews than spreading Islam), ....

...Well, aside from her being an animal rights activist suggesting she's a crank.

But if she's a crank, it would indicate that her stated motivations are her actual motivations.

A curiosity has come about from it though, on /pol/. Apparently, most of them have discarded the "transexual conspiracy theory" and don't seem to care much that she's a Persian vegan anti-capitalist. Some even embracing her as "Aryan"... Well, you know where this is going.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep