Neo-Nazi becomes Republican congressional candidate

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Neo-Nazi becomes Republican congressional candidate

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am

Arthur J. Jones became the Republican candidate in the upcoming election in Illionois's 3rd congressional district. He's a Neo-Nazi. This is not an exaggeration. He used to be the leader of the American Nazi Party. On his campaign website, he has a section dedicated to Holocaust denial. He used to support Trump but no longer does, because Trump "surrounded himself with hordes of Jews".

The 3rd district is so blue that the Republicans didn't bother to run anyone there. Jones took advantage of this, and managed to got his name on the ballot (you only need a few hundred signatures for that). Even though the Illinois Republican Party and the RNC officially condemned him, he got 20,000 votes in the Republican primary (where he was the only candidate). Hopefully, those where from people who always vote straight Republican and don't know who Jones is.

Last edited by Aquila89 on Fri May 04, 2018 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Neo-Nazi becomes Republican congressional candidate

Postby Krashlia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:37 pm

He seeped in through the cracks like some sort of disease, rot, or malignant spirit.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:53 pm

The state GOP even spent some of their campaign funds opposing him, sending out mailers and running ads disavowing him. Without an opposing primary candidate, though, stopping him from winning the nomination was a lost cause, especially with so many moderate Republicans jumping ship and voting in the Democratic primary to save the incumbent Dan Lipinski from his more socially liberal primary challenger.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Well, Jones got about 26,5% of the vote, which means that over 56,000 people voted for him. Not exactly encouraging. Do these people know who he is? Do tens of thousands of voters in Illinois really want an actual neo-Nazi to represent them?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Delta Jim » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Well, Jones got about 26,5% of the vote, which means that over 56,000 people voted for him. Not exactly encouraging. Do these people know who he is? Do tens of thousands of voters in Illinois really want an actual neo-Nazi to represent them?

At LeAsT hE iSn'T a MaDiGaN cRoNy!

(Mike Madigan is the Illinois GOP's version of George Soros, a boogeyman who the Illinois GOP blames literally everything they don't like on. Roughly 90% of the Republican political ads this election could be summarized as "this guy's ideological views are things most Democrats believe in. Mike Madigan is a Democrat. Therefore this guy is a Madigan crony".)

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Because they're polite and therefore easily trampled.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:18 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:As a side note along this line, why doesn't the left meme the fuck out of the Koch Brothers whenever Soros is mentioned?

I don't know about most leftists, but after my father started attending Resistance meetings he started complaining to me about the Koch brothers.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 pm

The diehard economic leftists I know talk about the Kochs a lot, even nowadays when the Kochs are pretty pissed at the GOP for pursuing trade protectionism and increasing government spending and so forth. That said, the energy on the left these days is with the progressive wing, which seems to find Trump a more satisfying billionaire to hate than the socially-liberalish Kochs.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ftl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:17 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
As a side note along this line, why doesn't the left meme the fuck out of the Koch Brothers whenever Soros is mentioned?

Because the Soros thing is catchy on the right in part because of the anti-semitism, and thus the equivalent memes from the other side don't have the same catchy effect.

ftl
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am

ghijkmnop wrote:I'm willing to bet that 2500 of them did, while the other 53500 voted for the R on the ballot.

Well, it's still not very encouraging that so many people vote without knowing anything about their candidate. I mean, it takes a Google search and five minutes to find out who this guy is; as I've written, he had a Holocaust denial section on his official campaign website.

But as I was getting ready to criticize uninformed voters, I started to think: how much did I know about the cadidate I voted for at the 2018 Hungarian parliamentary elections? Nothing, aside from his name, his party and that he was the most likely to beat the Fidesz candidate. Still, I think I would've known if he was a neo-Nazi. After all, I found out that Arthur Jones was one, from reading the news, and I read the Hungarian news too.

Last edited by Aquila89 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:58 pm

It's not always easy to find information on what will be on the ballot, much less what the deal with the opposing candidates is. In Massachusetts, where the state attorney-general sends out a detailed guide every election, I always based my votes for county clerk, registrar of deeds, and DA on what my mother said, because those races don't have websites and get minimal coverage. Without my mother being involved in the local community, I would be lost. Without knowing about the candidates, partisan affiliation is usually good heuristic if the parties have divergent positions on issues you care about.

Austin has about two dozen judicial races every election and it's hard to find information on what races will be on my ballot, much less the record of any set of candidates. So I vote for Democratic judges in the hope that Democrats are on average somewhat less likely to purse "tough on crime" nonsense.

Similarly, because I could not find a sample ballot for my district, I didn't realize several state-wide offices and the schoolboard were on the ballot, and only realized the Austin Community College trustees were on the ballot because canvassers came to my door about one of them. I voted for Democrats this time as a "fuck you" to Republicans after Kavanaugh (though I almost voted for George P. Bush as land commissioner because he seems to be doing pretty good work and in a normal year I'd have voted for him). I left the schoolboard blank, but if it had been partisan, I would have voted Republican because Republicans are less likely to defend school administrators and teacher's unions.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:27 pm

I would never criticize someone for not being informed about schoolboard or country clerk elections.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:49 pm

They didn't mail you a sample ballot sellers? We each got one and about 15 notices that our polling place changed.

Our local newspaper also had an article I kept open in my phone that gave an overview of candidates and it included party affiliation for the school board because that wasn't shown on the ballot.

My district stayed blue after John Delaney went crazy off the edge of perceptible reality with his Presidential dreams and gave up his seat. Of course this is the gerrymandered Maryland 6th district that needs redrawn according to courts. Not like it matters since neither Trone or Hoeber live in this district. They're both rich af and out of touch but at least he's not a Trump supporter.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Next