TCS Write-Off March 2018

Have fun. Win stuff. Do things.

TCS Write-Off March 2018

Postby Marcuse » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Welcome one and all to the TCS Write-Off March 2018!

This is the place for TCSers to flex their literary muscles, and compete with each other for the most interesting and compelling stories we can come up with.

Let’s go over the rules and how things work:

- Story length is up to 4000 words total (including any asides or additional notes).
- Please include a title for your piece. If you do not choose a title, you are implicitly giving us permission to title your piece whatever we want; "Moldy Bread" "Baby's Feet" "I, {Username}, Love Donald Trump" (Oh yes we would).
- Stories can include images, but are limited to a maximum of three per story.
- All stories must follow the usual TCS rules.
- Instances of plagiarism will not be tolerated, please make sure all works are entirely original.
- The contest will run from February 25th 2018 to March 25th 2018. That's an entire month to write, folks!
- All story submissions must be PM’d to Marcuse before the end of March 25th (that is, you should have it in by 23:59 GMT).
- The voting will not start until we have a minimum of 5 submissions.

To be very clear, this does technically mean you can submit after the deadline if not enough entries have come in yet, but first of all, that's a pretty big gamble, and secondly, doing that on purpose isn't very nice or considerate of the people who run the contest or the other people who have entered.

- All submissions will be posted by Marcuse, anonymously, in random order, in a locked thread created for that purpose. All stories will be posted under the TCS Writebot account.
- Stories will be judged by poll created when the thread of stories is posted. Voting will continue for one week, ending exactly one week after it is posted. The story with the highest vote wins.
- The winning story will be featured on the front page of the site under the name of the winning author. Every story will be kept in the Fridge, and the posters changed to the authors of the story, and the thread unlocked for comment.
- Questions, confusion and disputes will be handled by Marcuse, please PM him for clarification or to report any problems.

Theme - The theme of this contest will be: OPEN CATEGORY

Choosing a theme can be so passe amirite? In the interests of allowing as many people to join in as possible, I'm testing a new open category where anyone can submit any story they want to write. Please keep things within the rules of the forum and the contest. This doesn't mean themed contests are going away.

A note on critique - it is often preferable to seek the critique of other people before posting something to a contest, this is true here. However, for those critiquing, please remember to keep your points constructive and designed to help the author improve their piece. This is advice for private criticism, and strongly advised for post-contest comment. We’re meant to be building up here, not tearing down.

The contest will officially begin on the 25th February, submissions will be due by the end of the day on the 25th of March, and the voting will run until the 1st April. So what are you waiting for? Get writing!

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: TCS Write-Off March 2018

Postby LaoWai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:48 am

So, are we allowed to do dong-themed stuff? Like, really long dong-stories (under 4000 words, of course--who wants a longer dong-themed piece)? If I've got a long-dong-piece, can I put it in?

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 am

LaoWai wrote:So, are we allowed to do dong-themed stuff? Like, really long dong-stories (under 4000 words, of course--who wants a longer dong-themed piece)? If I've got a long-dong-piece, can I put it in?

If it's open, you can put a dong in it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:36 pm

It's a shame reputation is turned off for this thread, because I got two thumbs with your names on them.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby LaoWai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Well, IamNotCreepy, that reminds me of a joke that keeps this here competition announcement up near the top of the heap:

A guy goes into his doctor and says, "Oh, man, I'm having trouble taking a dump, and when I do finally take a dump, it's painful as all get out."

The doctor tells him to bend over for an exam, and shortly thereafter, he asks, "Feeling pain now?"

The guy, says, "A bit."

"How about now?" asks the doctor, and it's just searing, ridiculous pain for the guy on the table.

"Oh," the guy says, "That's exactly the kind of pain I've been having."

"Well," says the doctor, "I can see what the problem is right away."

"It's not..." the guy is naturally nervous and what-not. "It's not like cancer or something like that, is it?"

"Cancer?" the doctor chuckls. "No, it's not cancer. The problem is that you've got a few fingers up your ass."

Wocka, wocka, wocka.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 pm

...and I just now saw this.

So here's my story:

There once was a woman named Sunny
Who convinced everyone one that she was a bit funny
After all, it was a bit odd
That she kept trying to eat Todd
But they assumed it was because he smelled of honey

Wait no, that's a limerick.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby LaoWai » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 am

sunglasses wrote:There once was a woman named Sunny
Who convinced everyone one that she was a bit funny
After all, it was a bit odd
That she kept trying to eat Todd
But they assumed it was because he smelled of honey

I once met a young man from Kent,
Whose dong was quite long and quite bent.
To save himself trouble,
He'd put it in doubled.
Instead of having came, he went.

Both of these limericks are fails, because no one dies in them.

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:22 am

There was a young man of Nantucket...

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian