Rex Tillerson has been fired

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Rex Tillerson has been fired

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Rex Tillerson was canned today and will be replaced by CIA director Mike Pompeo. Evidently Trump hasn't been happy with Tillerson for awhile now, I guess Tillerson was too much a voice of reason for him and not really a yes man as he was hoping for. This of course coming at a great time considering he's meeting with NK AND wants to negotiate tariffs with our allies. So not only do we get a peace treaty with NK but hey this might pontentially lead to the US being part of the axis of evil 2.0(with Russia and NK)!

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Rex Tillerson has been fired

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Tillerson was the one who prevented Sarah Palin from becoming Ambassador to Canada, so I guess we can look forward to that, now.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Apparently, Tillerson found out he was fired through Trump's tweet.

Wow. Just, wow.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Krashlia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Tillerson was the one who prevented Sarah Palin from becoming Ambassador to Canada, so I guess we can look forward to that, now.

Actually, maybe its better that Sarah Palin in ambassador to Canada... (Taking our relationship to Canada for granted)

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm

It'll be interesting to see if Munchin and Mattis will resign soon because of this. Apparently the three agreed that if one was canned the other would folllow.

Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Undersecretary of Public Diplomacy Steve Goldstein was fired for contradicting the President's reason for dismissal.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Irishjava » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:00 pm

I can't wait to shove this right in my therapist's smug face. "Your constant sense of personal dread and impending doom is unhealthy, it prevents you from thinking long term and damages your career and relationships" she said. Now that it's apparent the president fires people through tweets with no planned transition and that sycophantic torture-booster Pompeo is in charge of DIPLOMACY now, who's world is teetering on the brink of imminent collapse now, Karen?!

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Do you think they even bother putting nameplates on the doors of Trump's senior staff anymore?

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Absentia wrote:Do you think they even bother putting nameplates on the doors of Trump's senior staff anymore?

I assume they put a chalk board up so it's easier.

Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 pm

This is the second time Trump replaces someone he fired with someone else he already appointed to a different position. Is that a regular thing? Did other presidents do it?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 pm

He should have been a better team player but he did win as project manager iirc.

We're talking about The Apprentice right?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:23 am

Aquila89 wrote:This is the second time Trump replaces someone he fired with someone else he already appointed to a different position. Is that a regular thing? Did other presidents do it?

As far as I can remember (which isn't very far or specific), it isn't all that unusual. The number of times people are being shuffled around is the unusual part, of course.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:15 am

So is Trump the first president to actually say that staff members are being fired? My impression is that typically cabinet members aren't fired; they just resign to spend more time with their families.

Also, doesn't Pompeo need to be confirmed by the Senate before he can run the State Department? I know that he was confirmed to his old position by the Senate, but that was for his old position.

I mean, as scary as Ben Carson is at HUD, can y'all imagine if Trump suddenly moved him to the Department of Defense?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Delta Jim » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 am

Say that 3 times fast.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 am

cmsellers wrote:So is Trump the first president to actually say that staff members are being fired? My impression is that typically cabinet members aren't fired; they just resign to spend more time with their families.

Also, doesn't Pompeo need to be confirmed by the Senate before he can run the State Department?

He does. But it doesn't seem like anyone is expecting him not to be confirmed. He was confirmed 66-32 for the position of CIA director, and with the election looming I suspect he'll get the support of some red-state Democrats once again even if the rest of the caucus holds firm. Meanwhile, other than Rand Paul and possibly Susan Collins I don't see him losing any Republican votes. Even if he loses Collins and Paul, and both McCain and Cochran are out sick when the vote is taken, he can still get to 50 by peeling off only 3 Democratic votes, which he'll easily get.

Of course, the usual Trump era disclaimer applies here: we could find out tomorrow that he molests dogs or eats babies or voted for Hillary, and if that happens all the above is null and void. But in the absence of such a bombshell, it seems like Pompeo has a pretty smooth path to confirmation.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next