Pedestrian Bridge in Florida Collapsed-Fatalities expected

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Pedestrian Bridge in Florida Collapsed-Fatalities expected

Postby sunglasses » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 pm

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrul ... qcoKyN70e6

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 16174.html

Per the Miami Herald it was still under construction, rather then recently completed. We shall see how the story evolves.

Persons were stopped at a traffic light when the bridge "suddenly collapsed" on top of several cars. No official death count is known. It's alleged that a concrete pier that was supporting the bridge collapsed to the side.

There is going to be an investigation, but there's just not a lot known right now.

This is a developing story.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Pedestrian Bridge in Florida Collapsed-Fatalities expect

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Oh sure! Now even the infrastructure is committing mass killings! When will it stop? When will the violence end??

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am

And it was built with advanced construction methods in just a few hours too!

Engineering fail. Someone needs to play with tape and straws to get bridges right while they serve time for fucking this up.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm

iMURDAu wrote:And it was built with advanced construction methods in just a few hours too!

To be completely accurate, it was actually built over several months, but was constructed alongside the road and then swung into position, to avoid closing the road throughout the construction.

I've heard (from someone discussing this on my other forum) that some work was going on on the bridge at the time it collapsed, but they didn't provide a source and I haven't been able to find any reporting that says so.

They said they had heard that it was being stress-tested (by pulling upwards with a crane), but it does rather beggar belief that that would be done while traffic passed underneath - if it was a test, then there must have been some possibility of failure, so I am sceptical about that claim (even for Florida).

Another person then suggested that perhaps this was a misinterpretation of the bridge's being "post-tensioned" which I find slightly more believable. However, firstly it still seems quite negligent to allow traffic to pass under while construction work is actively ongoing and secondly, it was then commented that it was ridiculous to put the bridge in position and allow traffic to pass under it without this being done already, especially with the suspension not yet in place and given the design of the bridge. I am not qualified to have an opinion on that, nor on the suggestion that due to the design the bridge may have been too weak to support its own weight without that suspension and should never have been left in place or had traffic pass under it without being supported unsupported.

However as I've already mentioned, I haven't been able to find where anything was reported about work being carried out at the time of the disaster, so this is mere hearsay.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:48 am

They don't post-tension actually. It's been found that structures are safer when "pre-tensioned" and considering that they weren't building this structure in place it'd definitely be a "pre-tensioned" structure.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:00 am

I'm now hearing there were some kind of suspension cables - I get the impression it was a temporary arrangement until the central pylon was up and the main cables could be put in place, but I guess it could be some kind of secondary suspension system. Apparently (according to Marco Rubio, who for anyone who doesn't know is apparently Senator for Florida, in a tweet) these cables had come loose and were being tightened.

The Mayor of Miami-Dade was apparently the one who said it was a stress-test, and so far as I can work out he was just wrong.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:49 pm

http://wreg.com/2018/03/16/construction-company-involved-in-collapsed-fiu-bridge-had-safety-complaints/

And then, this came up in the same results list off of Google:

Screenshot_20180317-114407.jpg
Screenshot_20180317-114407.jpg (535.54 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep