Weird world: US gun sales slump because not Hillary won

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Weird world: US gun sales slump because not Hillary won

Postby blehblah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... lump-sales

After a golden era of sales under Barack Obama, America’s gun manufacturers are in trouble. Sales have tumbled, leaving the companies with too much stock on their hands and falling revenues. The crunch claimed its biggest victim this week when Remington filed for bankruptcy.

The move does not mean the end. Remington is using the US’s chapter 11 bankruptcy law to offload $700m of its $950m in debt, and to restructure the company. But it does underscore the level of distress in the industry.

In December, American Outdoor Brands, the owner of Smith & Wesson, reported that its profits had fallen 90% year over year, from $32m to just $3.2m. Sales fell 36%. Last October, Sturm Ruger, the US’s largest firearm manufacturer, announced its quarterly revenues had fallen 35%. Both companies will report their latest results shortly but neither is expected to announce a dramatic increase in sales.

[...]

With Trump in the White House, said Spitzer, gun sales had sharply defaulted to their long-term trend of declining ownership rates.

“Gun ownership has been declining since the 1970s and there are now fewer gun owners than ever,” said Spitzer. Fewer people are hunting, younger people are less interested in gun ownership and the gun industry has had little success in its attempts to appeal to women and minorities.

Ninety-percent drop in profits in one year? Ouch.

Okay, okay, okay... let me get this straight. If the NRA is controlled primarily by manufacturers, and manufacturers are primarily concerned with profits, shouldn't they be supporting, generally, Democrats?

Spitzer said there may be better news aheads for the gun companies. In November, Americans return to the polls again for midterm elections, raising the possibility of major gains by Democrats, given Trump’s historically low poll numbers and a pattern of poor performance for the president’s party in midterms.

“If the Democrats do well, the gun industry and the NRA [National Rifle Association] will no doubt use it as an opportunity to issue dire warnings about gun rights. Their aim is to press as many guns into the hands of as many people as possible,” Spitzer said.

I got this; they need to support pro-gun folks, but really hope they totally bomb so the other guys take-over, right? In that case, it would make sense to support the most over-the-top, dare I say slightly insane, pro-gun folks, rather than run-of-the-mill pro-gun folks (I seem to recall most individual gun owners, or maybe even NRA members, support things like background checks... or stats to that effect).

Remington, owned by Cerberus Capital Management, made the Bushmaster AR-15 style rifle that was used in the Connecticut shooting. The company is being sued by the parents of the victims in the Connecticut supreme court.

After the shooting, Cerberus, whose billionaire chief executive Stephen Feinberg was a major Trump supporter, came under pressure from its investors to sell Remington.

But Cerberus struggled to find a buyer for the company and settled for letting its investors sell their shares in the company. The bankruptcy agreement will let Cerberus sever its ties with Remington.

Stephen had the right idea, but I guess it was just shit luck that Trump actually won. In fairness, it is quite a fine line to walk.

What they should do is start running ad campaigns like:

Epic Voice-Over: Imagine a world where there are no guns.
Image Montage: Obama, Hillary, highly selective clips edited for, erm, 'clarity'
EVO: They have been defeated, but the war rages on.
IM: Empty gun stores, defeated-looking workers walking out of a gun factory with a comically large "Out of Business" sign
EVO: If you are not buying guns, we can't keep making guns, and if we're not making guns, what will you do when the next wave overcomes you?
IM: Antifa doing their thing, other protests, maybe those gals in the knit hats burning a car, or whatever floats your boat
EVO: The midterms are under threat by the FAKE NEWS (Trump clip) and the mainstream media is working to put anti-gun people in Congress - and on to the Oval Office (Muller flash). Fear the future; buy guns now, and tomorrow, and don't stop, before it's too late. Don't forget bullets, because they go bad, you know.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Re: Weird world: US gun sales slump because not Hillary won

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:34 pm

If US gun manufacturers were smart they'd take advantage of Trump Derangement Syndrome to start marketing towards Democrats.

"The Constitution guarantees your right to defend yourself against crooks, sexual predators, and aspiring tyrants. Get your handguns, rifles, and submachine guns before it's too late!"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby blehblah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 pm

cmsellers wrote:If US gun manufacturers were smart they'd take advantage of Trump Derangement Syndrome to start marketing towards Democrats.

"The Constitution guarantees your right to defend yourself against crooks, sexual predators, and aspiring tyrants. Get your handguns, rifles, and submachine guns before it's too late!"

You may be on to something, CM. After-all, the article did say the industry has had trouble selling to women and minorities.

Nailed it.
Where do I sign for my Mad Men job?

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:07 am

cmsellers wrote:If US gun manufacturers were smart they'd take advantage of Trump Derangement Syndrome to start marketing towards Democrats.

phpBB [video]

Epic Voice-Over: Imagine a world where there are no guns.
Image Montage: Obama, Hillary, highly selective clips edited for, erm, 'clarity'
EVO: They have been defeated, but the war rages on.
IM: Empty gun stores, defeated-looking workers walking out of a gun factory with a comically large "Out of Business" sign
EVO: If you are not buying guns, we can't keep making guns, and if we're not making guns, what will you do when the next wave overcomes you?
IM: Antifa doing their thing, other protests, maybe those gals in the knit hats burning a car, or whatever floats your boat
EVO: The midterms are under threat by the FAKE NEWS (Trump clip) and the mainstream media is working to put anti-gun people in Congress - and on to the Oval Office (Muller flash). Fear the future; buy guns now, and tomorrow, and don't stop, before it's too late. Don't forget bullets, because they go bad, you know.

This commercial is missing concerned looking old people, oblivious kids innocently playing on front lawns, worried people in houses looking out of venetian blinds, people in bed before hearing a knock on their door, and suspicious, lean and vaguely foreign males in old or beat up vehicles staring intently before driving off. Maybe also a young woman with a purse walking through a seedy and smokey looking place at night, if you feel the need to expand your demo.

Last edited by Krashlia on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 am

All they need to do is use the surplus to secretly arm Antifa and BLM and feminists, then use the threat of newly armed leftists to draw out their core market again. Antifa could just be a really subtle form of viral marketing.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Krashlia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 am

Anglerphobe wrote:All they need to do is use the surplus to secretly arm Antifa and BLM and feminists, then use the threat of newly armed leftists to draw out their core market again. Antifa could just be a really subtle form of viral marketing.

That would be a very "Belka" thing to do. Could you imagine? What Belkan bastards.
But, I'm currently wondering if Martin Luther King's "dream speech" might be ripe for abuse for advertising guns to Black people, so I might be Belkan myself.

Commericlal for selling gun to Black people will include:
A bald, but goateed, black guy or two.
A black family consisting of a Mother and Father and at most two (three if you're feeling daring) kids. It's night at they're grimly looking at a glowing tv set as angry politicians rant and crowds cheer. One of the kids looks up with some blank confusion on their face, as the father looks back down their smile barely hiding worry and holds them closer.
Black person in business causual (spread a news paper and a coffee mug on their kitchen table/counter) looking worriedly out of venetian blind.
slightly black female neighbor wanting to know what happened as Police ask for calm and to keep distance, while they are trying to comfort or interview a couple outside their taped up home (At night, make good use of the lighting).
A black daughter coming from some location, observing (camera panning by) the little group of intimidating, gangly, dark eyed, and suspicious looking white, blond dudes (throw in the vaguely suspicious flags, decals, and markings).
White, Hostile looking, bearded, bald man in Red, with Blue borders, Van (vaguely confederate look) staring intently out of window before driving off suddenly.
Black kids innocently playing outside.
Older people, and a Bible or Church setting. Now you're good to go.

Screw it. MLK Jr. had guns. Just tell them "the dream needs back up" around every Feburary or so.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 am

I mean, this isn't rocket surgery, this is why they're suddenly making all these ads basically fomenting an ideological civil war versus liberals, the New York Times, and the East Coast, because Wayne LaPierre has realized that without Obama, they don't have someone to stir gun owners up against. If it has to be 40% of the country, then oh well, long as gun sales are going up. I would like to think that this is a kind of admonishment against the more crazy pro gun groups, but I know better. It's just because a Democrat isn't president.

At work, I recently admonished someone at work over the whole "We need our guns in case the government takes over" thing, reminding them that their handgun or AR-15 isn't going to mean shit against the jets, tanks, ships and ballistic missiles that the US military possesses.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 am

I've always hated guns, which is weird for someone raised in rural Alabama by a fucking gun nut. I don't hate them on a philosophical level - I think of guns as tools that can be used for good or evil. I hate them because they're fucking LOUD and I never got the hang of aiming one properly whilst bracing for the godawful BOOM and kick. As a result, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a load of buckshot. A hyperbolic figure of speech, but you get the idea. I have a beautiful, expensive, custom-forged katana that I keep for home defense, along with enough formal martial arts training to figure out which end to hold and which to swing/jab. I even named it after a (non-Pov) member of this forum, whom I'm sure no one could ever guess!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby blehblah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 pm

The Blehblahtana, obviously.

Sheesh, at least make it difficult.

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Is it the Governmentsgetgfs katana? I bet it's the Governmentsgetgfs katana.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:Is it the Governmentsgetgfs katana? I bet it's the Governmentsgetgfs katana.

Shh. You'll summon him. :shock:

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Ah, exploit the "Roof Hole".

Show a church setting with your Black youth pastor and multi-ethnic youths (a white guy is okay too) gathering around to pray. But, also focus on a sunken eyed and vaguely mean looking sandy blond white kid sitting all the way in the back, near center aisle.
Why is he so far from the others? Thats strange. Is it?
What does he want? What *does* he want?
Well, He's not praying, so Why is he there? We don't know.

But, uh, I mean, if something happened... wouldn't you want to be ready?

#NRAGibMeMunnies

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:12 am

Gun sales about to spike now that we have another mass school shooting courtesy of FLORIDA MAN

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:37 pm

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:Gun sales about to spike now that we have another mass school shooting courtesy of FLORIDA MAN

When I saw the news my thoughts ran themselves back to this thread as sort-of an, "Ugh, shit - so flippant" gut reaction. Selfish, in a way, and ultimately pointless.

If I'm not mistaken, reports indicate an AR-15 was used in the latest incident. It was mentioned in the original article, since Remington is being sued by the parents of Sandy Hook victims.

This isn't the thread to get into it all, so I'll leave it at that.

blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 pm

What kind of case could they bring against the company? If a gun company was responsible for what people end up doing with its products, the prisons would be stuffed with their executives.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Next